Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coast History Made

Blog Entries

Default Coast History Made

1st Bus rolled into Bluefields this morning....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Coast History Made

From the unfinished road?

where and when did the bus originate?

Blog Entries

Seeing as it is a BlueBird, guessing it started it's Journey many years ago, in the good ole USA. Trip to Bluefields, probably Long and Strange.....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Coast man speaks truth.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Little Corn Tom;150714]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

[/QUOTE

Funny you added that. This morning in an email I told Friends, "the times they are a changing" when I told them of the bus.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The Bus leaves Bluefields at 6am, Driver said around 3pm arrival in MGA, 300 cords. Did not think to ask if it is daily yet or about the return. Guessing it is like the other buses this line runs so probably a 9pm departure from MGA, pretty sure that is what time their Rama bus runs.

Watched it pull away promptly at 6.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Gol darn it! This is nothing less than the opening of the Wild, Wild East to us Pacific Coast folk. Historic, indeed!

A detour into history: Doesn't the name Bluefields date back to the time that outpost and most of that Eastern territory was part of British Honduras? And wasn't it the Brits who brought so many African slaves to work those rich lands? And later Zelaya made it part of Nicaragua, but for killing a couple gringos there caused the Marines to land and soon the US took over governing Nicaragua for a bit. History, yes. Often we don't know what's going on until long after the dust settles, and even then, as Orwell noted, history has a way of getting rewritten.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

I forgot about that song! Wierd Al must have been to Nicaragua.

Will see how much the road starts to change things. Lots of problems in RAAN.

Seems there are already speeding complaints on the new road. "Drivers on the dirt road between bluefields and new guinea don't repetan the traffic signals complaint the population that lives near the via, who complain about excessive speed of the vehicles."

I thought Bluefields was named after the Pirate Blauvelt.

Blog Entries

That is a good looking bus!

took the bus back from Bluefields monday.
    long trip.
    I would say longer than the panga, but with the bus, there is no waiting to switch from bus to panga, or the reverse. so the whole trip was about the same time.
    Goes through the Wendelyn company which is the one that starts from Mercado Ivan Montenegro in Managua.
    not bad, its cheaper than the panga route. but i sure was glad to get off the bus when we rolled into managua.
    I used to think it would be fun to take the bus to Puerto Cabezas, but after the lengthy bluefields trip, it makes me think twice (or thrice) about that option.

Blog Entries

What are the seats like inside the bus?

4 per row....6 per row? benches? standing room only?

its the same bus that ive taken to Rama. Normal bus. the blue one. 1 seat for 2 people on each side of the bus.
    We actually had half the bus empty on the way back. so everyone spread out and got to lay down and sleep, cause the back half of the bus was empty.
    I think it may have been the first bus back actually, which i didnt know about but that probably explains why the bus wasnt full.

Blog Entries

Hell, you were probably on the Bus as I was talking to the Driver in front of it. Noticed there were lots of empty seats.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

How much of the road was paved? Last piece I read in END said something like 50KM was yet to be C'mented...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

very little of it was paved cement between Nueva Guinea and Bluefields. I expected more to be cemented. Some of it was paved ish dirt. But most was very similar to the road to Pearl Lagoon. It was hard ground, but lots of rocks and bumps, etc. Max speed of about 20-25 km/h

Also, the buses used to always stop in Santo Tomas at a little comedor, which was decent, but this one kept going until Juigalpa to some new comedor that just opened coincidentally the same day the buses started making the full trip. The food wasnt very good my friends said. I wasnt too hungry so i went across the street to the batido place, and the guy from the comedor didnt want me to go, he kept telling me that the bus stopped there, and that i should eat there, etc. A friend and I went across the street anyway and when i came back, he didnt want me to go in and join up with my friends unless i was gonna buy something.

British Honduras was a separate legal entity. The British empire was moving in to the rest of the atlantic coast thru a deal with the Kingdom of Mosquitia. conveniently run by a local black king. The US opposed this because it was a violation of the Monroe doctrine, the US policy opposing European monarchies encroaching on the new world. Zelaya's claim to fame was that he was the one to finally push Nic. sovereignty to the Atlantic, using the good offices of the US to help him negotiate with the British. Pesky Americans.

I understand the irony of it all, the atlantic coasters would have been much better off as British subjects, but You snooze, You lose. They lost that chance around 1900.
    US incursions into Nic were short lived and minor and what now would be called "peacekeeping missions" if done by anybody but the US.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Seems a couple weeks ago the bus broke down and people were stuck for hours.

And now . . .

Will see if they keep running the bus, some upset folks. https://www.facebook.com/NotiBluefields/

Imagine the wait till they find enough oxen and rope to tip it back up and reload the passengers...

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

Thank God, not the driver, no one was killed. Ten injured.

Ponder how to flip a new 40' bus on such a nice stretch of paved road. Exceedingly high speed, left the road with front right wheel in a ditch, I'd guess, . . . driver drunk, asleep or simply stupid.

Any passengers wanting to visit Bluefields for the first time have to see this as an omen. Voodoo?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Agreed, probably got that front tire off the road and over corrected to the left. I'm guessing inattention or fell asleep. If he was going so fast that he couldn't make the turn I suspect the accident would have been much worse.

Either way not a good start to a new bus route. Working all the kinks out the hard way.

Maybe running a bus line to Bluefields is bad luck . . .

https://www.facebook.com/NotiBluefie...80970618724556

Blog Entries

Notice how prescient Kevin's first post was..."1st Bus rolled into Bluefields this morning...."

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Seems a couple weeks ago the bus broke down and people were stuck for hours.

And now . . .

Will see if they keep running the bus, some upset folks. https://www.facebook.com/NotiBluefields/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast