Thread: La Colonia in Jinotepe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default La Colonia in Jinotepe

It was an expresso to Jinotepe today to make deliveries, pick up egg roll wrappers, and to find the pieces of my Halloween costume this year, a gypsy!
    Looks like the new La Colonia is just about ready to open!
    Can't get over how much and how fast things are moving in Nicaragua lately!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Default Re: La Colonia in Jinotepe

You know we're gonna need a picture of you in that dress, right?

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    It was an expresso to Jinotepe today to make deliveries, pick up egg roll wrappers, and to find the pieces of my Halloween costume this year, a gypsy!
    Looks like the new La Colonia is just about ready to open!
    Can't get over how much and how fast things are moving in Nicaragua lately!!!
    Yeah, there are pictures on the tube of a plan for a 3 level interchange in mga.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Walmart bought La Coloina a couple 3 years back I am told. Looks they want to get the coinage from the higher income bracket outside of the bigger markets now...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Well, por supuesto, Jonh!

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Walmart bought La Coloina a couple 3 years back I am told. Looks they want to get the coinage from the higher income bracket outside of the bigger markets now...

Say it ain't so . . . La Colonia owned by WalMart?

Pali stores are such shitholes,, WalMart should be ashamed. Nicaraguans put up with anything.
    The Pali store in Condega would be shut down by various regulatory entities in the US,,, what a dump!

You Estelianos are so lucky. Life in the boonies sucks sometimes.

I've always meant to do some price comparison between the La Colonia and the Maxi-Pali in Esteli but have never got around to it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    . . La Colonia owned by WalMart?
    There's no indication that's the case in Leon, jodido. None of their 'Equate' brand in La Colonia, tho it's regular stock in La Union. And Colonia is loaded with curious stuff from Spain that La Union doesn't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Pali stores are such shitholes,,
    To keep prices low, you gotta keep overhead low. Locals manage 'em and they don't pay their help much to clean up. Esp. in places where the local gov doesn't seemed so concerned about cleaning the streets.
    "Lord, let me live until I die." - Will Rogers

In other WalMart News:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/1...t-in-utah.html

That's what the "Less Than Ten Items Line" is for, folks.

Walmart Mexico owns and or owns and operates La Union and the Pali's. La Colonia is still independent, thank God.

Walmart Mexico owns and or owns and operates La Union and the Pali's. La Colonia is still independent, thank God.

Best news all day. La Colonia has a touch of class that is hard to find in Nicaragua.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    OK.. Musta got them reversed in my mind..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Interesting Nica Familia owns La Colonia.

10 years ago the Plaza Espana store was the go to place for the hard to find. Still hit it every MGA trip, it opens an hour before Pricemart , a short walk away. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and some fast food coffee and a breakfast sandwich in between.....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Interesting Nica Familia owns La Colonia.

10 years ago the Plaza Espana store was the go to place for the hard to find. Still hit it every MGA trip, it opens an hour before Pricemart , a short walk away. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and some fast food coffee and a breakfast sandwich in between.....

La Colonia is a joy to shop in. Wide aisles, well-lit, AC that actually works, friendly staff, bag your groceries, nice wine selection. I could go on.

Unfortunately, I do more of my shopping in a dirty Pali in Condega because of the distance from the farm to Estelí. NO lights (skylights, and if it's overcast you need a flashlight). Aisles wide enough for one person, but generally blocked with stacks of boxed product that hasn't been shelved. Plastic bags cost 1 cordoba, the biggest profit center in the store,, good selection of guaro, and a few bottles of low end wine that have been sitting in the heat for years.. I could go on.

Pisses me off,, if you haven't noticed already.

Watch the expiration dates on milk, etc. We try not to buy in Pali norte in Esteli, their refris are not kept cool enough so things spoil faster than the expiration date. Maxi pali in Esteli has a similar problem with their freezers, stuff is often not frozen. Cheap place for most midrange items and the closest thing to one-stop shopping, but a trip to La Colonia rounds out the shopping list for a lot of top end stuff, including veggies.

