Thread: Electric Fence for Pigs

Default Electric Fence for Pigs

OK,, finally found all my electric fence stuff and got the fence built.

We used 1/2 rebar covered with 1/2 plastic water pipe, and mounted the electric fence insulators to that. The wire is actually a yellow tape with fine strands of interwoven SS wire. It snaps into the insulators, so was a breeze to string.

The fence was purposely made to be easy to pull up and move. The drill would be,, roll up the tape back onto the reel,, pull the plastic pipe with the mounted insulators off the rebar stakes, and pull the rebar stakes up.

The idea is to move the pigs around once a month or so.

The PLAN was good,, and we went and got the pigs, squealing at high volume,, and put them in the enclosure. They promptly ran off,, going over the wire,, jerking as they did from the shocks.

I went back to my "Everything You Need to Know About Raising Pigs" book and found that I have to teach the pigs what the electric fence is. They have to learn to respect it. So,, following the illustrations in the book,, we scattered a line of corn and semolina just inside the fence.

As the pigs came too close to the fence to get the food,,, and with their faces pointed at the tape,, they got shocked. I gotta give it to those pigs,,, they are fast learners!

We then built a temporary pig house, lined the floor with wood shavings, and brought their food over.

We got it all done just before it started raining again. Again.

We're going to lower the first tape a couple of inches,, and string a second about six or eight inches above the first. Those pigs are rooting fools, and will probably try to dig under the wire. The lower wire will make it tough to do without getting shocked. The upper wire will make it difficult to jump over.

I'm not impressed with the fence charger, and will get one with a much harder bite when I go back to the US next.

I'll add a pic as soon as I get it all finished.

Pigs were still in the enclosure this morning,, so the fence is working after a fashion. It started raining just as we finished the fence, rained steadily all night,, and continues to rain this morning. The muchachos say it's very unusual,, I just say that it sucks. I'm really sick of it.

I bought a quintal of coffee day before yesterday that I need to dry. I have over two Mz of corn in the field that I need to dry. Only the pigs seem to like the rain, frolicking gleefully in their new, greener home.

Aahhh to have the life of a pig, if only for a few months. Looking forward to their favorite treat of whey (suero, leftover liquid from cuajada) mixed with semolina, kitchen scraps too. Corn is pretty far down the list of preferences,, these are SOME spoiled pigs. I want to buy some more but haven't found any,,, Christmas,, but more,, New Year's Eve,, took it's toll on the pig population. What I really need to do is buy a bred sow, if I am going to get serious. They are so ugly!

I wanted to buy a couple of calves, teneritas, but the rain is keeping the pasture verdant and nobody will sell until the rain stops and things dry up.
    The stock puts on weight at no cost, and a heavier animal is worth more. Cash is tight for some, after Christmas, (a neighbor came by yesterday morning,, asking to borrow 15K cords) but bean prices are double what they were in July, so those who put in a second crop are cashing in.

Coffee money is there, both for the pickers and those who own the coffee, but prices are low: I bought some really nice coffee for 15 cords (45 cents the pound),, C$1500 for the quintal. This is the price being paid in Condega; it's a little less up here because of the transport costs.

In another month or two,, everyone will be tight,, coffee will be over,, and they will be facing the costs of planting in May. Everyone has beans, and corn, and a chicken now and then,, and the gaseosa is cheap.

This year has seen a lot of respiratory illness, especially the younger children. It's been colder and damper than I remember from previous years.

I'm starting to shop online for a small, efficient, pretty,, wood stove that I could haul down in one of my trips. Odd to think of needing heat in Nicaragua,, but it would sure be nice these cold mornings and evenings to sit in front of a wood stove.

Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 01-17-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Electric Fence for Pigs

(a neighbor came by yesterday morning,, asking to borrow 15K cords)
    Even before the 'No Pago' movement put a damper on the micro-prestamos business in Nicaragua, expats quickly learned that 'borrow' & 'loan' are euphemisms for 'give' & 'gift'. So did you give him the money? Considering it's a neighbor, how do you read the stakes in this transaction - threat or price of friendship or a question of trust?

All the technical advances you make on your farm are impressive. But I can't help but think that to your poor neighbors they're the equivalent of neon dollar signs lighting the night sky.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Well,, with great luck his son (who I suspect stole my dozen chickens some months back) borrowed a measly 100 cords from me a month or two ago. He borrowed the money early in the week and promised he's pay it back on Sunday.

I met him on the street in Condega a couple of weeks later, asked about the 100 cords, and he claimed he didn't have it,, but would stop by that afternoon with the equivalent in beans. Good thing I didn't wait dinner for those beans.

It wasn't a personal loan exactly,, I had Krisnia loan him the money from the farm account. I wanted her to learn the lesson,, and now she has this (albeit small) hole in the account.

So, when his father came calling I explained my poor luck in getting my loans paid back generally, and used the 100 cords his son borrowed as a specific example. It didn't slow him down. He had a wadded up escritura he wanted to give me as collateral (good luck with that one!!).

The father is quite a character, as are many here in the campo. It was early in the morning and he seemed surprisingly animated for such an early hour
    His son Roberto is never without a small bottle of guaro tucked into his jeans.

So,, no,, I didn't give him the money.

I've found these small loans like the 100 cords to his son are good vaccinations against requests for larger sums. I use them as an example of how I don't get paid back.

I still get touched once in a while: Krisnia's mother approached me right after Christmas,, seeking C$7000. She had bought a "solar" , or building lot, in Estelí for a small down payment and $80/month. She hadn't made the last three payments and was going to lose it. She had a week to come up with the money.

When "family" is involved, you are damned if you do,, and much worse off than damned, if you don't. So, I gave her the money. Supposedly I'm to be paid back from the proceeds of a small land sale in Jinotega owned by her husband and his brothers this March. The only fly in this ointment is, one of the brothers doesn't want to sell.

You're right, you just have to write it off as a gift,, and move on.

Luckily,, I don't have much family here. I didn't ask WHY Aracely didn't make the last three payments on her lot,, but I made it clear that there wouldn't be any further funds available until this loan was paid.

I think I've only had one loan re-paid. The Nica attitude is,, you don't repay voluntarily,, your feet have to be held to the fire, and even then,, you get dribbles. Who has time for that crap?

But,, within the family, you are expected to help out >>> IF YOU CAN.
    So,, any display of relative well-being,,, even the purchase of a big sack of rice or beans,, is an excuse for the rest of the family to aprovechar. And, aprovechar they will.

I'm convinced that this is why Nicas buy only tiny amounts of staples. Buying enough rice, beans and sugar to last a month would make more sense, and would save time and money over buying a tiny baggie full every day,, but if they have it on the shelf,, someone is going to try and borrow it. Too easy to take the 40 cords YOU were going to spend for the day's rice and beans and turn it into a bottle of guaro.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 01-17-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I've found these small loans like the 100 cords to his son are good vaccinations against requests for larger sums. I use them as an example of how I don't get paid back.
    Exactly what I was thinking also. Worth paying a bit out ahead of time so you don't have to loan out more later. Also has the added benefit that they avoid you.

Looking forward to the pics for the fence set-up.

How big is a quintal of coffee and how do you plan on drying it?

A quintal fits into one of the smaller bins,, which is where it is right now.

IF I could just get some sun,, I would just dry it spread out on black plastic, as you see most of the beneficios doing.

Fold the plastic back over it if it starts to rain.

purdy happy, my sil paid me the 100 bucks he borrowed a couple months ago. Business was slow, but now with aguinaldo and the coffee harvest he is working steady again. I guess that makes me 1:3 with loan repayments, probably excellent for Nic.
    Dicho Americano: "Lend money to yours friends and you lose your money and you lose your friends". Actually, after about age 25 I changed my type of friends and would never had such problems. But, then again, the people who pay back loans are the type that don't ask for them!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

With family,, it's tougher.
    You are kind of stuck,, at least for that first loan.

After that I guess you could say,,, "no more until you pay me back the first one"
    Keep the first one small.

The guy showing up looking for the $500 wasn't really a friend,, just a neighbor. It was rather presumptuous of him. My chicken pen is both locked at night, and lit and alarmed, so maybe the request for a loan was in response to that:

"If I can't steal chickens from the Gringo,, I have to find some other way to get his money."

I really don't get THAT many requests for loans. I had a guy stop me and ask me if I'd like to buy a cow and calf. I sent Dimas to negotiate,, and the guy was asking twice the reasonable value, so there is a little of that too. Six of one,, half dozen of the other. You can't fault a guy for trying.

The simple alarms really do work,, the campo Nicaraguans have some irrational fear of them. I use something I get from Harbor Freight,, generally $12 on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...tem-93068.html

Instructions for installing (check out the comments, buy some seeds

http://www.rollitup.org/t/all-about-...ensors.714940/

They DO have to be carefully placed so roaming dogs don't set them off, or you don't get any sleep.

Lights are an excellent deterrent too. The LED lights take so little juice. This one is available from PriceSmart,, uses only 32 watts, turns on automatically at dusk.

If I'm sounding paranoid,, I'm not,, just this ceaseless rain and cold is making me crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

If I'm sounding paranoid,, I'm not,, just this ceaseless rain and cold is making me crazy.
    Try over here, been raining since May 15th. I am climbing the walls.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Rollitup . . . Didn't know what I was clicking on with that link. Started laughing at first but that guys post was pretty good. Now I know what a Ripper is.

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Rollitup . . . Didn't know what I was clicking on with that link. Started laughing at first but that guys post was pretty good. Now I know what a Ripper is.

Didn't either.
    That stuff would grow like crazy where you are.

Yep wouldn't need a green house or hydroponics, it already is. I suspect it will be legal one day once the USA is done fighting it. Would be a nice boost for the local economy if you could get in early and get it shipped out.

Will need to do something once they cut all the palm oil trees down . . . http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7523851.html