Thread: Finally Put My Dongle Down

Blog Entries

Default Finally Put My Dongle Down

After years of Claro Hell, I finally gave up. No more 3G Dongle, could not handle it anymore. Service had got down to near non existent except in Bluefields. The Cow Jumped Over the Moon so their is no internet today story finally got old.

Broke down and got a SmartPhone and use a computer where I can find wifi. Not really any cheaper but it works. Still experimenting and about to try out Moviestar for a bit.

Even Wifi here is sketchy, but far better than the Dongle.

Was thinking about the FB idea last night and maybe it is the way to go, I know posting on this site (and most others, except FB) was near, if not impossible with a really slow connection.

Really was a special sort of misery, seeing you have email and not being able to open it. Dial-Up would have been a Treat....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: Finally Put My Dongle Down

One of the best purchases I have made in years is a chromebook, in my case a samsung 11 inch. Fast, cheap, small in size, like a tablet with a keyboard. 10 hour plus battery life. The perfect email, browse, travel, watch tv machine. So good the next trip I bought one for my wife, who is right now watching cooking videos on it on the kitchen table. We have ok usually good ibw service at the house, but if I have to go back to going to town to access the net this would be the ticket, either in a ciber or a wifi zone. Much better than the creaky machines at a ciber or my ten-ton laptop.
    note--chromebooks will not do windows programs or hook up to printer easily, etc. They are for the net. An sd card increases memory.

Oh yeah, we recently got out of claro hell. for the tv. They refused to accept our written cancellation/30 day notice unless we paid them $120 for the antennae and box. I'll spare you the war stories, except the funny incident when the grand claro inspector said the dish was so rusted it wasn't legal for claro to have it because it could fall on somebody!.
    Only 4 or 5 trips to town, mostly to some consumer protection agency, and we finally got a letter from claro saying we were done. They never did come by to get their antennae of box they were so worried about. Claro tv had better coverage for English speakers but in our house tv is for cartoons, telenoveles, News from the commandante and the latest murders and wrecks in mga, and an occasion soccer game, all of which work well on Telecable

Claro free at last. Our only contact is I buy 300 cords of time online for our claro cel, triplica with 5 week life. so far they haven't screwed that up.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 07-27-2016 at 09:26 AM.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    One of the best purchases I have made in years is a chromebook, in my case a samsung 11 inch. Fast, cheap, small in size, like a tablet with a keyboard. 10 hour plus battery life. The perfect email, browse, travel, watch tv machine. So good the next trip I bought one for my wife, who is right now watching cooking videos on it on the kitchen table.

After 5 years of trying to keep my Mother's computer (Windows XP) running I bought her a Chrome book.. Best purchase ever. It always works and she can read her english and dutch news papers, watch the dutch news and lurk my and my sisters Facebook pace with all the children as well..

Nothing keeps your facebook civil than the knowledge that Mom will read your posts..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

With apologies to Chuck Berry, I dongled in the kitchen, I dongled in the hall, I couldn't send you email so I wrote it on your wall...

I got a bluetooth keyboard for my iPhone, which makes typing a breeze. If the small phone screen doesn't hurt your eyes, you might look into that. Mine is by Logitech, $32.

Blog Entries

Whoa, memory flash! For the sweet-tooth crowd I drove a Good Humor ice cream truck one summer decades ago. It had a dry ice freezer in back and a cord to the bells on the roof that I'd pull to ensure Pavlovian customers. Chuck Berry's "My ding-a-ling" was the top hit on the radio.

'Digital' had a different common meaning then.
    "Beware the jubjub bird and shun the frumous bandersnatch!"

Blog Entries

I didn't want to learn a new and different OS, so I took KWP's advice and got a Nextbook and a Bluetooth mouse.

Then got a free upgrade to Windows 10.

It is great and all I need when traveling as all I want is emails and a browser.

Could not be happier with it.

http://www.nextbookusa.com/
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

The summer we moved to Hicksville, "My Dingaling" was a raging hit on the radio. I was 8 and thought it was hilarious.

Blog Entries

Claro, never ceases to amaze me.

Went over to Bluefields for a few days, come back and the Hotel Owner tells me Claro finally came and fixed the Internet. Immediately pull out my phone to check it, they renamed her router, and changed the Password, and did not give her the new Password.

We call Claro, they tell her a tech will contact her within 48 hours. We call back so I can talk to them, they know the # and hang up. Call from various phones, once they get the service order # they put us on hold, and then hang up, over and over, goes on for hours.

So I say let us check, maybe they did not mess with anything and the password should be the # on the router, thank Allah it was.

Begged her that if by some off chance a Tech does show up, DO NOT LET THEM IN THE BUILDING.......
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Plot thickens. Woman went to Bluefields, left me the Keys. I am upstairs getting right and hear someone banging on the Gate, it is a Claro Tech. Oh Shit.

We go through a dz things and he tells me the problem is my computer, classic Claro. I was about to punch him in the face but he was holding my nearly new laptop, that I prize.

He got over it being my problem when I started speaking about Claro in 3 languages and put a lock on the front gate, this clown is going nowhere until internet and phone gets fixed.

He is trying to call MGA on the phone now and not having great luck, hope he packed a lunch....
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Kevin....Just to "ClarofY" the situation....

I thought that you had things working (internet etc.). What was he "fixing"?

My first assumption was that you locked him out but upon further examination, I guess you locked him in?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Guy starts screaming something about calling the Police, pulled out my phone, dialed, told him to ask for Gulliermo, the Jefe. He knows my # good, tell him to stop on by. See how this works out for Claro Tech, I am not giving him good odds.... This place is a Cement and Iron fortress, and I got the only set of keys in my pocket to go in or out.

Back on my Porch, resuming what I had started earlier. Tech is downstairs either fixing Internet or trying to chew though rebar, same either way to me. I am pirating a neighbor's router... Could care less......
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

To ClaroFy,

Everything was so so, not great, not bad. Claro came to fix things, no so bueno...

About to go check on this clown, keep figuring he will come up to see me, think by now he has figured out the Police are not coming and neighbors on each side have turned up the music.... He knows where I am. Need to go make sure he is not tearing the house down..
    Ernie K Doe

God Bless you Sir. You are doing what many of us could only dream about. If you need any support count me in, I will even bake a cake with a file in it. You are a hero.

Blog Entries

Finally let the Guy Go, Police did pass by and he decided to shout them, not a favorable outcome for him, was still locked up, but then had the Police pissed at him.

Told him to please find some Help for me, and that he should not come back here. The Police was shaking his head all the while.

We All Lived to see Manana, and that is something....
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh Lordy... Getting the police call on ya...

Do you expect your friends and family in the States to believe this Sheit?

We down here know it's so.... You can't make this sheit up.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

makes you feel at Home when the Police smile cause you got the Claro Guy caged.
    Ernie K Doe