Thread: Game Changer for the Coast

Default Game Changer for the Coast

http://www.elportonverde.com/2016/02...erway-project/

That plus an all weather, paved, east-west road would really open up the Caribbean coast,, for better or worse.

Can you imagine the tourist potential?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Game Changer for the Coast

Easier for getting Ortega's occupation force moved over.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have no idea why but some powerful elements on this side want it not.... the East West thing.

North and South, a canal was started and dug by hand at one time to reach from "The Port", Well the Republic of Lamblaya to the southerd. 10 meters wide and 2 meters deep. I think the Danish Government was financing it.

I was contracted with my boat to take a load of wheelbarrows and shovels and supplies to the site deep into the "mangles" (Mangroves) to the south just before the Waawah bar mouth. I took a boat load of things (100 wheelbarrows) to the site where they were working. They had some 300 people to that first camp including the women folks that cooked for the team. I don't know what happened to the project but now you can go and come from Waunta and Haulover to "The Port" by the interior. Before they had to go outside and Many were lost at the two bar mouths from time to time on the skiffs. It was there the project stopped.

I wish I had paid more attention and took photos of it, but that was in the day's before digital camera phones, Hell, even before cell phones when ya could only get a telegram in and out of here or a high freeqwuency radio call patch to a phone with the help of people that amitured on Ham Radio.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

A smaller version of the Dredger pictured is already docked at El Bluff.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Perico
    Blog Entries

KeyWest,

Can you help me? Driving to Nicaragua from California seems very practicable allowing me to bring my dog's and using a tourist stamp for my car. No impound and major stress to my dogs. Get mixed bag of responses to safety. It would be at least 2 people to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by prpcof View Post
    KeyWest,

Can you help me? Driving to Nicaragua from California seems very practicable allowing me to bring my dog's and using a tourist stamp for my car. No impound and major stress to my dogs. Get mixed bag of responses to safety. It would be at least 2 people to drive.

We are driving down towards the end of March, but the exact date is still a bit up in the air. I suspect that it will be the last of the month.
    Easter Sunday is the 27th, and you really want to avoid traveling in Hispanic countries during Easter week.

We were planning on a leisurely trip south this time.

You are certainly welcome to come with us.
    Our route is through Nogales, Arizona,, Mexico 15 to Mazatlan, SE to Tepic, Guadalajara, over the top of Mexico City via the Arco Norte, and south to Puebla, Oaxaca, Tapachula, cross at Ciudad Hidalgo.

Overnight in Tecun Uman. Through Guatemala one day, overnight at some point close to the El Salvador border, through El Salvador (I generally spend the night in San Miguel, and that makes Honduras an easy to cross four hours the next morning.

Enter Nicaragua at El Espino, I know a lot of people there. Estelí is two hours south of the border, lots of good hotels. Catch your breath and on to your destination.

If you are taking a lot of stuff, we should talk beforehand.
    Mexico is not a problem, much like being in the US,, but the CA countries still generate a substantial part of their revenue through customs duties, so your stuff has to be described and listed so it looks and smells like tourist stuff.

It's a great trip. Toll roads most of the way. Then you hit Guatemala

Dog is no problem if you have the necessary veterinary permit, Honduras has been a problem in the past but I understand no more.
    How big is the dog?