Thread: John gave me sh*t...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default John gave me sh*t...

Okay, okay, I'm back... what's new in everybody's world? For me, still cooking like a craaazy woman! Started giving culinary shopping tours to Managua, and expanding my menu to include vegan options, as we seem to be inundated with those kind of folks lately. Celebrated my 1st year of freedom from the old man a few days ago, feels good to be free! Talk to me, y'all...

Oh, and any newbies coming in to Granada that need a tour around the city or in Mga, just holler at me, always looking for a way to scrape up a few cordobas...
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Default Re: John gave me sh*t...

Actually, I thought about you the other day. No ....not my usual fantasy...lol. I bought a jar of spices on line (saffron) and then realized that it was coming from Portugal with free shipping!

Anyway, I thought that a good business for you with your culinary background and business acumen would be to advertise online and offer Nicaraguan and Latin spices .....all organic and herbal and all that crap of course. The secret is to find a way to ship to the US in bulk (read cheap) and then distribute from Miami to wherever else. Maria is always bitching that she cannot find Nica guava jelly here in Tampa and I am sure she would buy it online if it was her favorite brand (Callejas). Build a database of Nica's here in the US and email Nica food specials to them or take special orders ....if you build it they will come.

Anyway ..... nice to see you post again and I hope you are doing well.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Yes,, welcome back.

I don't know about vegans though,

I'm reminded of the line from Peggy Sue Got Married:

Peggy Sue: A lot of things are confusing right now, Charlie is just one of them.
    Evelyn Kelcher: Is Charlie pressuring you into doing things you don't think you should be doing?
    Peggy Sue: What do you mean?
    Evelyn Kelcher: Peggy, you know what a penis is? Stay away from it!

That's how I feel about Vegans

Blog Entries

Hola amigas y amigos

Yeah it has been awhile. I see LCT is still alive, that is good. And Cat, you are single? WTF not my business.

My life is still crazy, although I think I hit the proverbial rock bottom and I am on my way back to get a gulp of air. At least my every decision is not based on sex. Getting older has it's advantages.

Tom I thought you were closer to Miami, did you move? I have been entertaining a project in your neck of the woods. Nothing specific, am just being lured there by a female. I have sent my resume to every boat builder and repair yard from Key West to Daytona to SW Louisiana. Not that I want to be there, that is just close enough.

I am not drinking really, just special occasions. Now that weed is legal for fun in Washington state I am not smoking it either. Funny how people change.

I see JW post on facebook all the time. Sometimes I like his stuff at the risk of losing a client that has liberal leanings.

John is there with his lovely family, babies growing up and making me even feel older. I am going to be 56 in November and still have a lot of energy and vigor. I actually still look pretty young too. I have three women on my mind... one that wants to own me, one that wants to stone me and one is just a friend of mine.

I heard rumors, but not for certain, that a certain site dedicated to Nicaragua that was run by a guy that gave me vibes of a kiddy fiddler shut down. Not sure where I heard it as I have been off the charts for awhile. My thoughts have been Oregon as it is still cheap to live there and you want lose power that much or get chopped up with a machete for the ten bucks in your wallet.

Thinking about starting a thread, something serious this time.
    Survivor

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Has this thread turned into a Southern Baptist Standup Testimonial or a Spivey's Corner Hog Callin' Contest?

I guess I am a bit to the right of Attila the Hun at times, I did apply for a Federal job with the almost new President as a "Hangman" because of my knot tying skills I learned in the Boy Scouts. (some things in life one nevah forgets right?)

Hangman, hangman, won't ya wait a little while... I think I see my brother coming, riding many a mile....

Mel, I am so glad you are fairing right well and the rest on here... I don't know if it is writers block I have or just need a good old fashioned "Purge" of the gut parasites, but something is saping my strength and it is not from smoking weed again.. Every time I take a puff of that mess.. I remember why I quit...

Perhaps I need to go back to drinking, smoking cigs and chasing wild crazy women again...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Hey, I didn't mean to offend any of the Vegans on the TRN site . .. .

There used to be a boatload of them on NicaLiving,, had to be careful not to say ANYTHING negative about Bok Choi

Ahh, who cares who gets offended, life's too short to worry 'bout much of anything.

Thanks for the biz idea, LCT (and the fantasy... :P ) but the thought of dealing with Customs and/or shipping stuff outa' this country makes me wanna run screaming for the hills! I'm gonna try to focus more on these tours I started doing. It's money to pay rent with no original outlay, and since I have no money, that kinda works better for me. I became a Nica citizen a few years back, so it's legal for me to work here (something the gov has been cracking down on lately).

KW, my food preference is anything fried, but I've actually had a little fun coming up with special foods for that group of special people, the challenge of making something without meat or dairy or whatever, yet still making it amazing. Nice change. It's good to push boundaries sometimes. The vegan ice cream last week sold out quick, a coconut-based chocolate fudge with toasted hazelnuts. Looks like I should have no problems keeping customers happy with homemade ice cream. Toughest part of this job lately is NOT eating the profits. Well, that and staying away from Margarita's bar, shooting pool and drinking Toñas!! Seems to be my weakness.

For an update on the homefront, gotta say, I miss country living. Sure, Granada is great and all, but I miss the quiet simple life, my plants, and my dogs... so I've done some things in the last year (can't believe it has already been a year!!!) to fix that. Got me a dog, his name is Grits. He's a handful, but he makes me smile. And I've started gardening again. Not much room to work with, living in a studio apt, but life's all about improvising. For now, only oregano, rosemary, and turnip greens growing. Got some cherry tomato seedlings up in the last 2 days, so it's getting better!

Amazing changes in country, really, I get a sad kind of feeling watching Nica grow up. This place is so different from what it used to be. H*ll, even the rambling market in Jinotepe is gone, replaced by the huge, modern one further south, all organized and clean... seems weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you need seeds, let me know. Shelley bought some $300 worth down the last trip.
    Flowers too.

No bok choi, unfortunately. But, you could contact Fyl in Guatemala for seeds,,, it's a mainstay of his diet.

We were just in Granada last week,, or week before,, Shelley, Krisnia & I. Would have loved to see you. Didn't have the baby,, can't remember what we did with him
    Lots of changes for us too, Mostly centered around a 6 month old baby whose planned caregiver didn't work out.

Some free advice: Don't go there.

Shelley grows all the spice plants, they all grow like weeds here. Everything grows like weeks here. Have you seen this year's corn?

We have a Sh*tload of tomatoes coming up too,, all scraggly volunteers, still too young to taste, but look good.
    We still had quite a few tomatoes going when we got here, but plants eventually died back.
    I was going to rototill the vegetable garden last week, but surprise, surprise, the drive belt on my rototiller was broken!
    Put away wet, and no one said a word. Just means that Manual Morales turns it over by hand tomorrow.

Speaking of weeds: Cherry tomatoes. You could probably sell them to the Gringos in Granada, prolific in small places, seem to set blossoms in temps too high for other varieties.
    Carrots grow like weeds here too, and they are good.

Anyway,, I speak for all when I say,,, "Nice to hear from you again".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trying some new things here, KWP, it's all a learning experience. I've grown schtuff in Managua, Jinotepe, Ochomogo, and Santa Cruz... now it's time to learn what will grow in my conditions here in Granada. Ready to string the New Zealand spinach up against the shaded wall side of the long entrance, have lots of turnip green plants growing in the bamboo containers I picked up in Catarina, but it's time to replant them in the recycled gutters I got from a friend today... all just seeing what will work...
    Let me know a day before you are coming to town, and I will make some time in my cooking schedule to get together, for sure!