Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas

Blog Entries

Default Merry Christmas

Last 48 hours I think it rained 40. I wake this morning as usual around 4, laying in bed stretching, thinking to get up, big Thunder and then more Rain, what the Hell, I roll over and manage to sleep more. 6am I wake (never sleep that late), raining like Hell, I laid in bed shaking my Head.

Finally about 6:30 I get out of bed, come out to check internet. Been hearing some commotion all night, and now I was seeing it. About 30 drunken Men in the Park Gazebo, most of them screaming at each other. Last hour the crowd has dispersed and the rain continues to get harder.

My only Christmas Wish, is some Peace and Quiet, those of you living in Nica know the slim chance of that.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Merry Christmas

The only rain in Esteli has been fireworks, which reached a crecendo about midnight last night, but are still going on.

We have road noise, late night roosters, a piano player next door who wants to check out my new guitar, and several very noisy birds. The mourning doves here sound crazy, and I haven't identified the bird that screeches like a car alarm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    The only rain in Esteli has been fireworks, which reached a crecendo about midnight last night, but are still going on.

We have road noise, late night roosters, a piano player next door who wants to check out my new guitar, and several very noisy birds. The mourning doves here sound crazy, and I haven't identified the bird that screeches like a car alarm.
    John.....You are starting to sound like a cranky old man ..... welcome to the club!

Merry Christmas Everyone.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Get off my lawn!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Raining here and was close to freezing earlier. Some people would complain if you gave them money . . . Yall enjoy some warm weather for me and Happy Holidays!

I'm in the FN (frozen north) for the second Xmas in a row! Oh, the silence and dignity of it all!
    Rain in the desert, too, kinda weird for December.

Too bad the little woman couldn't make it up because her daughter just had a baby in Esteli. All is well, she is baby happy to have a third grandchild and cooking up a storm with the new stove she just bought. Hopefully the holidays and diaper patrol will wear her thin and she will be ready for some travel when I get back.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

All the noise noise noise doesn't bother me. I'm way beyond seeking to control my environment.

I picked up something in the food that I ate in the park last night--probably from the "beef" in sauce. So, today I've been in the spirit of giving--explosively out of both ends.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    I picked up something in the food that I ate in the park last night--probably from the "beef" in sauce. So, today I've been in the spirit of giving--explosively out of both ends.

So a "Merry Christmas" would not be in order?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

MetroNidazole (Flagyl) will fix the back end,,, and quickly. Available at any pharmacy. If you've got the clap you will fix two birds with one pill. I take 500 mg daily for three days.

Top end,,, drink two, two liter bottles of water for even more explosive results and a quick resolution. Make sure no one (no friends anyway) is within a two meter radius of your makeshift pressure washer.

Save a little water from the bottle to rinse.

Blog Entries

Jonh, the car alarm one is a bug, Allah help you if you get one in the house, they will make you insane. I have only had maybe 4-5 in the house over the years but it usually ends with me standing on a chair and beating the rafters with a broom. In the house against a zinc roof it sounds like a Fire Alarm going off.

Well yesterday as I watched the show in the park I kept thinking it was escalating, but it was really winding down, turns out that sometime before I woke up a guy that works for me got stabbed. I saw him later and he was walking so guess he will live, he got lucky as they hit him in the ribs but looks like they missed all the vital parts. He was off to Bluefields Hospital when I saw him.

All day yesterday people were talking about the noise the crowd was making, funny (or not so funny) thing is they all live further away from the spot than the Police Station is. Police Station is less than 100 meters and in plain sight from where all this happened.

Circus never ends..
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

KWP is speaking some good sense, you have to get quicker, minute you feel anything wrong PURGE. Ate a piece of Chicken from a place I go all the time, not long before bed the other night, woke about 10, and said Oh No.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

A bug that makes a noise like that I've GOT to see.

Speaking of bad chicken, we went to the Segovia supermarket last night, the only place open, and their meat department had a bin of raw chicken, open, no sneeze guard, nuthin'. The bin was probably designed to be refrigerated, and to be used for displaying packaged items but improvisation is The Way so now it's the chicken department. It felt like about 80* in the place and flies were buzzing around. Thank God La Colonia's new store is a block away.

