Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

  1. #1

    Default FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    It's still cold and very damp in the mornings but about 9AM that all changes.

    The rain forest effect burns off about 8, still cold,, and an hour later the gorgeous sun hits the roof and warms everything. The sky was bright blue this morning without a cloud in sight. By ten AM everything is comfortable. We just have to get through the end of January, and it should turn. Hasn't rained more than a sprinkle in a couple of days,, and that in the afternoon.

    We have quite a bit of condensation on the underside of the roof during the very early morning,, drips and dampens the floor.
    I painted the underside of the zinc with a white anti-corrosive,, not in anticipation of this condensation, but just so there would be more reflectivity at night.

    Eventually we planned on insulating the roof and putting in some sort of ceiling.
    Now,, I don't know. Makes more sense to get a small woodstove that would burn part of the night. It wouldn't have to be a big one. Wood I have!!! In fact, I'm going to start a wood pile for next year. I'll cover it when it starts to rain. This stove claims 20" logs,, so I'll go 18" Probably need some type of splitter too.


    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...-QAaAmzA8P8HAQ


    Because all the lights are LED there is little heat generated in the house through the night. We stay warm with the electric blankets,, but I'm becoming convinced that this constant damp air is the source of much of the sickness around here.

    This is definitely live and learn country.
    Someone should write a book.

  2. #2
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    9,081
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    It's still cold and very damp in the mornings but about 9AM that all changes.

    The rain forest effect burns off about 8, still cold,, and an hour later the gorgeous sun hits the roof and warms everything. The sky was bright blue this morning without a cloud in sight. By ten AM everything is comfortable. We just have to get through the end of January, and it should turn. Hasn't rained more than a sprinkle in a couple of days,, and that in the afternoon.

    We have quite a bit of condensation on the underside of the roof during the very early morning,, drips and dampens the floor.
    I painted the underside of the zinc with a white anti-corrosive,, not in anticipation of this condensation, but just so there would be more reflectivity at night.

    Eventually we planned on insulating the roof and putting in some sort of ceiling.
    Now,, I don't know. Makes more sense to get a small woodstove that would burn part of the night. It wouldn't have to be a big one. Wood I have!!! In fact, I'm going to start a wood pile for next year. I'll cover it when it starts to rain. This stove claims 20" logs,, so I'll go 18" Probably need some type of splitter too.


    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...-QAaAmzA8P8HAQ


    Because all the lights are LED there is little heat generated in the house through the night. We stay warm with the electric blankets,, but I'm becoming convinced that this constant damp air is the source of much of the sickness around here.

    This is definitely live and learn country.
    Someone should write a book.
    Oh be honest.....this is just an excuse to buy another man toy!

    I have fond memories of drying my socks on such a stove at my grandparents farm.

    The stove was on the first floor and there was a hole (with register) in the ceiling above the stove which "heated" the second floor bedrooms where I slept with my uncles and cousins.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  3. #3
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    4,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Today is shaping up to be 2nd day of Sun here. I hope the rain is over.

    The condensation would be a problem if you add insulation or a ceiling, then you got Mold.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  4. #4

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Kicked on some fans for the first time in months in Esteli (850 meters). We are getting a sneak peak of the coming misery season of late summer. Plan is to spend spring in the deset Southwest, but no telling if we will get our ducks in a row for an extended trip. If not, its time to buy an ac for the bedroom.

    Currently on house arrest for some small projects. We are adding an overhead water tank at last, and trading in our chain link fence for a wall. As usual, these projects involve a moderate cost but a lot of babysitting. The mason who was supposed to start on the wall monday came in to work Friday and got a message that his crew all ran off to CR. ho hum, another day in paradise.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

  5. #5

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    We are adding an overhead water tank at last, and trading in our chain link fence for a wall.
    Can I inquire on prices and material?

  6. #6

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    We are keeping records so I should be able to get some numbers together. Seems the going rate on mdo on muros in Esteli is 1200-1500 cords a running meter with the vigas and pilares finished with arrenilla( metro linial terminado). MDO on unfinished walls is less than 1000 cords a meter. We are whimping out with only an 8 ft. wall, plus the serpentina, and I suspect we are paying the same as one would pay for a normal wall of 3M. When you see the humongous cost of these walls, you see why people who don't need air to breath build their houses into the walls.

    The big costs are, of coarse, in the piedra, cement, and rebar, Rebar on a wall should be the same as for a 2 story house because of the weight, plus the clay soil here is flaky.
    I'll post some good numbers in a couple weeks in the construction section. We are doing 3 projects at once, a small section of wall, a fancy porton with a door in a door, and a water tank. If ya gotta be on house arrest for weeks and have big piles of stuff all over the yard and street, you might as well go for a triple header.

    I'll post some decent numbers in the construction section within a couple weeks.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

  7. #7
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    4,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    We have had 3-4 days of dry weather, seems like a record. Yesterday morning was extremely cool. During the Night the Breeze has gotten stiff from the North, usually not a good sign for us. Thermometer says 74 this morning, yesterday morning it mas maybe mid to high 60's

    This Rainy Season will not soon be forgotten. Lot of Rough Weather and a way too close Hurricane.

    Yesterday with the Sun it got a little Hot, had to chuckle, soon as the Dry Season starts we will all be bawling about the Heat, been Cool so long everyone is getting used to it.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  8. #8

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    It was HOT yesterday afternoon. Corn is drying quickly, coffee I bought is dry.

    Sky is a bright blue with not a cloud in sight. It's like someone flipped a switch.
    Humidity has dropped from 84% to something in the 60's.

    Nights are still cool,, drop to the mid sixties,, but people in Estelí are already talking about air conditioners.

    The bus I was following down the hill yesterday was throwing up a cloud of dust mixed with its exhaust.
    That is always a sure sign of summer in Nicaragua


    The pigs turned over their big water tub to make a wallow. We have quite a bit of frijol that didn't get dried properly so I have been slow cooking it overnight in a crockpot and feeding it to them. I throw in whatever meat scraps and chicken bones I have, and they eat the concoction ,, well, like pigs.

    I've got some corn sprouting in a five gallon bucket with some molasses,, I'm curious to see how they will take to that. They are putting on the weight.

    We're picking up four liters of milk daily now,, I found a cream separator on EBAY from the Ukraine. Just have to get it down here, and I can make my own butter. I don't have the patience to skim the milk by hand.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2626761...&ul_noapp=true

  9. #9
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    4,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    The Cream Separators you can find in Big Agro Places.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  10. #10

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The Cream Separators you can find in Big Agro Places.

    Wow,,,
    Thank you!

    A lot easier than trying to get one from the Ukraine (maybe).

  11. #11
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    4,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Any of those Cow Towns up their should be easy, Saw some in Juigalpa other day.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  12. #12
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    4,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    If you have an excess of Milk, Cheese is not that hard to make (in the simplest forms) can be a mess but you can add Herbs, Veggies, etc and make some fine eating. Most of the locally available cheeses are very simple to make and you can make to your taste (without 10# of salt)...
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  13. #13
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    4,999
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Also if you can get unlimited Whey, WOW, that would be some nice Pork. I would love to raise 1 pig on that, corn, garden excess, mangoes, avocados, and such, no commercial ration.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  14. #14

    Default Re: FINALLY Some Decent Weather

    Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    I'll post some decent numbers in the construction section within a couple weeks.
    I do appreciate it!

Similar Threads

  1. Finally, Some Rain
    By KeyWestPirate in forum Nicaragua Scrapbook
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 07:09 PM
  2. Laptops for decent prices
    By AarontheGreat in forum Unclassified
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 04:51 PM
  3. Laptops for decent prices
    By AarontheGreat in forum Classified Ads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
  4. Could this finally be the one???
    By El Doc in forum Vamos a Volar!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 06:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!