Thread: Flat Black Winnebago-revisited

Default Flat Black Winnebago-revisited

Hopefully Donistan doesn't latch onto this one.

Anyway, not that any of you really know me and are probably wonder why I am giving you an update.
    In short, the trip was delayed by me thinking I should just get divorced before I leave. Then I thought, well hell, I hear the girls in Colombia are prettier. Then I figured, well, I already have bank accounts and friends in Costa Rica. So I visited both,...
    But Colombia and Costa Rica don't have what Nicaragua has (although, they have a lot more!) What is it that Nicaragua has?
    That wild west feel? The urge to tell the US to GFY? Expensive fuel?
    I don't know. I have always liked Nicaragua. Even back in '96, when I should have bought half of SJDS for twelve thousand dollars,... (dammit!)

Anyhow, so I am back, looking for property in Nicaragua.
    I am a farmer, coffee roaster and former restaurateur. I was going to buy a farm in Jinotega and a beachfront in Las Penitas. Farm some beef, raise some chickens and have a coffee shop/taco cantina on the beach. ( we can all dream right? nobody dreams of just turning into an alcoholic and picking up aluminum cans on the side of the road)

But all of a sudden I find myself looking at farms in RAAN and RAAS.
    Am I crazy? ( I sold the flat black winnebago BTW)
    Anybody in Bluefields or Puerto Cabezas (I won't mention any names, no pressure to comment)
    Whats the deal there? I have never been west of Wiwili.
    Does it rain all the time?
    People are poorer, more thievery?
    Is it like Harrison Fords Mosquito Coast movie? Or was that another one of those Greenland/Iceland redirection tricks?
    This looks lovely. http://www.encuentra24.com/nicaragua...ustica/3869498
    I doubt they will get 750K for it but it doesn't look like the swampy manglar zancudo nightmare I have been sold.

I appreciate any and all comments. Even from people who live in Jinotepe.
    Sell me on your neighbourhood. I want to hear why you chose where you are and why its great.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Flat Black Winnebago-revisited

I am gone give ya the standard good advise...

Come over for a while, rent a place kinda centrally located and look for yourself. ask around and talk to people.

We have four seasons, Rain, dry time, rain, and dry time again... Not bad though IMO....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Don't forget the mosquito season. JW's advice is right on the money. Weather there is livable, not as windy as Carazo.
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

Blog Entries

RAAN...talk to JPJW
    RAAS....talk to Cookshow
    Jinotepe....talk to Catahoula Fan
    Sheboygan....talk to Doniston
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    RAAN...talk to JPJW
    RAAS....talk to Cookshow
    Jinotepe....talk to Catahoula Fan
    Sheboygan....talk to Doniston

I miss Doniston. Did he ever make the trip?

True, he was a nutcake on a Fruit Loops diet, but for a guy to make the trip the way he described it at 85, well,, you have to wonder,, did he make it?

Blog Entries

Far as the Coast goes, it is livable, if you are not quite righted. Other than the Islands any business depending on tourists is likely to fail, and even there the success rate is slim.

Rain(s) in RAAS: Seen anywhere from 100 - 200 inches in a year (yes an 8 foot difference). Seen as little as an inch in one month and 4 feet in another. The "seasons" are becoming less defined. We are in the "Dry" right now and it has rained every day for the last week.

Land still looks "cheap" over here but the Coast is Light Years behind the "Pacific" (how we refer to anything other than RAAN/RAAS). Bluefields and Port have grown into proper towns and you can get most of what you need there (although usually at a premium).

You can easily be a lifetime away from medical care here (the kind that can save you anyway), even in the "populated" areas.

Lots of people that move to the Coast don't last long, even those that had fallen in love with it. There are a few nut jobs that call it home but they are unlikely to be the kind of people you want to associate with, I think they are all on my phone.

Guess it is fair to say that I like it but it is not for everyone.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Yea I am on your phone Cookshoe, and for that comment I am gone call you till ya block me for some peace... Damn, you are hard to get along with!

I call ya what? Maybe once a month and you are crying about that??????

Yes it has been raining here a bit as well and has caused me some loss of time re-doing the outside of my house... BUT I will survive it... VERY Purdy today.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Ha, I was talking about the other Nut Jobs, me and you are about the only "righted" people on this side.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Yep, We are Here, because we are NOT all there!

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Ha, I was talking about the other Nut Jobs, me and you are about the only "righted" people on this side.
    Thanks for explaining. I was worried my friends might be stranger than I knew.
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Torpedo View Post
    But all of a sudden I find myself looking at farms in RAAN and RAAS.
    Am I crazy? ( I sold the flat black winnebago BTW)
    Anybody in Bluefields or Puerto Cabezas (I won't mention any names, no pressure to comment)
    Whats the deal there? I have never been west of Wiwili.
    Does it rain all the time?
    People are poorer, more thievery?
    Is it like Harrison Fords Mosquito Coast movie? Or was that another one of those Greenland/Iceland redirection tricks?
    This looks lovely. http://www.encuentra24.com/nicaragua...ustica/3869498
    I doubt they will get 750K for it but it doesn't look like the swampy manglar zancudo nightmare I have been sold.

I appreciate any and all comments. Even from people who live in Jinotepe.
    Sell me on your neighbourhood. I want to hear why you chose where you are and why its great.
    Sadly still haven't gotten up to RAAN. Know a bit about RAAS and BLU. Strongly recommend visiting first, its tough living when you get away from town. Thievery isn't bad as long as you are cautious, 10 years and I've only been gotten once, new machete swapped for an old one when getting them sharpened, was rushed my fault. I enjoy the rain, usually doesn't last long if its a big rain. Green season much prettier anyways.

Real-estate is a contact sport in Nica. If its on the internet its either overpriced or a scam a large % of the time. Even with due diligence expect someone to try and hustle you after the fact, some second cousin will always pop up saying they are part owner. No such thing as a poor gringo. Holler if you have questions.