Some times Walmart works its special magic. We bought a set of patio chairs that were comfortable, a rarity in Nic., the land of hard chairs. They worked for about 3 months until one by one they failed instantly. My back still hurts from one crash. What looked like anodized aluminum was actually a poor grade of thin iron covered with paint and welded sloppily by hand. Another time I bought a bottle fo FDC 12 years. A short time later I was chatting with a gal at the duty free at the airport and mentioned they had the same prices as Maxipali. She edumacated me that the packages were the same, but the rum no. Walmart's is 35% alcohol, duty free is 40%. You have to look at the small print on the bottle to see the Walmart magic.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Since the thread has now moved to milk (I love this site,,, Melissa is probably shaking her head),,
    I finally figured out why cows are only milked once in the campo.

In the US cows are milked twice, and some dairies actually milk three times, depending on the cost of their labor input.
    Milk output per cow here is also about a quarter of what a commercial dairy gets in the US.

But here in the campo, if you are selling your milk, and I don't know anyone who milks a cow for their family, you can only sell the milk early in the morning.
    No one wants to buy milk in the afternoon. Very few have refrigerators here. Power can go out for a day or more, frequently goes out for a few hours.

So, you have no way to keep your milk if you milk in the afternoon, unless you mix the afternoon milk with the next morning's milk.
    If the milk doesn't show up warm, the buyer knows that it's not fresh.

My vendor milks early in the morning, starts about 6AM. We have to get there before 7AM, or he's already on his way to La Laguna to sell his milk.
    He sells out every day. That's his business model! I brought down a milking machine and the associated stuff, funnel, filters, cans and pails in beautiful stainless steel, but they sit in the bodega.
    I can't possibly put up with the aggravation, and pay the labor, manage the cleanliness (we do filter our milk), for the ten cords/liter I pay!!

We grow our own beans, and I do sell a few, but the beans cost me as much in labor as I realize when I sell them, depending on the price of beans, of course.
    It's no free lunch here, let me tell you,, but you do live well. I eat a lot of this delicious squash we grow, and I give most of it away.
    I could sell it, but I'd have to haul it to Condega.

We get five liters of milk 3 times a week,, in an old fashioned milk can I brought down. Most of it goes to the baby, but I still consume quite a bit.
    If it goes bad, and it does surprisingly fast even though we immediately refrigerate it, Javier's pig gets it.
    He loves sour milk.

Again, surprisingly, most babies in the campo don't get fresh milk once they are weaned.
    If they are lucky, and the family has enough money, they get some "Nido", dry milk reconstituted.
    If not, they move on to what the rest of the family drinks: gaseosa, often "Rojita"

Blog Entries

And now you know why obesity and diabetes are epidemic in Nicaragua.

La colonia is great only for their 2x1 sales.
    They always have a table of 2x1 stuff in each store, and i pretty much exclusively shop at that. I dont ever care what i eat for dinner, so usually my meals are planned out by whats 2x1 at the la colonia. Last week i got tahini sauce, mac and cheese, mountain dew, chickpeas, a bunch of granola bars, and some betty crocker mashed potatoes. The week before it was frozen peas, frozen corn, artichoke hearts, walnuts, and boxes of raisin bran.

their fruit/veggie prices are ridiculous though. 3 times the price of the markets. and not much better. Ive had poor luck in the past buying avocados and pineapples there so i stopped.

Blog Entries

If you could see what we pay for crap veggies over here.. Pina and Pear (Avocado) are always a craps shoot unless you really know them. Have the last 4 Pear from my trees this year waiting to be ate, got a decent bit of Pina this year too, you get one well and ripe, peel it with a machete and eat it like a Popsicle, Bushman Style.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

"You know we're gonna need a picture of you in that dress, right?"

Toooo d*mn busy to even think about posting a whole thingy about the Halloween party, which was a huge success with the help of lots of folks... but here's a pic, John. :P
    Attached Images Attached Images