Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

Managed to talk to Daniel this morning.

Jimmi will quote the floor of the 2nd floor this week to start this week as well. Jimmi does not do 2nd floor walls and ceilings so that will be subcontracted by him - I am still leaning to parged foam both for thermal transfer and actual mass (Heavy things high up in the air) - Really just depends on the price - If it is less than 5x standard brick then we will probably do it.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

So a twist on the untwist

We will be going back to the full 2nd floor depicted below from the Garage door to the back wall as per the Jan 23 post.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So ... A twist

I was looking to change the drawings as supplied by the archetect so that the 2nd floor was trussed with metal spans as per the Dec 12 post.

Well fast forward a month and a bit and we are bouncing back to cement. Apparently the approved drawings have cement trusses for the second and changing to steel is a real pain in the butt. Both from approvals, inspection (if they happen at all) and cost. Apparently we can increase the floor space from the original without issue, but changing to steel is a no no (as in opening a can of worms) - I'll see if Jimmy can beef up the re-bar in the trusses to give it a little more strength.

With all of this getting straight we should be mixing and pouring the 2nd floor by the beginning of Feb.

The viewing angle throws it off a bit, covered portion is 24 x 29 and the uncovered is 50 long and expands from 29 wide to 35 wide at the back.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My experience is the more you have under roof the sooner the better off you are. If you actually ever live here you will see how annoying and unhealthy the climate is, not to mention the zancudos.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    My experience is the more you have under roof the sooner the better off you are. If you actually ever live here you will see how annoying and unhealthy the climate is, not to mention the zancudos.

Yes,, roof everything. The sun is brutal, and then it rains. Concreto, piedrin to keep the lodo at bay, and tall walls to make it tough for the vagos.

If you build it,, they will come
    translates in Nicaragua to,

If you leave it out, they will steal it.

Blog Entries

Interesting surprise envelope from the land on the island yesterday

Looks like the property tax had a bit of a spike - From $119/yr it went up to $369/yr

Most of it is a road levy and the other bit was an education levy.

The "Road" (singular) up there is tar and aggregates so the extra $200 for roads maybe means we get black top :-)

There are no schools in the area so it must be bussing for the 10 or 12 kids who live up there.

With the suspension of travel restrictions, the sale of the camp trailer, and the good dip in lumber futures, it is a good time to start focusing up there now.

Blog Entries

Defund the Universities! That's my motto. Why vote to help young people with their "you are old and going to die anyway" mindset.

Blog Entries

The Steel and welder are supposed to arrive on site today.

Daniel ordered up the first 1/3 ish of the steel beams and Pralines along with a bunch of cut off wheels, welding rods, and rust paint etc etc. Better than getting a bunch of stuff delivered and it all going walking.

Welder is taking payments 45% up front 55% after it is done for labour. He asked C$27,000 for the 2 weeks which seems fair.

He should be done in 2 weeks.

Zink is a 15 day lead now so we had to drop $200 of the $2800 for the zink to hold the cement for the 2nd floor.

It will be $5700 for all of the steel for the floor of the 2nd floor save for the rebar in the cement.

Then about another $1800 for the cement and we will have a sealed first floor and a 2nd floor base ready for walls.

Cement is 340 cord a bag
    Zink $17 US ea
    Purlins are $21 ea

It will be a wash in that what we sold our camp trailer for will go straight down to pay for what is being done.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 07-26-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Zink is a 15 day lead now so we had to drop $200 of the $2800 for the zink to hold the cement for the 2nd floor.

Bunch of stuff is hard to get now, and lumber is really crappy.
    I was hoping that the rainy season would slow things down,, but so far in the north,, not much.
    Not much rain, and a lot of disposable income.

At least bricks and blocks are available again.

The Zin from FerroMax is really a good deal.
    Pre-Painted on both sides, it really stands up to the weather. And it's cut to your length.

Blog Entries

How much are cement blocks?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

22 cords in the north, less if you buy a large amount.

I bought 1000 bricks for 2.5 cords each,,, that was a load for the Ford.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    There are no blocks on this quote - It is only for the steel skeleton under/supporting the floor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    22 cords in the north, less if you buy a large amount.

I bought 1000 bricks for 2.5 cords each,,, that was a load for the Ford.

Gosh...that is what they were 10 years ago.....as I remember....lol.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

As important as the price is the quality.
    Some of the vendors will short the cement, and the block isn't of sufficient strength

Blog Entries

This is what they are doing this time - One is looking down the other looking up - The walls that are there already are removed in the CAD drawing to better show the steel. I wanted to have the Balcony (red out line at the top and the left in the B&W drawing ) but everyone has said it would be a city red flag - So we dropped it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gosh...that is what they were 10 years ago.....as I remember....lol.

Blocks have gone up a bit, I remember 18 five years ago.
    Block price is probably driven by the cost of cement.

But I remember the bricks being about the same.

Steel is up,,

Blog Entries

and 8x6x16 blocks come in different sizes. Best to buy all for the project at the same place/same time. They can be off by 1 cm or more between "brands". Never seen them labeled or marked "certified" but many claim they are.

Blog Entries

Ah yes - "Starting Monday" has become, as always, "the materials were delivered" (Friday)

Welding should start tomorrow and he thinks the skeleton will be ready for zinc (Floor forms) in two weeks.

