Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dreams vs reality

Default Re: dreams vs reality

With new culture and small farming experience I think I would have more chance winning the Lotto rather then making any money from a small hobby farm especially if you don't have deep pockets. Thing is I just want to enjoy life and if the farm makes money great if not that is ok to

Blog Entries

When visiting here, make all the plans you want but remember, "No plan of battle survives first contact with the enemy." Or, Nicaragua has a way of eating up your plans, chewing them, and spitting them out. Expect to do one or two things per day. Between the aggravation of getting around, whether it's driving, taking a taxi or bus, or walking, even short trips are more complex and stressful than most of us are used to. It's good to have a chauffeur who knows where things are and who treats you with respect, so that would help a first time visitor.

Put another way, it's not realistic to do a "If this is Tuesday this must be Ticuantepe" kind of guided and organized visit.

And if the idea of the roadside being used as a trash dump/cattle drive/horse hitching area/toilet/drainage ditch puts you off, think long and hard about what you expect from a place like this. People are still nice here, life is simple, but not simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Expect to do one or two things per day.
    #1 Take a siesta
    #2 Drink some rum

My day is complete!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    #1 Take a siesta
    #2 Drink some rum

My day is complete!
    Some days, that is about it. Squalls all day long, had planned to go to Bluefields today but decided a Panga ride in 30 knot winds was not going to happen. Nice nap, few beers before dark, then bed. Big Day....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

It's windy everywhere today! Managua was windy, it was windy all the way up the Pan American highway, and Esteli is windy. Diriamba was windy yesterday, but it's almost always windy there.

It's 72*F here.

Yea good to know that whatever you plan is gonna out the window when in nicaragua , then i will follow the advice of Kwah2249 1. take a siesta 2. drink some rum and try the next plan Ohh and its freezing cold and storm warning here in sunny Iceland

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    It's windy everywhere today! Managua was windy, it was windy all the way up the Pan American highway, and Esteli is windy. Diriamba was windy yesterday, but it's almost always windy there.

It's 72*F here.
    Been around 70 in the mornings here. Last few weeks I have slept without a fan on most nights.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

#1 Take a siesta
    #2 Drink some rum

My day is complete!

Man,, I wish I had your life.

[QUOTE=cookshow;150233]I am getting Old and Boring, have not hit or been hit with a Machete in a good while, few close calls but nothing worth reporting. There is always Today...[/QUOTE

Plenty of people still around who need a good smack with the flat of a machete, but I'm getting too old to do my share.

I'm more interested in that rum and siesta deal,, is that a Right Side thing?

Blog Entries

Not sure it a Right Side Thing, but we have made great strides in perfecting it.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

#1 Take a siesta
    #2 Drink some rum
    La amo mi siestita. . .especially after a carb overload for lunch.

Problem is no one in my Nica family does that - take a little early afternoon 'power nap' - nor does anyone use the term 'siesta'. It seems to have disappeared about the time analog clocks did. Siestas always made sense - culturally, economically and health-wise: during the hottest part of the day, close shops, stay off the street, eat a big meal slowly, take a cold shower and flake out naked in a hammock under a fan with a good book. I blame it's loss on globalization: it's a 9 to 5 world now. Gone is the 8 to noon + 3 to 7 workday.

Re. no. 2, I've found that a shot of aged FdC in my morning coffee is a nice corkscrew to unstopper that AM stupor. Whereupon I make lengthy plans to do nothing. Or contemplate chaos.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Daddy-Yo is right, siestas are gone the way of daylight savings time.

Odd they still have siestas to some extent in BLU. Everything doesn't just stop but it does slow down for a while after lunch then picks back up.

Blog Entries

In Bluefields the bigger shops all close noon-2, kinda have to plan you day if you need to shop that time of day.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Seen there was a tornado in BLU Tuesday, or that is what Accion 10 called it.

I believe the time of a "Structured" Siesta has passed, but not the inpromptu siesta is still plodding along.

Sister in law will regularly pull the doors closed of her home front auto parts (or have a family member man the counter) while she goes off and grabs some afternoon ZZZzzz's

The stores opened by locals, that have spent time up north, seem to have abandoned it for sure.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 12-22-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You snooze, you loose, that is the economics of it. My favorite Corona paint store keeps traditional hours, good for them they get to eat lunch at home. But, too many times I have been in town running errands in horrible traffic and have stopped by when they are closed. Now I gravitate to another store that keeps modern hours, even though they are in a worse traffic and parking area. Sinsa is also falling off my favorites list, too expensive, long lines, bad parking.

Speaking of siestas, how come retired in paradise I am painting more than I ever did?
    I thought Nic. was the burial grounds of aging hippies, is it also the burial grounds of aging workaholics, too?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

[QUOTE=Jonh;150264]When visiting here, make all the plans you want but remember, "No plan of battle survives first contact with the enemy." Or, Nicaragua has a way of eating up your plans, chewing them, and spitting them out. Expect to do one or two things per day. Between the aggravation of getting around, whether it's driving, taking a taxi or bus, or walking, even short trips are more complex and stressful than most of us are used to. It's good to have a chauffeur who knows where things are and who treats you with respect, so that would help a first time visitor.

Put another way, it's not realistic to do a "If this is Tuesday this must be Ticuantepe" kind of guided and organized visit.

And if the idea of the roadside being used as a trash dump/cattle drive/horse hitching area/toilet/drainage ditch puts you off, think long and hard about what you expect from a place like this. People are still nice here, life is simple, but not simple.[/QUOTE/

Amen, Brother.

You preach the truth. My head in bowed, my eyes are closed, my hands are raised with palms outstretched (well,, one hand is,, the other has a half empty , or half full,, you choose,, glass of FDC). I have too many things to do, or I would shortly be speaking in tongues.

This could all have something to do with the mare kicking me in the face earlier this morning. I didn't see that coming.

But,, I think it's the life in Nicaragua. CookShow knows of what I speak.
    Newbies,,, be warned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk

Blog Entries

Guessing up in the Cold world things are somewhat structured, here it is kinda the opposite, shit flying every direction. If you can acclimate you can have a pretty good life here. Read the posts here and elsewhere, try to to avoid the pitfalls. You will still mixed up in a mess or 2 but if you are flexible you can bounce back.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Guessing up in the Cold world things are somewhat structured, here it is kinda the opposite, shit flying every direction. If you can acclimate you can have a pretty good life here. Read the posts here and elsewhere, try to to avoid the pitfalls. You will still mixed up in a mess or 2 but if you are flexible you can bounce back.
    I'll settle for little less christmas madness Thought that I would be trampled under foot by crazy mothers doing there last christmas presents

P.s. everybody have good holidays

" . . . .I'll settle for little less christmas madness Thought that I would be trampled under foot by crazy mothers doing there last christmas presents . . . .
    \
    Wait until you get here. I was in MaxiPali two days ago,, couldn't walk around. It's WalMart,, why don't they stock shelves like the do in the US, midnight to 8AM ??

Then I waited in line for an hour to check out. I would have left the cart and made my way to La Colonia except I needed the . . . . diapers. There is something wrong with the picture but I haven't figured it out yet.

But, only one person jumped the line. You could see the wheels turning in a couple of others. It was interesting to watch the other shoppers just nudge her cart out of the way, pushing her into a no man's land between the registers.
    Nobody said a word to her, even their looks were muted and non-judgemental.

And,, the diapers were on special!!
    See, there is a Santa Claus.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I try to hide from Christmas. It's hard when you have a Nica family because they re just learning(?) all the stuff you learned 50 years ago.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

Yeah, after more than fifty Christmases it gets to be like dropping bread crumbs in a koi pond, they come running and fight each other for morsels.

I am just happy that its not in the black Friday category or it would be not bread crumbs and koi fishes but blood and sharks with a very scared Icelander thrown in to the mix

Blog Entries

That cutting in line kills me, few days ago I was standing in a rather long line, and had been there a rather long time. Woman gets it front of me, I put a hand on each of her shoulders and turned her around and pointed to the end of the line, a long way behind me, everyone in the line was laughing. Asked her if she had bumped her head and was lost.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    That cutting in line kills me, few days ago I was standing in a rather long line, and had been there a rather long time. Woman gets it front of me, I put a hand on each of her shoulders and turned her around and pointed to the end of the line, a long way behind me, everyone in the line was laughing. Asked her if she had bumped her head and was lost.

Have never seen anyone cut at La Colonia. I like to think that it attracts a better clentele And,, of course, it does.

Endemic at the Pali in Condega. You can't allow your attention to be diverted for a minute, someone will sneak in front of you. The real question is,, why do the cashiers tolerate it? In the US,,, the cashier would just ignore the line jumper and continue to check out the people in line.

That store is a total POS (Condega Pali)

Had a friend who spent a lot of time in the Far East, in the Navy. He claimed that you had to keep your belly against the back of the person in front of you. Any space at all,, someone would try to slip in.

I'd always assumed that the line jumping in Nicaragua was part of the aprovechar culture. But,, I suspect it's more complicated than that. For example, at Pali,, relatively small community,, the line jumper probably knows the cashier,,, might be family,, probably feels entitled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12