Thread: MR YAK

Blog Entries

Default MR YAK

Longtime member here and a Pretty Swell Guy is up to his tricks again. He started this years ago with Cake and Candy, now he hands out uniforms...

I can put you in Contact, Sure Bill can as well.

That time of year is coming soon again! If you would like to help us with our annual piñata party for kids, please message me! Again, we will have piñatas, food, gifts and candy. Also we will be supplying uniforms, backpacks and school supplies for kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend classes! Thanks for all who have helped in the past and are going to help again this year!

‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: MR YAK

How do we get money to you?

Do you have PayPal?

Blog Entries

I did not think to ask him but will, maybe even Coax him into posting again...
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Jack needs to make more effort, me thinks. He is doing fine in Jinotepe, has a wonderful woman, and doing his thing, but if you want help for deeds, make more effort. Kev, not your problem, you have enough on your plate. Get your butt to Granada and buy me a drink! :P
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

I gave up helping the masses a long time of go but still help those around me that I can figure out what they need.

One of the coolest things I have done was way back when I started coming here I would solicit baseball equipment from States friends, had a way to ship it that did not cost me anything.

1 of the kids that benefited from those donations now has a World Series Ring.

You only have to help 1, but boy it is hard to find that 1...
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-06-2016 at 06:33 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I gave up helping the masses a long time of go but still help those around me that I can figure out what they need.

One of the coolest things I have done was way back when I started coming here I would solicit baseball equipment from States friends, had a way to ship it that did not cost me anything.

It's as much about the helper as the helpee. When the helpee scores,, it's a bonus.

Most need a hand from time to time, some more than others.
    You just never know . . . . . when you'll strike gold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Wow - who's the one that was on a World Series team?

It's hard to imagine one playing baseball alone. You need teams. And if it were theoretically possible to spot the one with the golden potential and focus all resources on him/her. What kind of person would leave his chums, his brothers to pursue fame & wealth? (Oh wait, promoting the chosen one is what we're about. It is the core idea of our entire system of advancement, climbing the ladder. Stratifying society. The meritocracy.)
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Cheslor Cuthbert that plays for the Royals.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Wow - who's the one that was on a World Series team?

It's hard to imagine one playing baseball alone. You need teams. And if it were theoretically possible to spot the one with the golden potential and focus all resources on him/her. What kind of person would leave his chums, his brothers to pursue fame & wealth? (Oh wait, promoting the chosen one is what we're about. It is the core idea of our entire system of advancement, climbing the ladder. Stratifying society. The meritocracy.)

It is the core idea of our entire system of advancement, climbing the ladder.
    Opposite of communism.

I got a taste of this when I lived in El Largatillo studying Spanish with Los Hijos del Maiz for a couple of weeks.

School was run by a Junta, flavor of the revolution was still predominant back then, individualism was discouraged among the campesino maestros. Families rotated the home stay opportunities, and students were not allowed to choose.
    This eliminated competition among the families and any incentive to improve the home stay accommodation. I got lucky, but a young German student left mid-week in disgust with his room.

I lucked out with my teacher as well, a young woman who was completing a degree in Managua. Highly motivated, determined to beat some Spanish into my head.
    However, when I decided to stay a second week I was told I would have to move to a different teacher. I refused, this provoked an emergency meeting of the junta, where they decided the young lady could not teach me a second week.

I cut an outside deal with my home stay "mother", paid her directly for a week's room and board, and practiced my marginal Spanish by complaining loudly to anyone who would listen about the unjustice of it all.
    They must have got really tired of hearing my comparison to buying a car from Pellas: "I buy a car from Pellas, I choose the color,, Pellas doesn't tell me what color I have to take . . ."
    I think that they were pleased to finally see me go
    I've been back a couple of times since,, the (very small) town now has electricity, which really changed it.

Neat waterfall with a pool below,, quite a hike but well worth it.
    Spent many an afternoon there after school. Rented a bike in Achuapa and covered a lot of territory.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=el+l...Xka-klF1N-M%3A

Taste of Nicaragua which is rapidly vanishing.
    Site of a big Contra battle,, town was burned to the ground, people fled to Achuapa over a low pass in the middle of the night
    Some Swiss guy built small brick houses for the people to replace the burned out hulks.
    He came back shortly before he died,, with his son, got to meet him, but his son wouldn't talk to me.

You can go in from the north if you have a vehicle, from the PanAM, road is marked by one of those big Earth Mother sculptures.
    Road climbs high,,, interesting country, I actually got hailed on as I returned the last time

Sorry to go on,, that was my first experience with people who could still be considered "communists" and were attempting to retain that ambiance.
    Brought back a lot of memories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    ... system of advancement, climbing the ladder.
    Opposite of communism.
    All organizations have their hierarchy. Some follow, some lead. Weren't the pigs 'more equal' than all the others in "Animal Farm"?

... I lived in El Largatillo studying Spanish with Los Hijos del Maiz for a couple of weeks.
    How in the world did you end up in Podunk, Nicaragua to learn Spanish?

buying a car from Pellas: "I buy a car from Pellas, I choose the color,, Pellas doesn't tell me what color I have to take . . ."
    Henry Ford is reported to have said, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." He must have been a communist.

.You can go in from the north if you have a vehicle, from the PanAM, road is marked by one of those big Earth Mother sculptures.
    Thru Tisey Reserve, I assume - does fydel still have his encampment of dome habitats there?
    We visited El Sauce for their fiestas patronales. Pretty nice.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.