Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road to Bluefields?

Blog Entries

Default Road to Bluefields?

Just heard that the new road is finished from Rama to Bluefields.

Anyone know for sure?

Kevin?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Road to Bluefields?

Not "finished " but usable, getting better everyday they say. Is not from Rama, is from Nuevo Guinia I believe.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

i tried it a few months ago.....didnt get too far. it had rained a bit recently, and i didnt have 4x4. Plus i was told a ways up ahead it was closed anyway cause they were still working on it, and i didnt wanna waste my time. Havent been that way in the last couple months, so i dont know the updates. Though i am going in January again, so i am interested to know if its totally passable so i can drive the whole way there.

Blog Entries

I had a chance to make the trip a month or 2 ago but it was a last minute thing, and I could not get away. The guy told me then there was 1 section that was pretty rough.

Not seeing bus traffic in Bluefields yet so that is why I am saying it is not "finished ".

Anxious to make the trip once I hear an "all clear" and have some time on my hands.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

In other words...

The road is finished.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sometimes the lord works in mysterious ways, They pave a road and the next year they tear it up to put in the culverts, and then the following year they re-pave it to fix the damage they did.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

I remember about 15 years ago when I first started suggesting that Maria and I go to visit Nicaragua and her family. My only experience with Nicaragua was via the internet and as usual, I was only interested in the Caribbean side. Nicaragua appeared to be a small country and the distance from Managua to Bluefields looked to be fairly small. And besides, the map showed a dotted line going there.

Well, my logical self assumed that, like in the USA, a dotted line on a map was a road of some sorts.

So when I was planning the trip which included a visit to San Carlos ......again, another trip to nowhere ......and a whole nother story in itself, .... I mentioned to her that I thought that I would combine that trip with a "drive" over to Bluefields.

She broke out laughing. "Just how are you going to get to Bluefields?" she said. "I'll drive...here let me show you on the map". My assumption was that a dotted line on the map meant a road....just like here in the USA.......Right?............... "Wrong Gringo Breath".

Fifteen years later and that road is still not complete but......"Boat soon come", I guess.

"Assume" is a very tricky word in Nicaragua . . .certain to put you on the road to perdition

I assume all the diapers I buy go on Sebastian's butt,, AND I assume the milk I buy goes to feed him.
    The Nicas assume the Gringo is really stupid, and can't count . . .

Indeed, the numbers don't work; we use twice as many diapers during the weekends which he spends with his extended nica family, and he drinks twice as much milk during this time.
    And,, the only time he shows up with diaper rash is after a weekend.

Butt, the diapers are going on some baby's chapa (unless they are selling them,,, always a possibility),, and Nica adults rarely drink milk, so the milk is going into some kid's belly.
    That's good enough for me.

Any updates? I will be traveling to Bluefields in a month, and I would love to drive if possible.

Though even if the road is done, we arent having too dry of a dry season, so it still might not end up as passable anyway i guess. but im hoping it dries up by mid January.

Blog Entries

January can go either way.

I am ready to make the trip but can't get a first hand account. Traffic is passing through. but no idea on the conditions. Will keep asking and post soon as I have solid info.
    Ernie K Doe

It's been dry up here in the north.

Roadsides are already turning brown.

So, at least the first leg is do-able.
    Let us know when you go. I HAVE to go back to the US but if I'm still here,, I'll go with you.
    I have a Ford F150 4WD

Blog Entries

Keep meaning to ask in Bluefields where the Bus Terminal will be but keep forgetting. I have been seeing the Big Trucks with benches in back (transport in the Bush) that are used as "buses" so I assume they are coming in on the road, but have yet to see any "real" buses. Did see a group of motorcycles a while back guessing they came in by road.

Really expected a lot of Hoopla and news of a big ceremony but as yet have not.

If you need any pointers on Bluefields let me know.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

What will be the impact of a paved road?

Easy export of Caribbean (like coconuts) goods to Managua?

Cost of goods lower in Bluefields?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post

That is the burning question. Lot of speculation as to how it will impact the Coast.

I don't see any big decrease in prices, but maybe. Certainly going to bring more people to live along the road. Should see better Veggies on the shelves. As you mention will also change some of the way Coast Products are shipped over.

Really curious as to how it changes things. Lot of People here I talk to have mixed feelings about it, they see the positives involved but are worried about the changes it will bring.

Guess time will tell.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Coast products - what's the market price when they sell to exporters vs. selling to Managua? Why sell a coconut to Managua for ten pesos when a gringo company will pay twenty?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post

Every Nica tourist will want to make the trip once it's do-able.
    There will be opportunity galore there. The majority will come by bus.

Just need to find a niche . . . .
    A clean bathroom at the bus terminal with flush toilets??
    That's a long bus ride.

Small investment.

I'd charge ten cords,, all the gringos think that is nothing. and generally have the ten cords.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Every Nica tourist will want to make the trip once it's do-able.
    I know that I will.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Coast products - what's the market price when they sell to exporters vs. selling to Managua? Why sell a coconut to Managua for ten pesos when a gringo company will pay twenty?
    Thinking more along the lines of Palm Oil, Seafood, stuff like that. Coconut Exportation is still in pretty early stages here and the Main Buyer for Export that I know of sits at the opposite end of the road from Bluefields. Crops like Yucca, Plantain, Ayote, etc, that grow in abundance in this area can now be shipped out easier.

May also offer some opportunities for manufacturing in areas where the majority of residents are unemployed.

I don't think it will be a big miracle but it is going to change things.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

Just need to find a niche . . . .
    A clean bathroom at the bus terminal with flush toilets??
    That's a long bus ride.

Small investment.

I'd charge ten cords,, all the gringos think that is nothing. and generally have the ten cords.
    For years I have been watching what looks like a lucrative business. On the MGA-Rama buses (5-6 hours) the bus will stop somewhere midway (usually Juigalpa). The stop will have restrooms (usually in some terrible condition) I usually go behind or aside the bus if that is an option, but it is always some place with food and refreshments.

One of the bus companies stops at a little restaurant. The Place knows the bus schedules have several large steam tables loaded and ready with food to go, and they have some decent bathrooms. Some places you have to pay for the Bano, some not.

I have watched this many times and almost everyone buys something, even if only a fresco but a majority do buy food. And for those looking cheaper eats there are usually vendors set up in the same areas.

Last trip I made it was about 9 or 10 in the night when we stopped and I was hungry, did not see anything in the store that struck my fancy and it was a nuthouse to boot with all the people, so I got a Gatorade or something and decided I would wait till Rama and grab something (Rama has some Great street food and a few places there run nearly 24hrs). As the bus was about to leave the Woman sitting next to me sat down with a nice looking Hamburger, I was sad we were leaving I would have got one.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

A convenience store/pulperia is usually a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Keep meaning to ask in Bluefields where the Bus Terminal will be but keep forgetting. I have been seeing the Big Trucks with benches in back (transport in the Bush) that are used as "buses" so I assume they are coming in on the road, but have yet to see any "real" buses. Did see a group of motorcycles a while back guessing they came in by road.

Really expected a lot of Hoopla and news of a big ceremony but as yet have not.

If you need any pointers on Bluefields let me know.

Well if you hear anything before the end of January let me know please.
    Ive been to Bluefields about 40 times already in the years ive been here. Even stayed there for a full month at a time before, so i think i have a decent handle on the town. Ive just done the boat/bus combination many times, so i wouldnt mind trying to mix it up a bit and try the road option just for fun. Its probably gonna take twice as long to drive there as it will just to take that bus and boat (the buses always drive like a bat out of hell, so im pretty sure that they end up getting there just as quick as me anyway.

Speaking of change to the coast, I noticed they are also in the process of paving the Pearl Lagoon road to make it "legit" as well. They have already started and have some sections, but it looks like they got a long way to go yet. But that ought to cut the drive down a good chunk once that last part is all smooth.

I keep waiting to see in the news any info about it, but for all the news they had years back about their big plans, they havent seemed to cover any of the updates at ALL in the news about the bluefields OR the pearl lagoon road.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunkie77003 View Post

I keep waiting to see in the news any info about it, but for all the news they had years back about their big plans, they havent seemed to cover any of the updates at ALL in the news about the bluefields OR the pearl lagoon road.
    Same way for me.

I know they are still working on it because I see the MECO (company building the road) trucks at the wharf in Bluefields picking up materials and equipment off the barges.

Figure the rainy season this year really slowed them down. I think the road completetion was slated for July 2017, so if anything they are ahead of schedule (provided it opens).
    Ernie K Doe

I think the road is still under construction. Looks to be a lot of concrete and the very few vehicles on it were moving pretty quickly. But that was just what could be seen flying over near town.

Just checked NB and looks like the road is a bit wet at the moment. https://www.facebook.com/NotiBluefields

Also a couple pics of a crocodile on Little Corn.

And then my concern of what will happen with the road. The only constant is change, but I think the road will cause similar issues that have been happening in RAAN. The DAC has always seemed like a separate country with out much of a voice. Looks like state evictions.

Blog Entries

Croc on LCI???????

Yep, kinda crazy for one to swimming around out that far. Here is the bit from NB.

" Ayer sábado, un cocodrilo apareció en la pequeña Isla del Maiz (Little Corn Island) la gente se sorprendió porque dicen que nunca antes habían visto uno parecido. Anahisha Ruiz nos comparte esta foto y nos comunica que el cocodrilo regreso al mar.

Yesterday Saturday, a crocodile appeared in the small island of the corn (little corn island) people will be stunned because they say they've never seen one like it. Anahisha Ruiz we share this photo and informs us that the crocodile back to the sea.
    "

Probably pic from a flip phone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast