Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No all packed - Part 4

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default No all packed - Part 4

So here it is, about a month before we lift off for another month in Niclandia.

Stories playing out

#1) SIL, who has been on LTD for the last 6 or 7 yrs, went down for a 3-month visit. First one in those 7 yrs I think. She completely misunderstood the 3rd bag rule (Quoted something like $300+) and left it behind - But being the good wife / soldier she only took the 2 bags with family related stuffs - Not her own - so she has been down there for almost 5 weeks with none of her own possessions .

#2 ) With respect #1, I have been badgered, to badger the airline to take her 3rd bad as a separate shipment. I politely refused, as it is a no win for sure.

#3) B/C of #1 and #2 we are now being badgered to take her left behind bag as part of our visit <sigh>

#4) We are there for Semana Santa - Chilo says last night "It would be nice to spend a couple days in SJDS for Samana Santa" . Me - you say that now - We could have arrangements set up in Jan - why wait to now - Anyways - time to poke around.

#5) Start a Nica will for Maria for the land. Hope this won't be needed for 50 years :-)

#6) I am going to get the slow wheels turning on my residence - So getting Police reports, copies of marriage certs et al all arranged - Will see if BIL boisterous claims of "2 weeks to make you a resedent, possibly even citizen" are true. I am betting it is all hot air- But hey what have I got to loose.

#7) What ever other family drama that is brewing - With 6 of the 8 surviving family members in country undoubtedly something will bubble up..

#8) So the subject header - So unlike the other 3 threads - Not one bag is packed yet - Not a stich. Oh wait - I am correcting myself on that - My Mom has actually crafted up a case for us to take and give away - Her partner of 35 years passed away in Dec and she is uncluttering the house. - I know some people would say he would be my step dad, but he was a crusty old Krout that was hard to get along with. I did kinda get along with him, but never really considered him a step dad. So in a way we are partially packed...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: No all packed - Part 4

Shhhh. If you keep posting this stuff the rubes will find out how expensive and hard it is to retire in Paradise!

2 weeks? It takes 2 weeks to find somebody to do one day of garden work!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Shhhh. If you keep posting this stuff the rubes will find out how expensive and hard it is to retire in Paradise!

2 weeks? It takes 2 weeks to find somebody to do one day of garden work!
    18 days - But yes - It is an ambitious schedule.

Chilo Celebrated her 51st yesterday - She has badgered me to let her stop work @ 52 - So 354 days from now she will be more able to go down for 2 or 3 munth bits to do things like start the compound - Get drawings submitted Yadda Yadda Yadda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    18 days - But yes - It is an ambitious schedule.

So 354 days from now she will be more able to go down for 2 or 3 munth bits to do things like start the compound - Get drawings submitted Yadda Yadda Yadda
    ....Ya think?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

#6) I am going to get the slow wheels turning on my residence - So getting Police reports, copies of marriage certs et al all arranged - Will see if BIL boisterous claims of "2 weeks to make you a resident, possibly even citizen" are true. I am betting it is all hot air- But hey what have I got to loose.
    Get ready for a runaround. Just helped a couple people with residency paperwork and it's convoluted. My recommendation is to speak with the office that handles the Apostille first. Get a cheat sheet from them of what exactly is needed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    ....Ya think?

Well it is 4 more yrs before I am done - So that is about right, 2020 :-) ...

Blog Entries

Rules can change - don't assume today's procedure will work in the future.

If your wife is Nica does she need residency?

As I understand it, your docs are only good for 6 months, won't do you any good for 3 years down the road?

Blog Entries

If your wife is Nica does she need residency?

As I understand it, your docs are only good for 6 months, won't do you any good for 3 years down the road?

Yea - I keep on telling them that. But it is getting easyer to just go with the flow now than argue - The one wild card in this one is buddy doing the work is not a Chele centric lawyer - He does Korean and Taiwanese business employees and students by the buckets - Something to do with all the Zona Franca .

For my wife, correct. While we will travel in and out on our Canuck passports, the celdula is what all of the bits are based upon, all under her maiden name - I am an afterthought :-) <still>

I said in 2015 to go down that road was pointless as it (the residency) would be just expired as I was winding down my 9 to 5 life..

