Thread: Cinnamon tea

Blog Entries

Default Cinnamon tea

Since the lingering cough from last week's cold won't go away, everyone's offering me cinnamon tea. Since I've experienced the bliss of cinnamon tea many times, I never turn it down. The last cup I had was mixed with "trinity flower," which Melissa probably knows what it is. Cinnamon tea with sugar is extremely calming, one cup and I swear my blood pressure drops twenty inches of Hg. Tonight's tea did act as an expectorant, tossing loose the phlegm for a while. It's good medicine!

Default Re: Cinnamon tea

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Since the lingering cough from last week's cold won't go away, everyone's offering me cinnamon tea. Since I've experienced the bliss of cinnamon tea many times, I never turn it down. The last cup I had was mixed with "trinity flower," which Melissa probably knows what it is. Cinnamon tea with sugar is extremely calming, one cup and I swear my blood pressure drops twenty inches of Hg. Tonight's tea did act as an expectorant, tossing loose the phlegm for a while. It's good medicine!

I've found the best medicine for a persistent cough is some codeine cough syrup.
    They still use codeine here, so you might be able to find some, or get someone to mix some up. It really stops the cough impulse.
    They USED to sell it over the counter in the US,, I guess that tells you how old I am.

I'll try that tea with the baby. He's had something that just drags on. It's not serious,, no fever, no apparent sore throat, just raspy breathing and mocos.
    Not in his lungs YET. I had him in bed with me last night,, rough night for both of us. He's only with us two days a week,, generally,, and usually sleeps with Krisnia when he's here. I know he's warm and dry when he's with her, but I have doubts about when he's with his nanny.

The weather on the mountain just sucks,, there is no other word for it. It's not raining heavily any more,, but rains a lot,, thick mist in the early mornings that permeates everything. I'm thinking of some source of wood heat going forward,, small wood stove maybe, or a pre-fabbed fireplace,,, more to dry things out.

We drop down into Condega or Estelí to beautiful sunshine.

The Gheester toddles everywhere now,, chases the chickens and pigs, and into everything. His favorite place is the pig pen.
    He's never been really sick,, takes a gummi bear multi vitamin that I shipped down from the US. His diet is good, even though he's not here all the time,, I bring him caldo and rosti pollo. Apples and bananas. And I buy enough milk for three kids.

He's losing his baby fat with all the exercise, and is getting rangy.
    I'm just getting older.

Merry Christmas to All

Have you tried the hibiscus / sorrel tea? Pretty good hot or cold.

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Have you tried the hibiscus / sorrel tea? Pretty good hot or cold.

Shelley's sore throat turned into a nasty cough. We ground up a quarter of a Norco (hydrocodone) and mixed it into a cup of tea. The effect is amazing,, the cough STOPS. We have codeine,, but I don't know where it is.

I come down with a load of generic Nyquil, Costco tylenol, and cough syrup, every trip. It goes fast once the rains set in. We bring down baby Tylenol too, but insist on managing the dosage ourselves. That is probably the most satisfying medicine, watching a crying baby settle down and drift off after a squirt of tylenol in his mouth.

Some guy showed up at our house last week about 8PM, wanting an injection of anti-inflammatory. DicloFenaco. He brought his own, a couple of those glass ampules that you break the neck off.

They use this a lot as an analgesic, in higher dosage than we are used to. He had fallen off his motorcycle and had some light road rash (hard to get any serious road rash when the roads are mud,, but there are still rocks and gravel).

Medicine is interesting here. If it's something simple,, it's free and easy.
    If it's involved,, you may die before they
    1; figure it out,,
    2; get it treated

Blog Entries

Diclofinac (sp) is the go to here if in pain, I have used it, works.

For cough see if you can get some Trumpet Tree leaves and make a Tea with them, strong medicine.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Diclofinac (sp) is the go to here if in pain, I have used it, works.

For cough see if you can get some Trumpet Tree leaves and make a Tea with them, strong medicine.

You don't see much use of narcotics for simple pain here.
    I've not been involved with anyone suffering serious,, end of life, discomfort here, but have been in situations where someone would have been handed a narcotic pain reliever in the US.

I have a back that used to give me grief from time to time (far less now since I lost 20 lbs and am much more active). I would be routinely handed a bottle of Norco and a muscle relaxer. I would take one norco until the muscle relaxer kicked in, and throw the rest of the bottle in a box. In Mexico I discovered a time release version of Naproxen and Carisoprodol sold under the brand name of Naxodol or Caridoxen. This works far better, faster and longer than the Norco/muscle relaxer I used in the US. You don't get the mild Norco buzz, but I think the pain relief is every bit as good.

MY POINT: You have to keep an open mind here. With the casual availability of most drugs here,, seeking alternatives to narcotics is probably a priority. Despite the efforts to restrict access to opioids in the US, abuse has become a huge problem.