Thread: yellow fever vacine

Default yellow fever vacine

https://ni.usembassy.gov/message-u-s...ers-nicaragua/

Looks like you need a shot now before you come back from Panama, in fact, 10 days before.

Good news is if you still have the card from a previous shot it is good for life now, not 10 years.

From the info we have, shot and card is only available in mga.
    Keep posted, the living pin cushion will report...

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Default Re: yellow fever vacine

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    https://ni.usembassy.gov/message-u-s...ers-nicaragua/

Looks like you need a shot now before you come back from Panama, in fact, 10 days before.

Good news is if you still have the card from a previous shot it is good for life now, not 10 years.

From the info we have, shot and card is only available in mga.
    Keep posted, the living pin cushion will report...

Is the shot free in Managua? Where, exactly does one get it??
    Those things are getting pricey in the US.

I had mine during the Cuban missile crisis,, in case we had to invade.
    Out of date,, but the reaction should be mild the second time around.

Yellow fever is a nasty way to go.

M needs to track it down thru minsa. More worried about days available than cost. Trips to mga are a pain'
    Current practice is that the shots are good for life, but you have to have the official yellow card. Mine is long gone.

ps-- I suspect this is mostly a thing because of the illegals trying to come up from Brazil but according to the Consulate it is the law.

Blog Entries

I read somewhere in the past week or so that the shots are only available on certain days and times In MGA. Will see if I can dig it up.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I read somewhere in the past week or so that the shots are only available on certain days and times In MGA.
    Free shots are available at Complejo Conchita Palacios, of the Ministerio de Salud (Minsa), on Monday & Thursday from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m. and from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
    http://www.laprensa.com.ni/2017/01/2...iebre-amarilla
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

have to have the official yellow card

Where do you get one here?
    I used to have one too,,, but I'd never find it now. I remember it as being pretty full... Mine dates back to the early 60's,, they handed out innoculations like gum drops back in those days.
    Thank God there was no Anthrax then

It comes with the shot.

Thank you . We will look into this next week. We were planning a Panama trip this month and a South America one later in the year, so we might as well get the shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Free shots are available at Complejo Conchita Palacios, of the Ministerio de Salud (Minsa), on Monday & Thursday from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m. and from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
    http://www.laprensa.com.ni/2017/01/2...iebre-amarilla

We made it to the clinic in mga. Google it, not hard to find. Roughly between Mayoreo and Metrocentro, as a crippled crow flies.

Here's the poop:
    1) I was given a Constancia (official letter) saying I am exempt from the shot. The box marked ver 59 years old" was checked. This will serve in Nic and probably any Spanish speaking country, and probably everywhere because they are all signed up to some agreement. The shots a dangerous so they don't give them to high risk people.

2) No tickie, no shotty. If you don't have a ticket at least 10 days away, you will not get a shot.

3) Panama-- they ask where you are going. If you say cd P. or one of the other low risk areas, they tell you no shot is required. If you say the Darien or other high-risk area, you get the shot, if you have the tickky. If you are passing thru Panama on the way here from South America, they will want the shot. Whether this is enforced by the airline or by the medical team at the gate in mga I don't know

4) If you say Colombia, you get the shot. One guy in the room was turned away for no boleto, they other guy was waiting for his shot.

25% of shot recipients get local pain, headaches, etc. A couple dozen per million get hospitalized or die. You can see the detains on CDCs website.

Incidentally, the front desk kept my passport and my wife's cedula until we reclaimed them on the way out.. No big deal, just their way of knowing who is in the facility. Same drill at a govmint library I went to once.

netnet, I'm clean, we can go to Panama and stay out of the jungle (I was thinking more of restaurants, myself). For S . America my wife will need the shot at least 10 days before the flight.

Had a great 10 days in cd P. flew back in to mga. The medical station between the plane and migracion had a big line because it was a flight from Panama.
    They looked at everyone's Travelers Statement. The asked my wife for her yf card, she replied that minsa said it wasn't needed for Cd P. The Nurse (?) said ok, wrote some illegible stuff on the card and wrote down our physical address in Esteli. Note also, we were not obviously sick. She didn't say anything to me, I guess cuz I'm such a perfect specimen of slightly graying health and vigor.

I suspect minsa in esteli will get our info, or at least a summary of travelers who went to P. After baggage, a muchacha collected these cards from everyone.

It will be at least fall before we go to S.A. I may just chose Chile because we can avoid both the shot and the visa.