Thread: Barak, Hllary R and William Jefferson

Default Barak, Hllary R and William Jefferson

I've been looking for someone who can advise me on climate change and environmental issues on the farm. Plus, I've wanted a mule for quite some time. I plan on buying a Sandino hat, and revisiting a simpler time in Nicaragua. How to kill both birds with one stone?

And, waking up to a braying ass in the morning would make me feel more at home (in the US). Hillary is NOT going to be visiting NIcaragua anytime soon.

So, I put out feelers and wound up with Barak. He prefers to be called Barrie, and so far I'm a lot happier with him than I ever was with BHO.

My plan is to breed Barrie to either Muneca or Luna, or both. When I first met Barrie, he was trying to mount his mother, who he had just suckled. Might be some Arkansas Cllinton in him already.

The result will be either Hillary R if it's an embra, or William Jefferson, if it's macho. William Jefferson is a fine name for a mule. Both horses are big, and I was assured by the seller (who was as drunk as a skunk and clearly needing more money to continue his state of inebriation) --that Barrie will produce a tall, sturdy mule.

We bought Barrie late one afternoon. I stopped by the cigar box factory and got enough wood shavings to cover the bottom of my truck to about inches. The plan was to keep him overnight in Estelí, and take him to the farm.

Barrie missed his mother badly through the night, and nobody slept. I finally got even with the guy across the street whose car alarm used to keep the baby up. He covered the front yard with his weight in burro poop.

After a relatively uneventful trip to the farm, Barrie discovered the various "walk throughs" we have, gaps in the fence small enough for us to turn sideways and go through, but too small for the cows and horses. He then slipped into the garden overnight, plundered all the sweet corn, but luckily left the melons alone. When I caught him eyeing my apples, it was time to get serious about his confinement. We had him with the horses initially, they come up to the house, respect the single strand of barb wire. So, we stuck him with the cows. They bully him badly, but he's a lot faster than they are. We don't see to much of him, the cows seem to prefer the far reaches of the farm. We do hear him from time to time

Jayro says I should wait a few more months before embarking on my ambitious breeding program. The seller told us that the burro was 18 months old, but a lady who lived where he was being confined, claimed 14 months.

Pics of the road building progress. When they finish I will only have 6KM unpaved,, and they generally maintain that piece pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: Barak, Hllary R and William Jefferson

That last picture looks like the moon. Except with atmosphere. And a Lunar Bulldozer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    That last picture looks like the moon. Except with atmosphere. And a Lunar Bulldozer.

That is the site where they put in a rock crushing operation to net gravel and balastre. They do have a lot of nice equipment.

One more pic I missed, Barrie and me bonding on our way to the farm. I rode all the way up there with him to . . . . keep him company ??

He wouldn't let me approach him for two days afterwards, but seems to have finally let bygones be bygones. Or, perhaps it's because I have concentrado and corn in my hand. Probably the first of either he'd ever seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate to knock the wind outta yer Sails...

But Mules cannot reproduce, they can try all they want, but it don't work.....

I would love to have a mule myself and a few implements for it for gardening....

BTW old saying here on the DAC.... A good mule is worth 100 BLM's..

Last I saw and heard when I enquired about it they were worth about 2-3 times what good horse flesh was bringing at the time.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

KWP is still hurt because the sheep won't speak to him any more either. All she said was, "I'll text you."

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i named a dog obama because he was black and white and had floppy ears but the relatives had a tizzy, saying I was uncouth or something, and then the grandkid renamed him Spiderman. whatta crappy name for a dog, especially one that looks like obamaand is a DS..

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    whatta crappy name for a dog, especially one that looks like obama and is a DS..
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

DS = dipstick? Only not "stick"?

Wish you all the luck with your Ponderosa. Love the photo storytelling something Johnny Wayne oughta do more of. I'm a little worried however that all might end up in the hands of a local Sandi leader. I think I would set up explosives like Gene Hackman did in enemy of the state just in case things didn't go my way. Anyhow I wish you the best cause it's obvious your not lazy

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes
    Funny you should mention, we had another dog named Dipstick, kinda "dipstee" en espanol.
    Booger is the elegant sounding one, it comes out buggheerrr" in spanish.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I am glad someone clarified it... I was embarrassed to ask but curious to know... Dipsh*t works well for a name for a heck of a lot of things......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I hate to knock the wind outta yer Sails...

But Mules cannot reproduce, they can try all they want, but it don't work.....

I would love to have a mule myself and a few implements for it for gardening....

BTW old saying here on the DAC.... A good mule is worth 100 BLM's..

Last I saw and heard when I enquired about it they were worth about 2-3 times what good horse flesh was bringing at the time.

Well, the plan was to mate the burro with one or both of my mares. That should result in a Jack or a Jenny. I think.

Jayro insists that Barry is too young, at fourteen or eighteen months, depending on who I asked. I've explained that they start much younger in the 'hood, but Jayro lacks the So Chicago reference. Barry certainly has the necessary extension for the job.

Luna (younger of the two) was in heat last week. It was charming to watch the horse with no name kiss up to her. She would accept "service", or at least a mount, but unfortunately (unlike Barry) no name lacks a couple of the necessary parts to make it all happen.

Now, they are not speaking to each other, in horse fashion.
    I wish my sex life was that simple and unencumbered.

Consistent internet on the farm now,,, still fighting to get the upload speed to a point where I can VoIP. I've had download speeds as fast as 4 Mbps with my new Claro modem, but upload is still below 1 Mbps.

I brought down a 30 meter amplified USB cable this trip, allows me to stick the modem here and there. I'll post some pictures when I get it figured out. Unlike the Esteli house with the cable internet, Claro is metered use. I can get a decent post pago deal with a contract, and will probably go that way eventually, but the meter still runs.