Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COOTEL

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default COOTEL

Yep, a new game in town for internet service..

A new company by the name of CooTel is selling receiver/modems for $50.00 US and various schemes of payments for the time required Gigabites I recon it is called. You can wire it to your computer of use the wifi part and it can connect with up to 5 units... But I bet it will be "Slow-No-Hell"...

I bought one, and am paying $23.00 US a month for unlimited service with a speed of 3 or 4 what evah it is...

I now can see short videos and hear a song on two with little trouble.

The only thing is that perhaps in an evening of using it.... 2-3 hours I have to pull the power plug a time or two on it to let it re-set and then return to what I was a doing....

It does beat any of the CLARO monkey business we have here in "The Port" right now..... Oh and Speaking of the Devil CLARO.... The phone service(Mine) has gotten terrible, breaking up worse that a CB radio beyond the outer limits of it's range.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: COOTEL

You can do a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net/ ....would be interesting. Wonder how a ROKU would work?

My understanding is that Little Island now has its own internet available from Claro from the antenna ON the island, not the antenna on Big Corn.

Also rumored that a new ferry (real ferry, not a panga) is trying to get licensed to service Big Corn and Little Corn but is tied up in political bureaucracy. Politics trumps 8 dead passengers any day, I guess.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

0.78 Mbps....

I have no idea what that means and I damn well am not worried about going over the speed limit here on the DAC...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    0.78 Mbps....

I have no idea what that means and I damn well am not worried about going over the speed limit here on the DAC...

In Tampa we are blessed with fiber optic cable and our download speed is about 20 MBPS .... which is plenty to watch 3 TV's at the same time in High Definition.

"Here is what Netflix has to say about download speeds for watching videos on their website; I would assume this would also apply to watching on a Roku:

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
    1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
    3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for DVD quality
    5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
    7.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for Super HD quality
    12 Megabits per second - Recommended for 3D quality"

So it looks like your speed is enough for a whole world of free TV using something like Roku or a paid channel USTVNOW (20 US channels including ABC,CBS,FOX News, etc.

Amazing changes.

John....is the modem connected over a land line or is it cellular?
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 06-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Do you have Google Fiber? All we have is Low Fiber. As in, the most constipated internet in the world.

Blog Entries

No...had Verizon and then they were taken over by Frontier who tripled my rates, so I switched to Bright House and now they have sold out to Charter. I feel like I am being bent over.

Who is your carrier?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

25mb/s asdl - We get pretty well 25 on the dot. Can stream to 4 TV's in HD with little hiccup, the router has a harder time to keep up. Rates are $56/month unlimited. Went up from $45 when we were 15mb/s

Chilo has got through all of the Korean/Spanish soaps on Hulu and is now into the straight Korean with English subs - Sung bon Cho and No Bo Kim yadda yadda yadda...

0.75 mb/s is very 1999 - The DAC is almost in the next century - They will get there ... eventually...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

We had AT&T for a while but it was slow and unreliable. We've had Comcast (Xfinity) for a couple years and it started fine but has gotten worse and worse. We pay $90 with the modem rental and are supposed to get "up to" 75 mb/s and actually get 25 on a good day, 12 on a normal day. Someone's supposed to come check it next week. I'm tempted to downgrade our service and see if we still get 12-25 mb/s.

Google fiber says they're coming to Hicksville some day. I won't hold my breath.

CooTel, interesting name for a company. $23 a month not bad for unlimited.

I have Comcast and finally cut the cable and went Roku. Comcast played so many money games. I generally ignore their calls but they hit me back to back a couple days ago. Lady says $.04 increase a month to go from 25mb to 75mb plus cable box w/ 40 channels including HBO which I didn't sign up for on Roku. Asked every which way what the scam was, no contract, no fees, etc. . . Guess times are tight with so many cutting the cable, will see how it sorts out. Hit speedtest.com a couple times and still showing 25mb so I can guess where this is heading.

I just got 2.85 down and .54 up with my new Claro cable in Estelí using SpeedTest.net

Important to say too,, that it is 1:45 PM on a Monday. IBW wouldn't be usable now,, Thank God I've moved past them. They were $25 /month more money for lousy service, and a slower connection. Claro is charging us C$1200 for both the digital high resolution (and it is, amazingly) TV and the internet. Cartoons look really sharp.

It's a cable connection. I don't watch much TV, the only English channels are CNN and BBC, but it's nice to hear English.

I could never get enough bandwidth up from IBW to use my VoIP connection to the US . People are actually calling me now,,, now that they can understand me. I could always hear them, but due to sometimes non-existent up speed, my side was badly broken up. So far, hasn't happened with Claro. For $35 /year it's nice to have an easily accessible US phone number.

Now, I have to sort out the internet on the farm. We have it, but have to buy saldo as we need it.
    That can be a pain,, the closest saldo is a mile away in Venecia.

This works for me,, I diligently copy all the new movies (unlimited disk plan through Netflix) when I'm iin US,, so don't really stream much beyond Fox News from time to time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    In Tampa we are blessed with fiber optic cable and our download speed is about 20 MBPS .... which is plenty to watch 3 TV's at the same time in High Definition.

John....is the modem connected over a land line or is it cellular?
    It is a cellular connection...

Blog Entries

They used to say, "Speed kills!" Today, it's clearly: "Speed sells!" (Wise sayings ain't so wise after a while. Avarice was one of the seven deadly sins. Today greed is what drives the engine of capitalism. And so it goes. Progress.)

One of my forebearers must have been a Luddite. For HDTV I used indoor antennae; get more than 40 channels crystal clear, all networks, including Spanish, Russian, Japanese, German - most all of it pure crapola. (I'm 15 mile from Philly - as a crow would find if it were stupid enough to fly into the city.) I pay $35/mo for slow internet (2.35 Mb/s down, 0.25 up) with the advantage that when I leave for my 6-month tour of Nicaragua, I pay nothing, and reuse the same router & service when I return Stateside. (I stream Netflix fine. Currently binging on 'Peaky Blinders'.) In Leon I struck up a deal with my neighbor who shares his wi-fi signal with me for letting him splice into my cable TV ($13/mo). For Skype calls (no charge for business numbers) or whenever I feel the need-for-speed I visit a cyber and buy a cappuccino with drinkable art on the surface. It's good to get out of the house now & again.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    CooTel, interesting name for a company. $23 a month not bad for unlimited.

I have Comcast and finally cut the cable and went Roku. Comcast played so many money games. I generally ignore their calls but they hit me back to back a couple days ago. Lady says $.04 increase a month to go from 25mb to 75mb plus cable box w/ 40 channels including HBO which I didn't sign up for on Roku. Asked every which way what the scam was, no contract, no fees, etc. . . Guess times are tight with so many cutting the cable, will see how it sorts out. Hit speedtest.com a couple times and still showing 25mb so I can guess where this is heading.
    LOL, they told us the speed increase was no extra charge. They suck you in, get you hooked, then slow it down AND charge you.

Xfinity Internet
    Performance Internet
    $66.95
    Speed INCREASE
    $13.00
    Modem Rental
    $10.00

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    One of my forebearers must have been a Luddite. For HDTV I used indoor antennae; get more than 40 channels crystal clear, all networks, including Spanish, Russian, Japanese, German - most all of it pure crapola. (I'm 15 mile from Philly - as a crow would find if it were stupid enough to fly into the city.) I pay $35/mo for slow internet (2.35 Mb/s down, 0.25 up) with the advantage that when I leave for my 6-month tour of Nicaragua, .

OTA (Over the air) is by far the best - There is no compression on OTA which is what you get with most cable and satellite providers. We only get 7 OTA stations here now - Have a rotor to put up on the 56' self support, but have yet to muster the gumption to climb it yet. Right now it is sitting up 35' for the 7 channels.

There is no Univision or Telemundo broadcaster in Buffalo and the one in Cleveland is much too far away..

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    LOL, they told us the speed increase was no extra charge. They suck you in, get you hooked, then slow it down AND charge you.