Blog Entries

You see this little Bug you will be amazed, a small cricket looking thing. The noise it makes is huge. First time I knocked one out of the rafters I stepped on it, kept beating, thinking no way it was the culprit.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

All the churches here in Leon, jodido, were packed to overflowing for Christmas eve mass. The crowds milling about Parques Central y La Merced were such a multitude, unlike any I'd seen, that it was impossible for us to walk our usual circuit with kids in tow and babies in buggies. Families all, elderly being helped, more folk in wheelchairs out than ever, all laughing together at nothing in particular, aglow with simple joy. Where did all these Nicas come from? I saw almost no foreigners. No drunks. There were the usual church fireworks - mortars & rockets - but I barely noticed, the buzz, the sheer spirit of the peaceful crowd was so overwhelming.

In brief, there was nothing newsworthy to report here.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Esteli's parque central was filled with people too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    You see this little Bug you will be amazed, a small cricket looking thing. The noise it makes is huge.
    It sounds like a cicada (chicharra - ask any Nica) which looks like a monster housefly. It's the season.

Crickets fiddle with their legs. Cicadas use their large wings - a much greater vibrating surface area (speaker), thus the remarkable volume.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    MetroNidazole (Flagyl) will fix the back end,,, and quickly. Available at any pharmacy. If you've got the clap you will fix two birds with one pill. I take 500 mg daily for three days.

Top end,,, drink two, two liter bottles of water for even more explosive results and a quick resolution. Make sure no one (no friends anyway) is within a two meter radius of your makeshift pressure washer.

Save a little water from the bottle to rinse.
    I ended up leaving a trail of vomit on the side of the street as I walked back from the Centro de Salud to my room. I took my antibiotic and chugged a liter of suero and then tried to nap. Less than 2 hours later, I had to run to the toilet to explosively regurgitate all of the water I'd drunk as well as a bit more of the meal from last night. So, even through I didn't know this helpful tip, I ended up doing it to myself anyway.

After this, I took another antibiotic to make up for the one that I most likely lost due to projectile vomit, and then sipped water for the rest of the day. I didn't vomit again.

Thanks for the tip(s). This is very useful and practical information for anyone spending any length of time in Nicaragua.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

The last time it hit me hard I could not keep even water down, I would sip a little now and then and about the time I got a pint down I would lose it. Found I had moderately better luck with Gatorade. I had starting getting concerned as I was slightly dehydrated to begin with having been out in the sun for days. Just kept sipping and usually tossing it all. Finally got better but I was starting to worry a little.

Was some stomach virus going around this side a few months back, thankfully I missed it. Friend on the Island ended up having to go to the Hospital and get put on an IV.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Very disappointed in TRN. Can't believe everyone let this pass by, must have been because it was Xmas Day . . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Very disappointed in TRN. Can't believe everyone let this pass by, ...
    That our Mr.Pirate knows what to take to treat the clap is not surprising in the least.

That he aimed his joke at drlemcor I found to be so far fetched as to be lame. Sorry to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    That our Mr.Pirate knows what to take to treat the clap is not surprising in the least.

That he aimed his joke at drlemcor I found to be so far fetched as to be lame. Sorry to disappoint.
    I'm choosing to take this as a compliment.
    Soy el chele mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post

Wasn't aimed at anyone. Just another application of the antibiotic mentioned.
    I was taking a low dose daily of Flagyl for quite some time to address the C-Diff I picked up at the nicest hospital in Boise,, after a surgery. I am one of lucky few who managed to beat it.
    Many face the dreaded "fecal transplant"

I don't think that there is much gonorrhea in Nicaragua, but chlamydia is endemic here. It's much less in your face (again,, no offense intended), especially for males, but potentially a very serious problem for women.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, and certainly not on Christmas.

I find the stomach troubles down here amusing,, if an aggravation. Lack of refrigeration is probably the biggest cause. I'm way past the point when they used to concern me. Recognizing the symptoms quickly, and just as quickly addressing them keeps the downtime to a minimum.

Unless you cook your own food, and well,, and do your own dishes, ,,,, Even then, the guy who handled the door handle ahead of you may not have washed HIS hands.

But again,, I am sorry if anyone was offended.

Blog Entries

I'm choosing to take this as a compliment.
    That was the way i saw it as well. Walking Man has to lay down occasionally,,,

I do a crazy cocktail of meds every 6 months or so, probably not so healthy but you never know. STDs are rampant here as well as the parasites.
    Ernie K Doe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast