Thread: Thanksgiving Miracle

Blog Entries

Default Thanksgiving Miracle

Last week I been so busy watching this Storm (that is now a Hurricane and 80 miles away) that I had not even remembered it was Thanksgiving this week. Last 2 years I have gone to the States to celebrate, was not in the cards this year.

Getting a Turkey here involves Air Travel and that was also not in the cards for me.

Yesterday I get a Kryptic email, "I am bringing a Turkey". Most everyone knows I have a Thanksgiving Fetish and I really thought it was a Cruel Joke that I was not finding amusing. Sure as Shit a 22# Butterball Turkey got rolled off Costenas ATR-42 and landed in my lap.

Hope it is thawed, was still real solid at 10pm when I last fondled it. I plan to rub it all over today, Good thing there is no PETA here because the things I will do with this bird are truly obscene.

Got bread ready to make Dressing, no cornmeal anywhere so no cornbread in it, got to go round up a few other sides and guess I will make some sort of rolls, and of course some gravy to lay on top of all of it, Turkey even arrived with Cranberry Sauce.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thanksgiving Miracle

Divine intervention perhaps? Guess you have been a good boy this year!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Congratulations on your turkey. It's not the same as turkey, but (assuming they aren't closed due to weather) I plan on getting a full roasted chicken from Pali to celebrate today. At least it will look like a small turkey, and if I microwave some of it, it even kind of tastes like turkey.
    Soy el chele mono.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Good thing there is no PETA here because the things I will do with this bird are truly obscene.
    Hope no . . . special sauce.

Happy Turkey Day Yalls!

Blog Entries

At least it wasn't dropped live from WKRP's helicopter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    At least it wasn't dropped live from WKRP's helicopter.

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly". One of the funniest lines in all of television.....ever!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ZVITPfzEdOBCRg

Blog Entries

Someone posted the clip the other day on FB, had to watch it, never gets old.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Divine intervention perhaps? Guess you have been a good boy this year!

I priced a big Butterball turkey in La Colonia this afternoon,, 99 cords /pound,, marked down.

It had a price tag of just over 2000 cords,,,
    I'd need some divine intervention to buy it.. That and the cranberry sauce in cans at $2.50/can

We had spent the afternoon at Toney Reed's beautiful place west of Estelí. Toney is a farmer, kind of like us,, but as an ex investment banker,, can pretend a lot better than we can.
    Met some really interesting people,, outstanding food. Shelley baked a couple of cherry pies,, and made a mess of sweet potatoes (which we found in Honduras).

Krisnia and I had been arguing all day about the word for turkey in Nicaragua,, she insisting that it's Chumpe.
    It seems that there is a different word in every country. I remember guacalote from Mexico.
    When we found the freezer case at La Colonia the big sign said Pavo, giving me the opportunity to suggest that perhaps Chumpe is a campo word.
    She hates to be reminded of her campo roots.

Continuing our chicken pricing exercise at La Colonia, we found whole chicken breasts with wings removed for 38 cords a pound,, but the whole chicken priced at 42 !!!

Why would someone buy a whole chicken at 42 when they can buy breast at 38?
    Clearly, the RostiPollo lady in Condega is getting one hell of a deal buying her birds at 25 cords/pound.

I weighed a couple of the whole chickens at La Colonia and they came in at just over 2 lbs.
    This was the same brand,, Tip Top

I didn't weigh the breasts, but they had to be at least that, so the breasts were from bigger birds.
    Thinking that there had to be some anomaly specific to La Colonia we drove over to MaxiPali where we found similar pricing.

Maybe the demand for the smaller birds drives the pricing?

Blog Entries

Never seen any whole Chickens that small over here. 3-4# is the smallest and a few places have the really big (7+#), they are usually referred to as Pollo Navidad. I saw a place advertising the big ones for 28c# this last week, the smaller ones are usually 32-34c #.

The place doing Rosti Pollo is obviously ordering in the chickens they use and as I mentioned they are marinated.

I have always said I would raise a Turkey one of these days but I doubt you could find anything around here that you could get up to a decent weight for cooking.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Never seen any whole Chickens that small over here. 3-4# is the smallest and a few places have the really big (7+#), they are usually referred to as Pollo Navidad. I saw a place advertising the big ones for 28c# this last week, the smaller ones are usually 32-34c #.

The place doing Rosti Pollo is obviously ordering in the chickens they use and as I mentioned they are marinated.

I have always said I would raise a Turkey one of these days but I doubt you could find anything around here that you could get up to a decent weight for cooking.

What do you think of the idea of just roasting breasts and maybe thighs for the crowd that likes dark meat?
    Thighs are always less money. Those two pound breasts would go in the roaster without any modification.

