Thread: November Rains

Blog Entries

Default November Rains

Anyone that lives on the Coast Cringes a bit when you mention November. Biggest Hurricanes to hit the Country have been in November and it can be a wild weather month even without Cyclonic activity.

The most rain I measured here was 200 inches 1 year, it rained 4 feet in July and again in November.

Last night and now this morning we are getting a welcome to November. I woke up several times in the night and it was solid, hard rain. 4am and it has eased off some but still some waves of it. Stillo to dark to see the sky but sure no stars to be seen.

First trip to the Island was a November one, I shit you not it was like a 1 month Tropical Storm parked overhead. Friend of mine promised that as soon as he moved into his House we was buying an Electric Clothes Dryer (and he did), everyone had clothes hung in their houses with fans blowing on them.

Why in the Hell I ever went back is still a Mystery to me.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: November Rains

My rain gauge is how much mud is in the street when I go to walk the dogs. Petty bad today.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

1. Get a gas dryer. Not that much at PriceSmart. Made in Canada.
    Electric is too much money, and really needs 220V and 30Amp to work effectively.

Gas is simpler: Hook up a chimbo, plug it in and go.
    Dry, dry, dry clothes with no smell. Quickly.

2. Get an electric mattress pad.
    Little juice, and you really don't need the heat, but keeps the bedding wonderfully dry and odor free.
    Turn it on in the evening,, by the time you go to bed, the bed is warm and dry.

Dry to day, but overcast. We have been getting those rain sheets too, impressive.
    Farm is on a downslope, so water doesn't puddle, except in my lake. Lot of muddy spots, though.

It seems that every year is different.

We've gone semi-modern (like semi-estandard rebar?) on clothes drying, No mo hanging clothes on the barb wire cerco! We have clothes pins on paracord, fancy scmancy. Takes some planning, get the wash out early and take it down or move it under the covered patio before rain. In these dry years it works fine.

Had an electric blanket during the 2 wet years at the country place. Maybe you right, I should bring it down to the main house in a wet year as a bed dryer. Put it on 20 minutes before bedtime and then turn it off and it was nice and cozy. If you show it to people and explain that it will fry them like a bunuelo it helps keep peeple off your bed!

Yep weather here is variable. I've seen something like 2 wet years, 4 drought years and the rest "normal". Kinda hard to remember what normal is.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

We are getting it tonight. Every time I woke it was raining. About 2 the Thunder shook the bldg. Laid there for a bit but more of the same, had to get up and look. Storm is not that close to us, Bluefields may get it. Lots of Lighting. Just had another 10+ seconds of solid Thunder.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Been weather all day, got lucky on my first boat ride, 2nd was nasty and had it been a little later it would have been much worse. Watching the water in the boat rise, when it got up to my ankles I looked out to see how far out we were. Now Lightning throwing down everywhere.

Another Day in Paradise.
    Ernie K Doe

Hope they gave you some plastic to get under and a bucket to bail with . . .