Thread: Craft Beer Festival

Blog Entries

Default Craft Beer Festival

SJDS hosted a Craft Beer Festival this weekend. I knew there were a few Breweries but turns out 6 Craft Brewers in Nicaragua. Saw some pics on the FB, looked nice.

In other Beer News...

Tona Light has made it to the Coast, I got a can at the Grocery Store the other day and forgot about it. Finally drank it, tasted like Beer to me. Tona in the Can always taste off to me, will try it in a bottle one of these days. There is some new Beer here, Royal Dutch I think, got a can of it a while back at the same grocery store, got home opened it took a drink and poured it out (keep in mind it's Beer), not sure if it was skunked or that is how it tastes, either way, no Royal Dutch in my future.

Did not see any of the dark Victoria this past year that usually comes out around Xmas. I always enjoy that.

I know a place in Bluefields that gets stuff from the States, they have a 12 pack of Miller High Life, keep thinking to buy it (not much more than Tona), but I do not want to drink 12 Millers. On the Island we get Old Milwaukee from over on San Andres now and then. A neighbor has a standing order for the Old Milwaukee and any time he gets he sends over a few cans, mostly a novelty for us.

Stella Artois is around on the Coast now, we really are getting fancy over here.

Not sure about case price on Tona now but know that it went up some in recent months, several places have gone up 2 cords to 27 cords a Beer.

That is all you need to know and more about Beer on this side.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Craft Beer Festival

I can take 6 empty Tona re-tornable bottles up to the beer joint and across the main dirt road leading out of town to the beer joint that is across the dirt road leading out of town in front of the only gas station in town that sells beer.. (Are ya with me here people?)

Well I can get the 6 TONAS for 140 cordobas here on my side of the DAC.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Think it may have been this weekend, was supposed to be a Tona Fest in MGA, was advertised on the back of the bottles last month or so.

They were supposed to have a "Limited Edition" Tona Red Lager (guessing kegged).

There is a little Hotel with a "Beer Joint" near the wharf I frequent in Bluefields. Owner lived in the States for 20 years, we have come to be friendly as I pass there at least a few times a week, has decent bathrooms which is convienent before or after a Panga ride. Anyway to the point, yesterday when I passed she had a promotion going (as she regulary does) Victoria Frost 18c, Tona 20c, and she always has Damn Cold Beer. Keep meaning to ask her about the pricing as that is about what a case goes for from the Distributor. Guessing they must be selling her Beer close to expiration to burn it out (same thing as in the States, the Distributors will trade out Beer well before the expiration date and move it to someplace that moves lots of product).

Tona at most places in Bluefields runs 25-35c a bottle. Think it was on FB I saw that Tona is 50c+ most places in SJDS, There would be a Riot in BF if prices were that high.

The common Urban Legend you always hear is that BF consumes more Beer per Capita than anyplace in Nicaragua, and if you saw the weekly Beer Barge being unloaded you would not doubt it, really is a sight to see.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

I've noticed Toña prices steadily going up in the restaurants since I've been here. It seems like when I got here 6 or 7 years ago I would buy Toña pretty consistently for 20c
    Don't drink enough for it to be a factor,, but yes, aggravating when someone charges 50c for a beer.

Can keep a bit of FDC around now that I'm on the outs with Ariana's father (this is a story I would like to tell but way off-thread).
    Some other time

I like a dollop of fdc in my coffee when I wake up feeling especially bravo.

that may have just as much to do with the cordoba going down, than the beer prices going up.
    5 years ago i was barely getting 24 cords for a dollar. Now im getting over 29. All the places, like mcdonalds, and fritangas, have been rising accordingly. Usually just 5 cords at a time. A daily meal at mcdonalds used to be 75 cords, now its 105 cords 4 years later.

Blog Entries

The "Festival Cervecero Tona" is November 17th. Saw they will also have a Tona Dark available. Looks like they will have lots of Music and such. Takes place at Rotunda Jean Paul Genie.
    Ernie K Doe