Thread: Man Yule?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Man Yule?

Man Yule?

OK, I havebeen a working on my wooden shack on the DAC from Dec 14, 2015 like a one armedman to a wood chopping contest. Sunday’s only off.

Thank Godthe outside of it is just about finished with putting the ply-cym siding on it.After 14 years of the clap-board it was to say the least, in dire need of aface lifting.

I rememberpeople here a telling me that this “Young Pine” is not like “First Time” whenthe pine wood used to build wooden houses with was “Good Wood”, and to look atsome of the old houses 40 to 60 years old that are still standing.

So I figuredto myself, what the heck, I’ll built out of young pine way up on stilts (PineWood also) and as I go along, build out of cinder blocks from down below up. OKI did that for the ground floor level. Worked out nice.

Hurricane Felixcame along, I had the bottom half done in blocks, had put cables and anchorsdown on the wooden shack up on stilts to start with. Wind Blew like I had nevahseen it in my life. Every bit of the wood stayed in place and the zinc pealedoff the top of my humble abode like Liverache a doing a run on the pianokeyboard.

The zincwent with the nails heads pulled off of them dancing out across the grassyplain… The wood stood firm not a bit of it went with the zinc.

So when Istarted in on putting the new siding of ply-cym, I figured was gone have toreplace some framing. Nope, added some to allow for the new winder framing andthe furring strips to nail the ply-cym properly, but no rotten wood did I findof any honorable mention. So that BS about “Young Pine” is just that to me BS.I had given it 5 coats of oil anti-corrosive Modelo paint so it soaked in thewood real good and nevah painted again in the 14 years. (shame on me huh?)

Now I can’t holdout to do any of the work, but the labor pool around here is full of youngstrong men willing to work. Despite some people’s opinions that labor is freein Nicaragua?

I thinkthose kind of people ought to go find a nice coconut tree in the shade alonesomewhere and try and smoke a stick of Dynamite. That is how intelligent I thinkthey are.

So schoolwas out and I asked my youngest son, one of his friends that impressed me, andthe feller that I got to chop my property (100 meters X 100 meters) on acontract several times.

My son 19,the friend 20 BTW who is still in High School, and the 20 year old Bush Chopperhave done the work according to my coaching. It is far from perfect, but willserve, they and I both did learn a lot and toward the end of the siding job,looks damn good.

Now the BushChopper’s name is Manuel and I have a hard time remembering his name. he lookslike a Miguel to me and I often make that mistake. When I do I sing his femalecounterpart name “Manuella” as the song goes and everyone laughs.

Ok, here isthe deal I made with them. Work starts at 7:30 AM, go to lunch at 11:30, a 1 -1/2hour lunch break, 5:00 quitting time.

I pay 150Cordobas a day cash every day, if you come before 7:15 AM ya get breakfast,lunch will be served at 11:30. If you work complete Mon-Fri, Sat is a half daywork at full day’s pay. No Sunday work.

But BushChopper Manuel, I know when he comes in the yard, my 2 dogs start raising hellwith him, they do not like him and “Bull” the oldest male will nip at hisankles.

I knowplenty people that say if their dog don’t like someone they don’t either. Thesepeople also ought to go find a nice coconut tree in the shade alone somewhere andtry and smoke a stick of Dynamite. That is how intelligent I think they are aswell.

Now I take amile walk every AM at daylight and my dogs accompany me on it. This AM while onthe return leg of it my dogs had gone up ahead of me for about an eighth of amile. There was a feller a walking towards me and “Bull” for some unknownreason, nipped him on the leg. He picked up a rock and threw it at the dog andrun him. My dogs went on.

When I gotup to him he looked at me and said “Man Yule”? meaning “Your Dog” in theMiskito Language, “Babble, as MiskitoAlan called it”.

Now herethere is a custom that if your dog bites someone, you have to pay the victim ifhe is your dog, a sum to be agreed upon.

He looked tobe in need of a bottle of Joyita, the local rot gut rum, so I said “Api”meaning NO and continued to walk on. After a short spell, I looked back and hehad walked on as well. No money changed hands and Bull got away with that one.

To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Man Yule?

John....

Do you do anything special to to your house to keep termite damage to a minimum?

Any special precautions or treatments or inspections?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Man Yule?

I have had no trouble with them. spyders, scorpions, ticks, ants, Yes, I spray once a year around the bottom of the house with Supermityrina (sp) real good and NO problems after that.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...