Thread: La Cabana (day 3)

Default La Cabana (day 3)

I awoke on Sunday February 5th feeling better rested. It got cold with the fan on towards the morning, but I doubled up the sheets from both beds, but the extra pillow on my stomach, and covered my head; I was fine.

While I was trying to get to sleep, I heard plastic rustling from inside the cabin. I looked around several times with my key-chain LED. I couldn't place the noise, because every time I turned on my light, it stopped. I guessed that it was coming from the trash--which now had egg shells and the empty Maruchan cups.

Eventually, I managed to get my light on the culprit fast enough. A mouse was trying to get into my metal cup of oil. I got up, turned on the lights, and hung the oil in a plastic bag from a nail like the rest of my food. This stopped the worst of the rustling, but I heard the mouse in the trash closer to morning.

My only goal for this day was to take my camera out to the awesome beach that I had explored the day before without my camera. After breakfast and a few hours writing, I packed up and left the cabin to head to the beach. I was on the main road by the time I realized that I'd forgotten my hat. I figured that I'd be fine without it for one day. Word to the wise--if this happens to you, go back for your hat.

I found the beach nearly (but not quite) as amazing as it had been the day before. For one thing, I was walking the beach while the tide was in, so I had less beach, and the surf was too violent and erratic for me to wade through it for most of the beach. For another, there was a strange haze in the sky that obscured things in the distance--almost like smog...but it couldn't be smog in Nicaragua, right?

Even so, I believe that I got some great shots of the beach and the ocean and surfers and the sand bar. I don't believe that any of the photos do it justice, because to do it justice I'd need a panoramic photos that was interactive and allowed you to look up and to the sides. There is simply too much beauty to capture in a narrow rectangle.

The white jeep was back in the same spot in the middle of the beach with the camera man and the surfers. There were more surfers this time. I caught some of them as they were riding waves and in the tube and flipping through the air, but with my simple camera they look very small against the ocean. I've included some of them for you anyway. If you look close you can see them.

When I got to the sand bar, I couldn't go any farther down the coast, because at high tide, there wasn't any along the mangroves. Instead, I turned around and walked back to the pyramid thatched roof structure. I changed back into my shoes and socks on their steps and then walked down their drive to the main road.

I didn't know if it was some sort of private hotel, so I stayed out of sight the entire time. I heard a microbus coming and I hid off the side of the trail until it passed (carrying tourists). I also passed what looks like a helicopter landing sight surrounded by white rocks. When I hit the main road, I discovered that it isn't a private area, but that it's the main way to get to the beach from Aserradores. There's a little white sign with a arrow that says "Beach."

I got some fruit and the last of my food from the pulperia in Aserradores, and then I walked the road back to the cabin. I checked with Sandra to see if I needed to leave the key with her, and I asked if she'd be up around 5:30am--because I'd have to drop it off at this time to catch the first bus out at 5:40am. She told me that her daughter would be up at this time to get ready for school and that I could leave it with her.

I spent the rest of the day showering (twice), napping, trying to write in the oppressive heat, and sweating everywhere. I made a superior hash with more potatoes, an onion, and a couple of sunny side up eggs on top for dinner. That made me happy, but the seasoning made me thirsty. I had run through all of my purified water, so I switched to tap water to stay hydrated.

On a related note--I was telling KWP and Daddy-YO about how I usually wait about 6 months before I switch over from purified to tap water in order for my body to adjust. I told them in Spanish, and I said, "...por seis meses antes de tomar agua de la paja." They didn't understand me, so I repeated what I said making sure to speak clearly, and then they asked what "paja" was. It turns out that up north in Nicaragua they say "llave" to mean "tap" or refer to the spigot. I learned "paja" in the middle and southern parts of Nicaragua. I asked an old man in Chinandega about this when I got back, and he told me that "paja" is the word for shaping the leaves to catch rain and to drink from that the indigenous people used.

The power went out that night, and the heat didn't dissipate as much as it had the previous night. I ended up lying in my sweat, and this was made worse by having to cover my head with a sheet---since I no longer had a fan to keep the insects off me. My alarm went off at 5:30am, and I scrambled around to get dressed and to make sure that I had everything using nothing more than my key-chain LED to light my way.

I had to cut through the woods to get to the dirt road where Sandra lives, and I couldn't see well enough to make sure that I wasn't stepping on a snake, so I just trusted to luck and pushed through the monte. Sandra's daughter was awake. I passed off the keys and then walked down to the main road by the water tower. I met an old man who was waiting for the bus as well.

I peed behind a tree, caught the bus, and was in Chinandega by 7:30am. I got off before we crossed the bridge, because the bus stopped moving due to a controlled intersection and heavy traffic. I got back to my room, ate breakfast, and then let myself relax.

I overdid it with the sun. I was burned on my shoulders and head and legs and arms. Even a little bit of sun hurt me for the next couple of days. I was exhausted as well from all of the walking and swimming and sleepless nights and early mornings and rough bus rides, but I'm glad that I went. Aposentillo and Aserradores are must visit beaches for true afficcionados.

Thanks again for making this extended stay possible KWP. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Saludos!
    Soy el chele mono.

Default Re: La Cabana (day 3)

Here are some photos:
    Last edited by drlemcor; 02-10-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Soy el chele mono.

Here are some more (surfers):

Soy el chele mono.

more photos:

Soy el chele mono.

more photos:

Soy el chele mono.

The last of the photos:

Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

OK....I am lost in this thread.

Where exactly is it?

Beautiful beach .....the bungalow looks nice, what is it like inside? Amenities?

Just what is the huge cabana with the magnificent rafter/roof construction?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

The surf spot is called The Boom and is famous for breaking boards. The ceiling of the restaurant at Joe's is covered with broken surf boards.

It has an international following. It's amazing how well the surfers from France and Germany speak English.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Where exactly is it?
    I too wondered, so I looked on Google map. Aserradores is some 25 km due west of Chinandega, on a large estuarial bay along the west coast of Nicaragua. By road thru El Viejo it's some 40km (guessing the final stretch is unpaved).

Drlemcor was at Joe's Pjace http://nicaraguasurfhotel.com/ The luxury place he photographed (day 1) was http://www.marinapuestadelsol.com/. They dredged the channel to welcome large yachts (and tired narco sub operators?).
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    OK....I am lost in this thread.

Where exactly is it?

Beautiful beach .....the bungalow looks nice, what is it like inside? Amenities?

Just what is the huge cabana with the magnificent rafter/roof construction?
    You can reach it by taking the road the heads west from El Viejo and following that road to the coast. It hooks south near the end of the line.

If you favor bus travel (as I do), then you have a noon(ish) option from the merdadito (to the north of the central park) in Chinandega or a 3:00pm(ish) option from El Viejo. On the way back, there's a bus that leaves around 5:40am and another that leaves just before 7:00am. There are the only buses, and they run every day--except Sunday when only one bus runs...I can't remember which. The trip take about an hour and a half.

The cabin where I stayed had a fold out chair, three beds (although only two were made up), a gas stove, a tank of gas, pots, pans, plates, cups, silverware... I has ceiling fans, a table, 4 stools, a boom and a mop. Just outside on the porch it has a faucet over a lavendero. There is a plastic wrapped outdoor show off to the left over a trail of rocks (to avoid the mud when it rains I'm guessing), and a plastic wrapped outhouse off the the right along a similar rock trail.

I didn't look into or ask about the nicer spots at the Marina. I did look into the rooms at Joe's place. They have nice looking beds with clean linens, but I was most impressed with the bathrooms. Nice flushing toilet, a sink, and an actual shower with a sliding glass/or clear hard plastic door.

I haven't stayed at Joe's, but I probably will if I got back down there.

As for the huge cabana with the pyramid roof...I saw a couple sitting at a table and a waiter attending them as I was walking up to it, so I know they serve food. There are men's and women's restrooms on the back side of the building. So, I know for a sure it's a restaurant. Because it also has a pool, I guessed that it is also some sort of hotel, but I didn't ask.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    Because the cabin you stayed at was on Joe's Place's website, I assumed that's where you stayed. But I see now he was listing it for a friend. My bad.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    You can reach it by taking the road the heads west from El Viejo and following that road to the coast. It hooks south near the end of the line.

If you favor bus travel (as I do), then you have a noon(ish) option from the merdadito (to the north of the central park) in Chinandega or a 3:00pm(ish) option from El Viejo. On the way back, there's a bus that leaves around 5:40am and another that leaves just before 7:00am. There are the only buses, and they run every day--except Sunday when only one bus runs...I can't remember which. The trip take about an hour and a half.

The cabin where I stayed had a fold out chair, three beds (although only two were made up), a gas stove, a tank of gas, pots, pans, plates, cups, silverware... I has ceiling fans, a table, 4 stools, a boom and a mop. Just outside on the porch it has a faucet over a lavendero. There is a plastic wrapped outdoor show off to the left over a trail of rocks (to avoid the mud when it rains I'm guessing), and a plastic wrapped outhouse off the the right along a similar rock trail.

I didn't look into or ask about the nicer spots at the Marina. I did look into the rooms at Joe's place. They have nice looking beds with clean linens, but I was most impressed with the bathrooms. Nice flushing toilet, a sink, and an actual shower with a sliding glass/or clear hard plastic door.

As for the huge cabana with the pyramid roof...I saw a couple sitting at a table and a waiter attending them as I was walking up to it, so I know they serve food. There are men's and women's restrooms on the back side of the building. So, I know for a sure it's a restaurant. Because it also has a pool, I guessed that it is also some sort of hotel, but I didn't ask.

It (huge cabana) is part of the Marina. You have to order your food at the Marina (horribly expensive, I paid $53 for breakfast for three. Shame,, the place is always empty. Joe says it's just there to launder money.

Some more pics of the beach with the surfers in the water,,, if the site allows me to load pics to someone else's thread. The amazing thing about the beach is the total lack of people. Other than the surfers there is (almost) no one there.

This was Krisnia's first bikini. Look at the difference in her expressions with the shorts bottom and the bikini bottom. It took some coaxing and a deserted beach to get those shorts off.

If I were to go back,, I would stay at Joe's. Price isn't that much different, and Joe has a lot of amenities, good food,, fairly priced and ice cold beer. He's a nice guy too.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Because the cabin you stayed at was on Joe's Place's website, I assumed that's where you stayed. But I see now he was listing it for a friend. My bad.

Chris (cabin owner) did the website for Joe as well as his own,, so that's the connection. When I was there the first time Joe had the cabin rented out to some US surfers....

Joe's place is basic but clean and nice. His food is very good and reasonably priced. He is basically a dormitory type of place, but if you are three or more you can rent the whole dormitory, a combination of two double beds and a bunk bed,, and it's not that much money. He has quite a bit of this.

I enjoyed my time there and met some interesting people.

(Sheepishly--insert bleat here--admitting that this is how behind I am.) The photos of the surf make me happy. The hut-looking structure looks cool, as does the ridge of sand made by the surf. Impressed by your dedication, writing for hours straight, in oppressive heat even. And, as usual, I am enjoying your observant attention to detail. Liked your shadow-in-the-sand selfie and footprints un the sand behind you. Cool tall, skinny, flat cacti. I like the shots of the grovs of green trees and dark trunks with their shadows on the ground. And GORGEOUS red flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by songbird27 View Post
    Impressed by your dedication, writing for hours straight, in oppressive heat even.
    I am happiest when I get into a dedicated writing groove. This was one of those times, and I'm trying to back into one again now. Yes, the heat is oppressive. There are times that the heat makes it difficult to think...or even remain conscious.
    Soy el chele mono.