My wife is the eldest daughter, doomed by birth and failure to leave the country to a life of doing the paperwork for all the other relatives. Sucks. Nicas go thru a lot of stuff, one had a typo on her birth cert that had to be fixed before she could get her Nica passport. She came up from CR for 3 weeks to do this, go figure, had to come back as it took many months. Another had slightly different names on passport and cedula, had to be fixed. It goes on and on.

Doing things the Nica way in Nicaland sounds like a great idea. But only if it works!

Blog Entries

Well papers are being dropped off tonight - I find it hard to believe anything will happen next week with it being SS, but the lady did not take my indifference as a way to back peddle.

From her, in short, the fact of a 10+ yr marriage with a clean police report is a "Get into jail free" card :-) . No muss, no fuss.

Will report back after Semana santa with the expected Manana manana

Blog Entries

So my litany of photos here - I know LCT hates da fazebook, but reposting here is a pain and typically the individual picture links break within 6 months or a year...

#1 - Our stuff... https://www.facebook.com/bill.blylev...=3&pnref=story

#2 is just a photographic belch of things and their priceses at MaxiPalis, Walmart and Sinsa.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4992714&type=1

I was really suprized to see tools going up in quality and down in price at Sinsa.

Blog Entries

So my litany of photos here - I know LCT hates da fazebook, but reposting here is a pain and typically the individual picture links break within 6 months or a year...

#1 - Our stuff... https://www.facebook.com/bill.blylev...=3&pnref=story

#2 is just a photographic belch of things and their priceses at MaxiPalis, Walmart and Sinsa.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4992714&type=1

I was really suprized to see tools going up in quality and down in price at Sinsa.

I agree and good to hear about Sinsa.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Actually, Link 1 does have a "No facebook account view" Option..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d8be3394cb

Blog Entries

Well papers are being dropped off tonight - I find it hard to believe anything will happen next week with it being SS, but the lady did not take my indifference as a way to back peddle.

From her, in short, the fact of a 10+ yr marriage with a clean police report is a "Get into jail free" card :-) . No muss, no fuss.

Will report back after Semana santa with the expected Manana manana
    I am told that I may be able to have my celdula photo taken Monday - Again - I am not certifying this as fact, just what I am being told... Winged Pigs anyone??

hmmmm.....there's fotos and there's fotos. One foto you supply with the application, the other foto they take when they take your money and fingerprints and print the foto on the cedula. Always wondered what the first foto was good for, economic stimulus me thinks.

Blog Entries

hmmmm.....there's fotos and there's fotos. One foto you supply with the application, the other foto they take when they take your money and fingerprints and print the foto on the cedula. Always wondered what the first foto was good for, economic stimulus me thinks.

Actually, no photo with the application - Passport Photocopy - Birth certificate Photocopy - Police Report photocopy - Marriage certificate photocopy - Chilo Celdula photocopy - Canadian Citizenship card Photocopy (Chilo From 1993) and both Passports (Canadian) Photocopy Both - Nothing translated, nothing notorised - You can imagine my skepticism.

The photo on Monday is supposed to be the real deal - Again - I am just a participant, not an advocate - And not a cent paid yet...
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 04-18-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Would be nice if it went that easy. Just helped some friends with theirs and it was convoluted. Completed correctly but still rejected several times and had to be argued and explained.

Some great pics. Thanks

"I am just a participant, not an advocate"

You have coined a classic, should be a sticky!

Blog Entries

#5) Start a Nica will for Maria for the land. Hope this won't be needed for 50 years :-)

#5 complete at 5 today - Nica "Testemento" was $100 - Needed 3 people (not family) to witness - We gave Celdula, Canadian Passport, My birth certificate and my passport.

Probably overkill, but it is filed and set.

My residency can proceed once a parallel lawer signs a type of release that Chilo's lawyer can proceed. Some sort of procedural formality - We go get 2 passport type photos tomorrow.

#5 complete at 5 today - Nica "Testemento" was $100 - Needed 3 people (not family) to witness - We gave Celdula, Canadian Passport, My birth certificate and my passport.

Probably overkill, but it is filed and set.

My residency can proceed once a parallel lawer signs a type of release that Chilo's lawyer can proceed. Some sort of procedural formality - We go get 2 passport type photos tomorrow.

I have a Nica will and it's kept in my lawyer's safe (ex-lawyer,, actually,, great honest person, but she's distant and expensive and doesn't speak any English. Very competent,, she saved me $5K when I bought the place by uncovering a gravamen attached ot the place).

It might help if I keel over unexpectedly in the cornfield. Or, might not! Keeled over, there would be a rush to harvest my corn (he doesn't need it anymore).

My personal feeling is,, as the sad day approaches, if you have the mental wherewithal left, you need to do the transfer of property via a registered escritura. We have NO laywers in the campo,, so that helps a lot, but an opportunistic neighbor could go to Condega and cook up something with some crooked lawyer (sorry for the redundancy) there.

Or it could just be some guy from Managua who drove by one afternoon and liked the look of the place, and his crooked lawyer, of course. That's the beauty of Nicaragua,, it's still the wild west.

In my case, it will just be people who will start moving in, planting crops.
    I've already had a bit of that.

A house in the city is simpler, of course, but in Nicaragua there are eyes EVERYWHERE, and not that many honest ways to make serious money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I have a Nica will and it's kept in my lawyer's safe .
    Actually, I asked that - So Chilo's will is 1) In her hand 2) in the layers hand and 3) in a central repository in Managua.

And like you state, it for unexpected passing, more so for when there are buildings and other assets involved.

Yeah, I need to do a will. The house has always been in both names and we are beneficiaries on each other's accounts, but better to have a lawyer wrap it all up The pickup is the only thing in my name only. My personal effects will be subject to the Nicaraguan Law of Property Evaporation as soon as I croak, hopefully not sooner. It would be a real pisser if somebody stole my bed and poncho liner and vertical fan before I was really dead yet.

All relatives have been informed that I should be buried face down so that the whole world can kiss my butt, but the Nica relatives find this distasteful or something. The American relatives understand the wisdom. Where the Nica relatives really get pissy is for my request to be buried in my old pickup, like a Viking King is his battle ship. Maybe I'll find a compromise and get buried with a battle axe or something cheaper than a pickup. Brought a rigging axe down this time in hold baggage, maybe that will be the puppy.
    Average life expectancy in my family is 70 years, but I'm trying to beat the average.

Yeah, I need to do a will. The house has always been in both names and we are beneficiaries on each other's accounts, but better to have a lawyer wrap it all up The pickup is the only thing in my name only. My personal effects will be subject to the Nicaraguan Law of Property Evaporation as soon as I croak, hopefully not sooner. It would be a real pisser if somebody stole my bed and poncho liner and vertical fan before I was really dead yet.

All relatives have been informed that I should be buried face down so that the whole world can kiss my butt, but the Nica relatives find this distasteful or something. The American relatives understand the wisdom. Where the Nica relatives really get pissy is for my request to be buried in my old pickup, like a Viking King is his battle ship. Maybe I'll find a compromise and get buried with a battle axe or something cheaper than a pickup. Brought a rigging axe down this time in hold baggage, maybe that will be the puppy.
    Average life expectancy in my family is 70 years, but I'm trying to beat the average.

There are always my pigs. Fast clean job no fuss. I would even donate some pork (harvested earlier) to the wake.

What do you weigh?

Blog Entries

#6) I am going to get the slow wheels turning on my residence - So getting Police reports, copies of marriage certs et al all arranged - Will see if BIL boisterous claims of "2 weeks to make you a resident, possibly even citizen" are true. I am betting it is all hot air- But hey what have I got to loose.
    Today the exorbitant sum of C$600 was paid to file papers for my Cedula - So no photo op this past Monday, but I am not surprised - 600 Cords is less than we spend on lottery at home every 2 or so months - So no real loss so far.

Next stop is Dec or Jan, either more then, or it will continue on Whatsapp .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast