Thread: Quality of Schools in Bluefields?

Default Quality of Schools in Bluefields?

Hello All -

Looking to visit Bluefields sometime this month in May-June and I had a question regarding the availability of schools in the area? I have 2 small children (5yrs and 1yrs) that will need to be educated once we make the move down there. Coming from the US, we currently attending public schools. Does anyone have any school age kids in school or know of any expats running schools there? In school there? If so, can you please share what you know as I would like to know what our school options are there.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Quality of Schools in Bluefields?

Tell us more about your life plans. Are your kids expected to grow up in Bluefields and integrate into the local community?

Hello Jonh again -

well, without going on a "time to leave US" rant...we looking to move to Nica for the low cost of living, and to persue small business dreams. Living on the caribbean side of Nica (and most of C.Am for that matter) is more appealing to us. I got a lead on some relatively affordable beachfront property thats within my budget so I am coming down to assess if I can make it work.

With that in mind, im just trying to prep the wife on what to expect. She is the sterotypical "everything outside of US is backwoods and hostile and dangerous" and fears that somewhow kids outside of the US dont know how to read or write...lol. Please dont laugh....

I (coming from a very rural small town in South Carolina) understand all too well those kinds of perceptions and can reconcile that with the reality that the rest of the world isnt like that at all. However, I am curious to know just how far removed is Bluefields from that perception.

Like you said @Jonh in the other thread, i know im going to be hard press to find extracurricular activities/programs equivalent to things i would find here in metro cities in US (like tech labs, and scholarly camps, ivy league prep schools, specialty charter type schools) I get that.

I just want to know if its something like on a scale of rural hut village in Africa learning basic ABC's, or like my old school in SC that had old books and aging building from the 60's bbut we still managed to get into colleges. Again, either way, we'll make it work. i was just curious to see what the options are from a local point of view.

I dont want my children to necessarily never leave Bluefields (or Nica) for that matter. But eventually when they do, i want them to be able to go where ever they want and still be able to "keep up" or get into colleges/universities abroad. And that requires being able to meet a few standardized metrics. I think there is an American standard, and a European standard thats used globally. So, its not really a big deal breaker, i just wanted to get in idea if my wife needs to spend her days home schooling, or can we get a few hours a day reprieve...lol!

Thanks again for your input!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by topdiggy2 View Post
    I dont want my children to necessarily never leave Bluefields (or Nica) for that matter. But eventually when they do, i want them to be able to go where ever they want and still be able to "keep up" or get into colleges/universities abroad. And that requires being able to meet a few standardized metrics. I think there is an American standard, and a European standard thats used globally. So, its not really a big deal breaker, i just wanted to get in idea if my wife needs to spend her days home schooling, or can we get a few hours a day reprieve...lol!
    An UCA (Main university in Nicaragua) degree is not very transportable outside of Central America (corrected)

You will find that many families strive to send their children to US or Spanish (spain) universities.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

There are several private schools and 2 colleges in BLU. The schools are quite affordable, not sure about the colleges but I'd imagine so. I agree the problem would be accreditation. By the time they are old enough to worry about that I suspect a lot of college education will be online, already seeing a lot of colleges go out of business. My guess is there will be a few left in each state but they will be more like resorts by that time. Sounds like a good idea to enroll in some type of home school online program from the USA just to make sure they are meeting the standards / accreditation. I think the plan you have would give good overall education and socialization.

Blog Entries

Bluefields is somewhere in between an African hut village and a backwoods, hostile and dangerous environment. Just kidding. But they don't call it the "Dangerous Atlantic Coast" (DAC) for nuthin'.

If you're looking for one particular harbor,

Sheltered from the wind
    Where the children play on the shore each day
    And all are safe within

There is no such place, anywhere in the world.

Spend 2-3 weeks getting to know the place, then think about future plans.

Thanks guys, i get it! And thats pretty much what i suspected anyway. Keep you posted!