Thread: Three Weeks Out -and LISTO

Default Three Weeks Out -and LISTO

So, I have everything I need.

A plan:
    Confine her to the concrete covered with a couple inches of woodshavings. Heat lamp for the piglets. It's chilly at night here. Gentamicin which I am going to inject as soon as she shows the impending signs of parturition, and a day after. Maybe some anti-inflammatory too.
    Iron shots for the piglets. I'm moving a couple of fluorescents over the concrete tomorrow so I can see what I'm doing

A vet who said I can call him.

I've read so many articles:

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/...ion-farrowing/

and watched so many YouTube videos that I feel like I know what I'm doing.

I had a long chat with Mariposa when I returned from Estelí this afternoon. Explained the plan. Introduced her to the quintal of special chow I bought for gestational mothers. She refused to eat it,, but she'll come around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Three Weeks Out -and LISTO

Sounds like you know what you are doing with all those big words.

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Sounds like you know what you are doing with all those big words.
    I have no idea what I'm doing. That was all stuff I read online.

But the sow is happy,, all 500 lbs of her.

Blog Entries

How did pigs manage to reproduce before humans came along?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post

By HMO - (Hog Managed Offspring)

Bovines got buy with high Cow Payments...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post

They did fine,, but nobody made a buck off them.

Now it's all about the almighty dollar. And pork in the US is a hard way to make that buck. Planets have to be in alignment: corn prices low, pork bellies high.
    Sow doesn't drop a large litter,, the boar is dog food. He's not suitable for human consumption. Six litters and she's gone too. Three years.
    At least you can eat HER.

I think that it is easier to profit here than the US. You don't have the enormous pork factories that can shave every penny. You don't have the property taxes (mine for 40 acres are $23). You don't have the labor costs and payroll taxes. You don't have refrigerated distribution (although TIP TOP has their refrigerated chicken trucks).
    Pork is actually more here than it is in the US.

Blog Entries

KWP,

Have you ever considered reading books, traveling, fishing, and relaxing?

Just sayin....
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Now it's all about the almighty dollar. And pork in the US is a hard way to make that buck. Planets have to be in alignment: corn prices low, pork bellies high.
    Sow doesn't drop a large litter,, the boar is dog food. He's not suitable for human consumption. Six litters and she's gone too. Three years. . . . . . At least you can eat HER.
    This is some pretty serious shit. Perhaps a little humor...?

One of the funniest comedy routines I ever heard was of two hogs rutting. From the introduction of the stud boar happening upon the voluptuous gilt sow not one intelligible word was said, just spot on imitations of pig grunts, snorts, squeals & 'ecstasy'. (KWP, I assume you filmed your babe in the act and plan to share.) The comedian was Pa Carter. I saw his performance live with a bunch of farmers who loved it. The kids thought it funny too, without the least idea what he was imitating. This was at the Carter Family Fold in Hiltons, VA (Appalachia), the reputed birthplace of Country Music. You'd hear top quality acoustic pickin' music in a sober, family setting so uncomfortable that damn near all get up to clog (including us) while musicians play. (Only Johnny Cash (June Carter's husband) was permitted to play electric, once.) Comedy was an afterthought, a filler between acts.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Agreed with LCT, nothing wrong with getting pig rich but hammocks and Tonas seem more enjoyable.

This is some pretty serious shit. Perhaps a little humor...?

Well.
    Pig shit is the foulest stuff I've smelled yet. Brings tears to your eyes. Maybe one reason people stay away from pigs. But,, so far so good: We use a five gallon bucket kept in the pen to accumulate the "regallos".

As CookShow testified,, the pigs amazingly go poo poo in the same place, so we pick it up (with a shovel!!) and put it in the five Gal bucket initially with a thin covering of wood shavings. It then gets worked into the compost pile at some point during the day. So the smell is gone.
    You know immediately when you enter the pen if she has been "active".

I hose her off every day,, she really looks forward to that,, and I douse her with buckets of water if the day is hot. So, she doesn't smell herself.

She is sharing the pen with a bunch of chickens at the moment. She's a messy eater, and if it were not for the chickens a lot of feed would be lost. They clean it up, happily picking it up where she knocks it out of her dish.

I'll try to get a pic of the sow eating with a ring of chickens perched on the rim of her feed dish. It's really cute.

I had to velcro shut her feed bin. She prefers it to her dish,, and figured how to slip her snout under one end of the cover and unsnap it. It's really not a problem except then the chickens get in there too. They don't have the same refined toilet habits as the sow and foul the feed.

The chickens go everywhere but that's not a problem as a thin layer of wood shavings, or a fast raking,, covers it and kills the smell. The chickens develop a personal smell as they get bigger but I can't smell it outside of the pen. At that point they are very close to meeting their maker.

The sow gets two liters of milk in the morning, and I supplement it with some of that CreC E powered milk from Dos Pinos in Costa Rica. It has fifteen different vitamins and minerals and two types of iron. It's for pregnant and lactating mothers as well as babies. It's no more money than the NIDO commonly used here, it may even be less. The CrecE goes into my bread too, recipe calls for two tablespoons of powered milk, but I don't know if the vitamins survive the heat of the baking process.

I've been warming the milk for her, morning are still chill,, and she really likes that. Nothing I didn't do for Krisnia --except the hosing off maybe--- but I really believe that Mariposa is more appreciative. I'm sure I see a hint of a smile on her snout from time to time.

She also gets ground up sugar cane daily for some roughage in her diet, and we cut pasture grass with the weed whacker for her, the other pigs, and the chickens as well.
    This sounds involved,, but it's not.

Javier has his coffee when he gets there at 7, then grabs the weed whacker and cuts a 2 quintal sized bag of grass before he starts on his other work. Some area ALWAYS needs cutting down, so it's two birds with one stone. In the morning the dew is still on the grass so it stays fresher longer. Sometime during the day he or Dimas or I then cut a few canes and run them through the picadora for the fresh ground cane (I munch on it myself).

You want a balanced diet,, but of course, you want them all to continue to eat and put the weight on. I want to try some molasses too,, there is a lot of quick energy there,, but will wait until after her farrowing. I'm afraid it might constipate her,, a serious complication when she starts to drop the piglets.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I never thought there was a smell that could actually take your breath away until we started our Friday journeys to our camp trailer that passes a 3 barn pig farm. Literally brought a tear to one's eye.

Up until a couple years ago when the pit was covered and the BioGas pulled off. Did not make it go away but dropped it a bit.

Then about 6 months I started going a new route to work which passes a Mushroom farm. I believe they have found a way to make Pig S#!t smell even worse.

PiG S#it is gold for Veggies - Liquid Gold...

You ever thought of making Silage with the surplus grass? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silage
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    I never thought there was a smell that could actually take your breath away until we started our Friday journeys to our camp trailer that passes a 3 barn pig farm. Literally brought a tear to one's eye.

Up until a couple years ago when the pit was covered and the BioGas pulled off. Did not make it go away but dropped it a bit.

Then about 6 months I started going a new route to work which passes a Mushroom farm. I believe they have found a way to make Pig S#!t smell even worse.

PiG S#it is gold for Veggies - Liquid Gold...

You ever thought of making Silage with the surplus grass? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silage

No, Thanks.
    I'll check it out. I see silage on the way to Managua,, on the right side, white plastic wrapper just like in the US.

I know that cows really like silage. Don't know about pigs.

Blog Entries

My mom, who grew up on a farm, says nothing smells worse than pea silage. I've never smelled it, myself.

I'm becoming convinced that as far as pigs go,, it's all about management and being smarter than they are.

I could never keep water in front of my sow,, she would bring bit and then tip the dish and try to wallow in it. These water nozzles are the solution.

Other pics: The house of Krisnia's betrothed,, rather, his father's house, new road I'm building to the lower cornfield. New chicks are doing so much better than the ones from December. Those are still stunted,, I think they might have got sick. Another great loaf of bread. I found that the bread does better if I bake in the afternoon. I like waking up to the smell of fresh bread, but the nights are still cool and the bread doesn't rise as much.

I'll re do these pics and load the rest. I ran out of battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Other pics: The house of Krisnia's betrothed,, rather, his father's house,
    I'm confused.
    Between nozzle, pig & nozzle, and the chicks, what I see is what looks like a pile of fecal matter on sawdust. A mistake? A metaphor?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    I'm confused.
    Between nozzle, pig & nozzle, and the chicks, what I see is what looks like a pile of fecal matter on sawdust. A mistake? A metaphor?

Please!

That was a pig turd on wood shavings!.. Very different from sawdust.
    I'm internet deprived,, very difficult to keep up. sleep deprived too.
    I wanted to rework the pictures, but this is the first time I've been on the internet since I posted.

Good News! The tower on top of El Fraile looks like it's finally going to go on-line.
    Guys were working on it the last two days, I could hear them talking (or yelling, rather,, one guy up on top installing the antennas,, other guy below).
    Once this happens I will have a killer signal.

I had someone come by to check out Mariposa when her due date came and went. It turns out that she is still two weeks out. I've been trying to milk her,, hey, what do I know? Something I read on-line. Guy says milk will dribble,, no help needed,, and her backside will be disgusting. He suggested that I put something in the pen that she can build a nest out of,, instinctive behavior. Either that or Xanax.

She has been progressively more pissy, catches me from time to time with a swing of her snout. Almost floors me.. She only does it when my back is to her.
    Typical pregnant woman in her last few weeks. Hates guys,, any guy.

She wants to bust anything up that she can get her teeth on. I hope I don't wind up like that guy in one of the Hannibal Lector stories,, eaten by a pig. Pigs are big meat eaters. She chewed up the bottom 2 x 4 of my piglet house,, AND ate the wood. She has been eating dirt,, dug a hole more than 18 inches to get through the wood shavings to the dirt below.

This is turning out to be a more difficult relationship than Krisnia . . .