Thread: Greetings

Blog Entries

Default Greetings

Living on the Coast is a lot like Oklahoma, people are for the most part nice.

Rude to not greet people in the morning, 1 of the first things children here are taught is to say Good Morning.

This morning I was walking down the sidewalk before 6am, from 20 feet away I knew the 3 Nice looking Women blocking the sidewalk ahead of me were speaking Miskito. As I stepped into the street to pass and not disturb them I said Teetam Yamni (Good Morning), they went silent.

Walked about 10 steps, 1 said Bal Nada (come here). I turned and walked towards them. 1 was animated, I said Sap Bas (be calm/stand easy) her friends laughed.

My Miskito was quickly running out but I always try to keep something up my sleeve, and I had an Ace....

Before 6am I made 3 Women Smile and shake their Heads, using a Language I never knew existed before I moved here.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: Greetings

Miskitu aisisma ki? dia trabil!

Blog Entries

Too lazy to translate, My Miskito is usable, sure Indians (if they could read or write) would find it amusing.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

K has a way with the ladies. What ever happened to the smoothie girl?

I really need to work on my language skills, hand gestures will only get ya so far.

Blog Entries

Pleasant social greetings do make a difference in the quality of life. Here in the city few on the street say good morning. Some old folk do, and strangers first visiting. A lot of family life goes by on a little-need-be-said continuum. Coworkers greet one another at the start day. Clerks often (not always) greet customers.

There was one notable exception: Sr. Buenos-Dias-Buenos-Tardes who always greeted people in passing. And he walked all over the place. He was nuts, a harmless lunatic in Leon, known as the city of poetas & locos. And actually a pleasant & polite fellow, but he wore almost no clothes, often just ragged shorts (not inappropriate for this tropical climate). Rumor has it he was a professor at UNAN from a well-to-do family here.

There's another. Our little buddy, fondly known as the Bunksters. As we walk the streets with the little guy holding my hand, he'll say "Hola!" or "Adios!" (a common hello/good-bye in Nicaragua) to all sorts of people (not everyone), some of whom light up with big bright smiles, stop what they're doing and grab his hand, to make the greeting that much more personal. Some don't hear him. Many simply return the greeting with big smiles and continue on. A blonde-haired 2 yr old is not that common a sight here in Nicaragua, especially an out-going, friendly one. But even in the US, at the mall as we walked about while Mom shopped, he got plenty of surprised smiles and salutations in return from people he said "Hi!" to. But too many just didn't see or hear him, being into their own thing, on cell phones or plugged with earbuds. I'd like to think that our Bunksters got it from me, but it seems innate, part of his unique individuality. I suppose he'll outgrow it, depending on the environment he grows up in.

"Lord, let me live until I die." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Pleasant social greetings do make a difference in the quality of life. Here in the city few on the street say good morning. Some old folk do, and strangers first visiting. A lot of family life goes by on a little-need-be-said continuum. Coworkers greet one another at the start day. Clerks often (not always) greet customers.

There was one notable exception: Sr. Buenos-Dias-Buenos-Tardes who always greeted people in passing. And he walked all over the place. He was nuts, a harmless lunatic in Leon, known as the city of poetas & locos. And actually a pleasant & polite fellow, but he wore almost no clothes, often just ragged shorts (not inappropriate for this tropical climate). Rumor has it he was a professor at UNAN from a well-to-do family here.

And actually a pleasant & polite fellow, but he wore almost no clothes, often just ragged shorts (not inappropriate for this tropical climate).

Speaking of clothes,, has anyone seen the stark naked guy right before the rotonda coming from the north before turning towards the airport? He's dark brown in color,, including his , , , , I'm surprised it doesn't get burned.

Both times he was walking on the right shoulder ( him going north). When I say naked, I mean not even a hat.

If he's there the next time I go to Managua I'm going to stop and get his picture.

TRN needs the diversity.
    We've been pretty normal lately.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    TRN needs the diversity.
    We've been pretty normal lately.

I guess you mean "normal" like the above discussion of the color of a crazy mans pecker?

Breaking News....you heard it here first!!!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Reminds me of one time we were coming back from Jalapa or someplace and I decided to turn onto a dirt road and pursue my native plant project for a while. you never know what you may find in the middle of nowhere. Anyhow, we passed a barren field in the middle of nowhere and there was a naked man rheeming himself with a stick. Strangest thing I had seen all day. Asked my wife what he could possibly be doing and all she had to say was no mo dirt roads.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Asked my wife what he could possibly be doing and all she had to say was no mo dirt roads.
    LMAO!...
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

We once saw a naked man walking along the Pan American highway, back when it was common to see pedestrians and bicyclists on that road.

Blog Entries

On the Coast Courtesy is still King. You always say Good Morning, Good Evening, etc.. Among Creoles it is a Big Deal. I am pretty well known for not being the most sociable of people, but Greetings are guaranteed.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    K has a way with the ladies. What ever happened to the smoothie girl?
    My Sweet, Sweet Batido Mixer, long story.
    Ernie K Doe

My Sweet, Sweet Batido Mixer

Can I try that line on the wrong side,, or does it only work in the Carib?

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Reminds me of one time we were coming back from Jalapa or someplace and I decided to turn onto a dirt road and pursue my native plant project for a while. you never know what you may find in the middle of nowhere. Anyhow, we passed a barren field in the middle of nowhere and there was a naked man rheeming himself with a stick. Strangest thing I had seen all day. Asked my wife what he could possibly be doing and all she had to say was no mo dirt roads.

Maybe a severe shortage of TP in the area. Or, ????

An idle mind could speculate endlessly.
    Luckily, I have pigs and chickens to feed . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    My Sweet, Sweet Batido Mixer, long story.
    Think the National Police just picked up two Colombians in that hotel for drug running, caught one with $70k.

I like long stories . . . I'd much rather hear about the smoothie lady than naked mental guys.