Thread: The slow disintegration of the Nica Holiday tradi,tions in the north

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default The slow disintegration of the Nica Holiday tradi,tions in the north

So here it is - Entering Maria's 30th year up here, a few months away from our 25th wedding anniversary (27 together) , we sit just the two of us in the livingroom.

Oldest is with her boyfriend in the outskirts of Toronto, the middle boy with his girlfriend in a neighboring city, and the youngest held up in his room watching netflix while playing some game on his PC.

Gone are the noisy gatherings of drunkards at <insert this years hosting home here> and the 4 different styles of GP - Chicken stewed with potatoes, salads and fingerfoods out the wazoo and bottle upon bottle of hooch and beer. We held it about 6 or 7 times in the past 20 yrs.

The extended family has no central congregation point either. Two brothers have cut ties with their spouses, an arm of the family that cut ties , after some messy allegations a few years back, are not to be seen or seek'd. Next oldest sister has issues with both her children and her spouse and is rarely seen and will probably return "home" in 2016 with nothing more than a Canada Pension to show for it. Both (the above mentioned brothers) are back in Nica - One for a visit, one because of a LTD claim and fed up with his wife - The other (the youngest) reeling after a slide from home ownership to renting again. Maria's second oldest sister, now a Grandmother 4 times over, has her own gathering to be patriarch over and is little willing to offer her home to the rowdy-ness of the past gatherings.

It has been a gradual drift apart since the death of the patriarch, my mother-in law, Rosa in 2004. Family rarely connect now and when they do it is lightly, superficially, connecting in sporadic time frames. Not the constant contact of years ago when our phone was on line 3 to 5 hours a day with stories and gossip.

So here we sit watching Univision from times square carry on and on..

What will 2017 bring? Lord knows......

Maria has talked me in letting her quit work March 2018 (Her 52ndyear) so at least for one of us this the 2nd last winter new year.

We will see what facebook shows from the southern half of the family for their holiday gatherings..

Happy new years all...
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-01-2017 at 01:07 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: The slow disintegration of the Nica Holiday tradi,tions in the north

Similar story here, as the younger generation is smaller (no need to breed a family of farm hands), and as digital opium takes over (smartphones), the Great Gatherings dwindle.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The slow disintegration of the Nica Holiday tradi,tions in the north

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Similar story here, as the younger generation is smaller (no need to breed a family of farm hands), and as digital opium takes over (smartphones), the Great Gatherings dwindle.

Similar story here...My Mom came from a (farm) family of 12 kids, she had 4 kids, and I had 1.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Yes, I am always amused at the newbies who talk of the tight Nicaraguan families and the Patriarchal order of things. Reality can be a Fig Newton of your imagination, or at least some people's minds

Families decimated by war and emigration, too many babies and too much booze, and now mindless consumerism and wimmins lib. Best bet is to huddle close with the sane ones who are close at hand and a few good friends. Everyone in the family is divorced or heading there, with the exception of my step daughter.

Our family get togethers are frequent, and we have the big covered patio and the food budget so we see more people than most, but except for the evangelicals who spend some time with their wife every party is a grand Hen Party. I have adapted, I learned to show up and be the gracious host and then disappear into my room and play on the internet, wandering out occasionally to chat with ladies and play with the babies. My wife has learned to cook modern food, so every sopa is not the drudgery of "northern cuisine" that it used to be. But technology is catching up with me. At the daughter's bebechower, so many people were playing on their cell phones that my wife got mad and turned off the router. Ouch, the curmudgeon had to come out and chat.

I grew up in a matriarchal family but I never fully understood what a disaster it was till I came to know Nicaragua.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Don't kid yourself, Nicas are matriarchal. They just let the men think they run things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Don't kid yourself, Nicas are matriarchal. They just let the men think they run things.
    Don't kid yourself, most of the time the woman don't even let the men think they're running things.
    Soy el chele mono.

Kind of envious of you all and kind of glad the way ours is. Takes 2 days to see all of our family. 1 side for me, 2 sides for my girl. Mine is a small event but both sides of her family gatherings are quite large. I can't even count how many trips from the truck it took me to get all the toys that were given to my son inside. We are knee deep in cheap plastic over here. Keeps him happy tho and he is starting to put toys away now. We are house hunting and will probably buy with the idea of hosting family events. After her grandparents are no longer able to I suspect it will fall to us. Happy New Year!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    Don't kid yourself, most of the time the woman don't even let the men think they're running things.

My impression is that any country that has had 17 year old natural daughters of military commanders leading the troops after her father was killed isn't exactly heavily male dominated. She killed the British commander personally for killing her daddy. One thing about here is that it takes two adult incomes to make a family work most of the time, and often, she can make as much as he can. And if he's not working, he's a liability. Sexism here is framed around women being treacherous, which, indeed, some of them can be. No woman here seems to play dumb (North American chicks play dumb so often they forget they're not). I find the whole thing refreshing.