The camp sale finalises tomorrow @ 2 - Just sitting down to type this as load #3 was brought back. Maybe one more load tomorrow morning.

Bringing two Cuban Cigars and a 1/2 bottle of 7yr FDC for the close out.

Once all of the credits for the year were tallied and the bills (selling fees taken by the park, hydro etc etc) We have $189 to pay.

Went for breakfast today - Country Boy. Country boy was started in the mid 90's by a Greek, Terry, who immigrated in the late 60's. He washed dishes and slung burgers in Toronto in the 70's and 80's. His restaurant started as one unit in a L shaped two story plaza- Grew to two units and then 3 - Eventually he bought the entire plaza!

We had a passing acquaintance over the last 25 yrs . He used to play Poker on Sunday nights in that Pub I typed about years ago, Molly Blooms.

There was a news piece just before C-19 started that it sold. Talking to the new owner today he said that Terry sold the entire shot (resturant and plaza) - He made out like a bandit I speculate considering have bad the last 20 months have been for the food biz.

The place was packed and our single platter (split betwixt the 2 of us) still had enough to pack a bunch for home $14 CDN - A little under 11 US - Before taxes and coffee of course.

Terry

Blog Entries

"before taxes and coffee" In AZ I noticed that, how to turn a $10 meal into a $15 bill. Plus the tip, which is a particularly American(?) neurosis.

I remember as a kid people joked about how we had a gas station on every corner in Los Angeles. Our neighbor had 3 of them, until the Negroes burned one down and he chose no to rebuild. Not so now, gas stations are mega affairs with 8-12 pumps and you may not be able to find one if you are not near a freeway ramp. I think restaurants will go the same way--super restaurants spaced far apart. Saw something on line that some now are charging cancelation fees if you don't show up and per person minimums if you do. I kinda enjoyed not going to a single restaurant for 9 months, go to few still.

Before the wuflu I went with a friend to the Country Corral, a chain buffet , in Kingman. After eating a full meal I told my friend that I was going to the desert bar, but I was going to discipline myself and only eat stuff that they didn't have in Nicaragua. He was surprised when I came back with a plate with 6 different pies and cakes.

Blog Entries

8-12 pumps? Look up Buc-ees, many of theirs have over 100 pumps. They are a tourist attraction, great food, great service, cleanest restrooms you will ever see.

People travel miles out of their way to visit 1, they started in Texas and I had used them a lot when I was on the road, now are going up all over, the new 1 in Daytona Beach has 110 pumps I think I read. The Buildings are huge.

www.buc-ees.com
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

"I remember as a kid people joked about how we had a gas station on every corner in Los Angeles"

Back when gas was 25 cents a gallon and people worked for a living. That was a long time ago.

Now it's fried chicken on every corner, ar least in South LA.
    And EBT cards to pay for it.
    The bus is free,, who need gas?

Blog Entries

Purlins are being painted now.

I wrote a while back on how the private water company was screwing them (The compound of 24 plots) around. About a year ago the private company just cut the water so the group just dug a pit and connected to the Enecal pipe . Free water for a year.

Last week Enecal agreed to supply water to our group of plots. The dig happened yesterday right in front of our front door. The main waterbox is close to our garage door. The meter will be placed using the through pipe we put in 2 yrs ago.It should be 500 cord. I asked BIL that he gets the bill delivered to be sure that our monthly total is zero.

Link to the guys digging the trench
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Ah getting back to the regular Bat Shit crazy world not the new world normal Bat Shit.

So the residents of the plot say "Yo Moi Pobre" and can not pay the 250 cord each to hook up to Enecal - So the 4 perceived "rich" ones are nominated to foot the bill.

C$1500 each

I said we need to make a sign for above the water box saying "Felecidadies pard to Aguita" <Names of the ones who paid>

BIL went to go pick up the cash we sent last Thursday - The bank said "we gots no cash for you" . Chilo called the RIA dealer - By the disjointed answer they gave Chilo thinks they played the same cash shell game they did 2 yrs ago buy using the funds to pay off something of their own just to deposit it to RIA a few days later - We paid the RIA agent on July 30 so it seems Very very plausible.

Next time we will just do it through RIA online or Xoom..

Blog Entries

In 2018 money got funny, no 1 had any cash WU, banks, etc. We were in middle of big project, moving money got hard.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    In 2018 money got funny, no 1 had any cash WU, banks, etc. We were in middle of big project, moving money got hard.
    Looks like the Latin food picked a payer who can only pay $400 at a time - Chilo will go to the retailer and either change to BanPro or get the cash back and I will do from home - Fees look cheaper from home.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    8-12 pumps? Look up Buc-ees, many of theirs have over 100 pumps. They are a tourist attraction, great food, great service, cleanest restrooms you will ever see.

People travel miles out of their way to visit 1, they started in Texas and I had used them a lot when I was on the road, now are going up all over, the new 1 in Daytona Beach has 110 pumps I think I read. The Buildings are huge.

www.buc-ees.com
    Best advertising road sign I ever did see "Buc-ees, #1 for #2" We would travel past that sign for years playing softball up in Houston or thereabouts. You will not believe the joy and fun 12 and 13 year old girls got out of repeating that sign, giggling about it, and using the phrase in any immagineable way. One of the teams pitchers told the blue one day "you are number one for number two" and he just looked at her askance and everyone just busted out laughing. Goddam blue sucked ass.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast