Thread: Got Something Nice to Eat

Blog Entries

Default Got Something Nice to Eat

Last month or 2 I had in my mind for some Squid. Sunday morning I did a walk through Bluefields and saw some. I am so careful about Seafood, I seldom buy from someone I don't know. Told the Guy, Ok I check it, he say go ahead, I handled it, smelled it, passed the test.

Cleaned it up, only a #, once you pull the tentacles and "Back Bone" it ain't much, and they were smallish to begin with.

Going to Fry is up with a few handfuls of Okra I have on hand.

That big Crab is all over right now, must be running. Lobster has gone to Shit down here, not catching much.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: Got Something Nice to Eat

Squid, had never thought to look for it around town but will have to try it.

What should I look for before a purchase? Don't know much about eating squid.

Blog Entries

Calamari if fried or sauteed in Olive Oil and Garlic but if the tubes are big enough you can stuff and grill them. We use to eat them a lot in Louisiana as they are a Bycatch of Shrimpers.

Like all seafood, smell it, feel it, if something looks wrong, keep walking..
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Squid, had never thought to look for it around town but will have to try it.

What should I look for before a purchase? Don't know much about eating squid.
    If you are not a Big Seafood Fan ease into it with the Snook and Conch. JW will skin me for this but at your local Grocery you can get the Tilapia Fillets. Look up a Long John Silvers type batter, I usually do it in a Beer Batter, Fish and Chips... Conch is pricey up there but do some Fritters.

Most my friends here love the Oily Fishes and I am no fan of that. I eat Lobster because I get it, not something I crave. Do Love me some Shrimps and when they are cheaper than Chicken, an easy choice.

If you can get someone to clean you an Old Wife (but not one of Randude's) you will certainly enjoy that fried up nice....
    Ernie K Doe

I'm good with grilled octopus in olive oil, so squid should be doable. Stuffed sounds like it would be great. I could eat shrimp and lobster for every meal. Been a long time since I've had conch fritters but they were good. Not so good when it comes to fish, especially oil / greasy ones. Non-fishy fish grilled with lemon or coconut milk and I can handle.

Great thing about BLU is all the shrimp around town. People look at you funny when you tell them its sold by the bucket on the street.

Blog Entries

Big Ass Shrimp in the buckets this week but they want 120c # head on, too rich for me.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here on the west side, rubber fish is available (pargo rubberensis, I believe) but I kept calling it that and my wife switched over to something better (pargo edulis, maybe). Squid or octopus or something is always staring at me when I go by the meat counter at La Colonia. I take the grand kids there to stare back at it.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Here on the west side, rubber fish is available (pargo rubberensis, I believe) but I kept calling it that and my wife switched over to something better (pargo edulis, maybe). Squid or octopus or something is always staring at me when I go by the meat counter at La Colonia. I take the grand kids there to stare back at it.

La Colonia has some decent fish from time to time,, frozen,,

The only shrimp I'll eat here is frozen from PriceSmart.
    The north is not exactly seafood gourmet country. I'd love to visit the RightSide just to load up on fresh seafood.

Actually, the north is not gourmet anything.

Blog Entries

Huge Red Snapper and Crab in Bluefields this morning. The Big Shrimp price is down to 90 (was 120 a week ago) so guessing it is plentiful.Wanted to buy some of the Shrimp this morning but without knowing the seller, I am not in the market..
    Ernie K Doe

At 90c / $3 a pound that would be a decent daily wage. Figure a 5 gallon bucket probably holds about 20 pounds of shrimp. Looks like most shrimpers are in town around 9am or 10am selling. They probably start shrimping at sunrise so that's about 4 or 5 hours of work, then an hour or two selling. Not a lot of overhead, small boat maybe w a motor, cast net, bucket, and plastic sandwich bags. That'd give you about $60 a day.

Blog Entries

Lot of Fishermen are Sharecroppers, don't own the Boat or Motor so not as lucrative as that.

2-3 guys per Boat, 1 usually bailing water.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Lot of Fishermen are Sharecroppers, don't own the Boat or Motor so not as lucrative as that.

2-3 guys per Boat, 1 usually bailing water.

I saw a lot of that in Baja.
    Fishermen would come over in open pangas across the Sea of Cortez, put up in primitive fish camps for three months on an open beach, one woman who would cook.

Some guy would show up from time to time with a small covered trailer filled with ice and a drum of gasoline for their motors, and some food.

Fish would go up to Mexicali to be sold door to door.

CookShow has the right idea,, know who you are buying from.

Blog Entries

My "Shrimp Guy" sometimes catches a # or less. He is 80 so not hustling too hard, only goes out for a bit at night. Pretty Good night for him is 4-5# He sells them to me 70c # for Headless. He has given me more than I have bought the last year or so as I always drop him off Papaya and such.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    1 usually bailing water.
    How could I over look that in my business plan. Not so much as overhead but as underfoot.

Just got word from a friend that got 40lbs of large shrimp for $100. Not sure if heads on or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    How could I over look that in my business plan. Not so much as overhead but as underfoot.

Just got word from a friend that got 40lbs of large shrimp for $100. Not sure if heads on or not.

I envy you guys. I get fresh seafood when I go back to the US, and that is "Fresh Frozen" generally.

Living in Paradise has its perks, even if getting there is a pain.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The last time we went to las penitas we brought a big cooler and bought fish on the beach as the boats came in and ice in town somewhere. Pargo and mackerel? i think, the relatives ate it and I'm still waiting for my triangle fish or my albacore tuna from Pricemart.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"