That might be a niche. I'd rather buy a roasted, marinated breast, than the whole chicken.

What I'd "rather" than what the Nicas would "rather" I've found is often VERY different.

Blog Entries

Pavo or chumpipe. Maybe chompipe. Possum/opossum, whatever floats their boat.

Blog Entries

So Kevin........How did the turkey turn out?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    So Kevin........How did the turkey turn out?
    Everyone said it turned out good but I had a pretty easy crowd as the majority had never eaten Turkey. Was nothing open so Thanksgiving was Turkey, Dressing, and Cranberry Sauce.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    What do you think of the idea of just roasting breasts and maybe thighs for the crowd that likes dark meat?
    Thighs are always less money. Those two pound breasts would go in the roaster without any modification.

That might be a niche. I'd rather buy a roasted, marinated breast, than the whole chicken.

What I'd "rather" than what the Nicas would "rather" I've found is often VERY different.
    I think you would be better off doing whole chickens but offering halves or quarters.

All of the Fried Chicken places had combos where you got Fries and what I guess is supposed to be Cole Slaw (same as Tip Top). Fries would mean a Fryer. I would figure up some sort of sides to avoid having to fry anything.

The BEST Rosti Pollo I ever ate (and I ate it many times over many years) was down in Baja, south of Ensenada, right on the corner where you turn to go to Estero Beach. Cooked over wood. They had something I have never seen and never really could figure out. You got the Chicken, Corn Tortillas and Salsa (as you would expect) and what could be best described as "Spaghetti" Pasta in Sauce. I always thought that was an odd combination but the place did a crazy business.

Conveniently and directly across the Highway from the Chicken place is a Tamale Stand with some of the best Tamales I have ever eaten.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The only place in Bluefields to get it before the Super Market started doing them was at Tip Top.they had the roaster out in plain sight. I went in there one day and did not really notice until after I ordered, no roaster and they Microwaved the Chicken so maybe they are bringing over here precooked, that was the last time I was in there and that was well over a year ago.

I would get a half now and then at the Super, but I am not a big fan of their cooking style, they usually have the cooked ones on the lowest level and the "less" cooked ones on the upper levels (dripping on the cooked ones). I strive to avoid Intestinal Turbulence best I can so been a long while since I have partook. Now they only sale the whole ones so that makes them easier to pass up. I can buy 3# of Filete de Pollo for about the same price and make many meals from that.

If I lived in MGA I would probably live on them, especially at 150 cords a bird.
    Ernie K Doe

As far as I'm concerned the breast,, either whole with bone in, or the boneless, skinless, fillets are a better deal than the whole RostiPollo.

Usually 67 for the latter at La Colonia,, but often on special for ten cords less.
    So yeah,, if you catch them on special you can almost buy 3 lb of boneless breast for the price of a whole chicken.
    They will also bring you a bag from the back still frozen if you ask for it. I've only bought breasts that way, but I imagine they have whatever you want.
    Customer friendly staff at La Colonia.

For us the frozen chicken allows us to get everything but ice cream safely home in a cooler.

I really like fried chicken , and we have a small gas weber barbecue too.
    If the chicken is marinated overnight, that may be the best of all.

We usually get a couple of meals out of one of the RostiPollos, depending on who's here eating, and then Krisnia does her carcass stripping thing and we get enough for some chicken salad sandwiches.

I'm getting into potatoes now,,, I met a young guy who planted a couple of MZ in a red potato about 500 meters from me,, and they came out really well.
    I bought a quintal from him for C$700 and am going to try to give away the smaller ones, scrub the keepers, dry them and pack them in wood shavings.

I'd like to build a walk in cooler, using the AC unit that I had on top of the 24 ft trailer that I hauled down here. It weighs a ton and we keep moving it around
    I don't need real cold, cold or freezing,, I would be happy with a consistent 50 F.
    We could experiment with making some cheese . . . .

Double walls, with a couple sheets of 2" poroglas (their name for that rigid, white. foam insulation).
    Melvin has already agreed to tile the complete interior of a 8 x 8 x 10 box for C$5000.
    I have a lot of refrigeration tools here,, including a couple of sets of gauges, and a vacuum pump.
    But I have no idea as to how to do the calculations on btu losses,, which will determine how big I can go and still get the temp I want.

Blog Entries

In Bluefields they now have a Chicken distributor where you can get all the various pieces (except the Filete) Thighs or Legs are 32c, Pechuga Especial (no wing) is 42c, Filete is 75c at the places that sell it.

Everywhere else you buy what I call "Bag Chicken", basically quarters, you ask for either Chest or Leg, the bags are usually 1.25-1.5#, price is usually around 42c # now.

I was in the mood for BBQ Chcken last month, got a few pounds of the thighs, marinated them over night, grilled them, then slathered on sauce, will be repeating that soon.

Think Potatoes are 10c# right now here but don't hold me to that, will ask later. We very rarely see the Red Potatoes over here, usually buy some when I see them, I think most over here would take the regular ones given a choice as they are "familiar". You are crazy to get rid of the small ones, Boil them up or slice them in half and put them on the grill in a Foil packet with Butter and such, those are the best ones.

I saw someone post a pic of growing Potatoes in a Quintal Sack, looked like an interesting idea. Also seen pics of people growing them in tires and they keep stacking tires and adding dirt, looked like neat ways to grow a few.

You going to try and get any sprouts from the Sweet Potatoes you got? That is something I think people would like if they knew it. We grow a Sweet Potato over here but it is more Kin to Rock than Potato, unless boiling it for an obscene amount of time it is inedible to me. Several years ago a neighbor talked me into growing some so I had a glut of it. Finally figured out what to do with them. Sliced them razor thin on my Mandolin, fried them in my Home Grown Lard, Sweet Potato Chips, everyone loved them.

Instead of building a cooler may be better off to dig a "Root Cellar" if you have a spot you could Secure. I generally try to look for the Lowest of Low Tech ways to solve problems here, tends to make life much easier.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I have to agree with Kevin on two points. For Gods sake keep the small potatoes and cook them like he said. Those are the best ones.

I also think that a root cellar is the way to go. My grandparents had one and the harvested potatoes lasted quite a long time when stored there.

Blog Entries

Checked, Papas 20c#, but they are one the things you see big fluctuations in their price during the year.
    Ernie K Doe

" . . .You going to try and get any sprouts from the Sweet Potatoes you got?.."

We are trying sprouting some of them both in moist sand and in moist wood shavings.

Yeah, we're big sweet potato fans and every Nica who has tried them baked, then slathered with butter and brown sugar has become a believer.

I wanted to bring slips from the US with me last time but they are only available at certain times of year.

" . .. I also think that a root cellar is the way to go . .

I do too, but don't think it would stay cool enough through the summer here.
    But I don't know that for sure. Someone is just going to have to try it.
    I have a bluff where I could dig the "cellar" into the side of the hill.

The advantage of a root cellar, generally, is the higher, consistent, humidity is more conducive to keeping root crops.

My grandparents in Iowa did all of this.
    I remember my grandfather following potato prices, and when they fell from 3 cents a pound, to 2 cents, he would strike, buying enough to get through the winter.

On the construction pic of the root cellar,, those plywood beams don't look like much, but if you can keep them from twisting,, they have enormous strength.
    I used something like this in Mexico to build beams for my house. It was difficult to get long dimensional lumber to the site, and at the time I was buying 2x4's for 92 cents, and 4x8 OSB for about $5 a sheet. I could only cross to my remote beach twice a month, for a couple of days each time, during the full and new moon tides. Otherwise I went back and forth with a small boat. The rest of the time there was 16 feet of water over my "road".

So I built my own beams, of pretty much any length, using the OSB and the 2x4's.
    I'd have Home Depot cut the OSB into 11 x 96" lengths, or wider if I needed a really long beam ( I had to use several Home Depots, lumber guys would hide from me when they saw me coming).
    The strength is all in the width of the OSB, the two by fours were just there to keep it straight. I used an air powered crown stapler, slathered the long side of the 2x4 with wood glue,, and stapled the OSB lengths to the 2 x 4's, overlapping at 4' intervals. A picture would be worth a thousand words here, but this was before the digital age.

I had a small scuba compressor (still have it) which I used to fill dive tanks so I wouldn't have to run a generator all the time.
    The tanks would fill in 20 minutes and were good for several hours of stapling.

My grandmother was a canning fool, maintained an enormous garden, and towards the end of summer, would get together with friends two or three days a week in a big outdoors kitchen.

They had numerous apple trees, and would pick the best to save through the winter.
    Each would be wrapped individually in a piece of newspaper and stored in a barrel in the cellar.

So, I might have the genes but I sure don't have the "conocido".

The walk in cooler I mentioned earlier would be handy for hanging meat, and turns out very simple to build.
    Various YouTube denizens claim to have done it for $1500.

The key to using a regular AC unit for the walk in cooler is the CoolBot,
    which takes over the temperature control of the AC unit and allows you to reach a temp of 35 degrees.
    It also has a sensor that attaches to the fins of the AC evaporator and keeps the AC unit from icing up.

https://www.storeitcold.com/meat/

https://www.storeitcold.com/standing-guide/

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 11-27-2016 at 12:34 PM.