Xfinity Internet
    Performance Internet
    $66.95
    Speed INCREASE
    $13.00
    Modem Rental
    $10.00
    I bought a router / wifi combo when I cut the cable. Was tired of having 2 junk boxes and a bunch of cables, not to mention paying the rental fee is BS. Whenever had to power boot ended up pulling it all apart for 30 seconds. Nice box now, has regular wifi and some new wifi with the AC protocol, I don't know much other than its fast. Decent distance / connectivity also, can get all my yard work done while listening to Spotify / Pandora.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    I bought a router / wifi combo when I cut the cable. Was tired of having 2 junk boxes and a bunch of cables, not to mention paying the rental fee is BS.
    Yep -You only really need the box from the wall (Cable, Fibre, or ASDL) to your router.

But there is a caveat - Once you get past 2 HD streams most cheap (e.g. below $50) routers turn to jelly needing reboots every one or 2 days - Did that for about 3 weeks - Eventually bought a $150 router/wifi and it has been rock solid - Maybe needing a reboot every month or so. And most of that is for the WiFi - Cabled connected devices have no issue.

Blog Entries

Seems like a major design flaw, that your product is expected to fail every month and be re-started. You'd think they'd put that in the instruction manual.

Don't tell Microsoft.

Blog Entries

Seems like a major design flaw, that your product is expected to fail every month and be re-started. You'd think they'd put that in the instruction manual.

Don't tell Microsoft.
    It does not fail fail - Just becomes sluggish or one wireless (or a bunch of wireless) things do not want to connect. Wired things just keep ticking along.

Wife's Ruku is one of those wireless things (Because it is unified to the TV remote which makes my life easy, since it makes her life easy)

I think Chrome cast is a big offender as the streaming of Jays games to the TV seems to make the need to reboot more prevalent..

Blog Entries

Why is the reboot needed? Does the router get gummed up with all our bits and bytes of movies, music, and TRN, like plaque in an artery?

Blog Entries

Why is the reboot needed? Does the router get gummed up with all our bits and bytes of movies, music, and TRN, like plaque in an artery?

I meant to ask Bill Gates that very same question once.. :-)

In our case I think it is volume. I have fifty freeking seven IP devices listed (Movie boxes, apple TV boxes, PS4, PS3, 5 Phones, 4 freeking tablets, storage drives, computers and IP cameras for security)

Probably the hamster on the wheel, in the box, just gets overloaded...

Blog Entries

We have three computers, three phones, and I think that's all. Rebooting doesn't actually seem to do much, it might speed up for a few minutes at best. A technician is coming today to "do something" about it.

Blog Entries

The guy came yesterday and swapped out our modem for a New and Improved Binford Turbosupercharged Hemi V-12 model. With my phone right next to the router/modem I got 90 mb/s. A hundred feet away in my office I got 4. So I moved the Netgear extender out to my office and I get about 20, and the Binford keeps it about 20 all the way to the opposite end of the house, about 50' away and with intervening plaster walls and the air conditioner unit to kill the signal.

Nice, but if it's still that fast in three months, I'll be impressed.

Bottom line, we're saying goodbye to DirecTV and will be using a digital antenna and Roku.

Blog Entries

The guy came yesterday and swapped out our modem for a New and Improved Binford Turbosupercharged Hemi V-12 model. With my phone right next to the router/modem I got 90 mb/s. A hundred feet away in my office I got 4. So I moved the Netgear extender out to my office and I get about 20, and the Binford keeps it about 20 all the way to the opposite end of the house, about 50' away and with intervening plaster walls and the air conditioner unit to kill the signal.

Nice, but if it's still that fast in three months, I'll be impressed.

Bottom line, we're saying goodbye to DirectTV and will be using a digital antenna and Roku.
    I have the exact same set up.

Check out USTV Now for a great channel selection including Fox News Channel. Just sign up and tell them you are in Nicaragua (not the US).

What carrier are you using? Fiber?

Blog Entries

It's Comcast Xfinity.

Blog Entries

Wired RoKu if you can - Wireless just goes loopy at times and is hair pulling to fix..

Typically you have to delete the old connection and just make a new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast