Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

Default Re: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

I thought it strange, but now I see the no-leach line design it is for support. Don't flush tp our it will plug up!

Your soil looks half ok, in my area it is all black clay and we have big footings on everything.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

Buttresses, I'm guessing. Like a medieval cathedral.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Don't flush tp our it will plug up!
    By that you mean the TP will just pile up at the pipe intlet over the years and eventually cause a pile up to the inlet pipe?
    i
    Even if it is yeasted up every couple months?
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 11-27-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Now it all becoming clear - I postulated wrong on the wings from each corner- Well now it is blindingly obvious. Those wings act as support for the lower section. Previously thinking that I had made a communication error in the depth. Now they will go down another course of blocks, using the top section of blocks wings as the retaining - Kinda brilliant actually.

Of course, I just realized I am footing the bill for their retaining wall with extra cement - But hey, they are being safe so good on them..

Blog Entries

Went to page 1 post 1 of this thread

To the east of this development is another of those cookie cutter developments called "Las Vagas" which had 3 houses in Nov 2015, Google maps now shows at least 2 more houses built.

This is now over 20 houses - No cobbled roads, no street lights and I am very doubtful sewers - but it is a bustling area now.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    By that you mean the TP will just pile up at the pipe intlet over the years and eventually cause a pile up to the inlet pipe?
    i
    Even if it is yeasted up every couple months?

TP is supposed to sink and decompose,, in the first chamber. Eventually you would need to pump it out,, maybe in 2050.
    I am kind of curious,, haven't looked in quite some time. I'll take a peek on my trip down in January., see if I can measure the solids depth

I bring down a box of RidX every trip,, have never seen it in Nicaragua. Put it in a little at a time,, flush it.
    We don't use chlorine in the washing machine. Although I am going to start to lightly chlorinate the water.
    We are going to use swimming pool floaters that take a 3" chlorine tablet.
    These will be put in the big Pila by the spring.

I figure the chlorine will have easily dissipated by the time the water reaches the house. It's a long way.
    We need more: maybe a big filter like for a swimming pool just for the house water,, at the house.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

I bring down a box of RidX every trip,,
    Get this.

A bit of googling got me to a forum, where some good ol' boys (Louisiana) just tore a strip off of ridix - There was a sub thread of throwing raw pork (Flesh only, no fat) flushed into the pit every couple 3 months to keep things "Digesting"

Some of them said Ridex in 80% sawdust.

I will not see the final depth and bottom surface with my eyes, but BIL 2 plots over arrive back on the 30th so he can take some shots of the bottom configuration.

To make a TP pile 10 foot high it is either going to be a hell of a party, or the rapture - Not sure which.

Blog Entries

"They" say a correctly designed septic system does not need Ridex. How many correctly designed and maintained septic systems are out there, probably not many. Our 66 year old system has had problems for 20 years. We put in two new drain fields and have, at times, had to have the tank pumped out every few months. We had a big tree removed whose roots were probably blocking the drain field, so that helped.

Blog Entries

And the last shots I will take, BIL lands tonight late, we leave early tomorrow - He will take some pictures of the next couple days for us.

And the bill for most of the hardware...

Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 11-28-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    "They" say a correctly designed septic system does not need Ridex. How many correctly designed and maintained septic systems are out there, probably not many. Our 66 year old system has had problems for 20 years. We put in two new drain fields and have, at times, had to have the tank pumped out every few months. We had a big tree removed whose roots were probably blocking the drain field, so that helped.

I think what you put into the septic tank has some bearing on its health.
    Chlorine in wash water probably kills off the helpful bacteria. The effluent is really scummy and plugs the holes in the leach lines.
    I noticed that yours does not have a bottom,, so "ashes to ashes,, dust to dust".

If you look on ebay or do some googling,, there are any number of add-on small aeration devices designed to change the nature of the bacteria, and this supposedly keeps the leach lines open, and your tank healthy.
    I have no experience,, but researched it a bit when I did my tank.

It just wouldn't work in Nicaragua,,, at least where I am
    The air has to be available pretty much continuously.
    That means the power has to be available pretty much continuously.

We have a resident sewer expert on the site,, he and I talked at some length about the air.
    It's what the big plants do.

I DO know that this system IS used for small sewage treatment plants.
    When I used to ski on the Colorado river,, some of the resorts and restaurants on the shore used systems like this.
    Really noisy. But there was no smell.
    All of those places are on permit from someone,, BLM and/or the Indians,, spending someone else's money.

I have no idea if the RidX works,, or not,, but what the hell?? It makes me feel good.

Totally off thread:
    I remember getting stopped once at a campground on Lake Mead on one of our trips,, my two young sons riding in front of me on a MC, by a suspiciously masculine park ranger.
    She made the boys get off and walk,, and >>> "by the way ,, where are your helmets? We enforce state laws too".

She didn't write me a ticket,, those federal tickets can be pricey.
    I got one many years ago for illegally camping on a beach at Point Reyes National Seashore.
    The ranger saw my smoke and hiked all the way out there just to give me a ticket. It's a long walk,, he was really bent.

It was worth it.
    Pristine, deserted beach,, no night lights,, waterfall from a bluff above our campsite,, plenty of driftwood for a fire.

We preferred the river for skiing, as there was generally a lot of wind being in the desert and all, and Lake Mead would really blow up.
    The river was more protected.
    Mead was good early morning, but early morning depended on whether we were in Las Vegas the night before.

I have a sketch of a two-compartment septic tank from Ken Kern's 1972 book "The Owner Built Home". That should be contemporaneous with today's Nicaraguan technology. I can't figure out how to attach it here. Instructions require a URL. Sketch is on my desktop. Anyhow, the sketch shows a level line from the inlet to the outlet. At the inlet, a TEE is attached with the straight thru section being vertical and the 90 degree inlet attached to the inlet pipe. The top of the TEE is open and the bottom has a 12" pipe attached (to prevent entry effluent from disturbing the scum layer) The same type of fittings are used at the wall to the second chamber and at the exit to the leach field, except these have a 16" pipe on the bottom. It should be noted that you should have a bottom on the tanks, otherwise the levels can fluctuate and allow solids into the second chamber and the leach field. This is tough to describe, so if you have any interest, email me at richardcobbs4@gmail.com and I should be able to email the sketch to you.

Blog Entries

Welcome to TRN!

tp is designed to decompose fairly rapidly. kleanex, papertowels, and plastic goods are not. If you do not have the trash can in the bathroom people will get used to throwing everything in the toilet for convenience. People in Nic are used to putting trash in the bathroom trash can so don't fix what isn't broke..
    bleach, sand from the washing machine, etc. are bad for the system but the come in small quantities and will not cause a failure for many many years. Flushing toxics like paint thinner down the toilet wlll cause problems quicker.

Septic systems are designed to be simple and work silently for years. On a small residential system that is properly designed I would not bother with additives of any sort. Worry about trash and toxic dumps and tree roots.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Good price and looks like good construction.

Also welcome Mr. Cobbs.

Blog Entries

Lets see if the Fazebook video sticks... This was today as the forming for the top wrapped up

https://www.facebook.com/bill.blylev...4801194561537/

And here is a pix of the final depth - Looks like almost 14' to me..

You might wonder about cave in, but the fellow said it is how it is done and others confirmed it - Time will tell I guess - The soil was very well compacted so I am not completely doubtful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dick cobbs 1 View Post
    The top of the TEE is open and the bottom has a 12" pipe attached (to prevent entry effluent from disturbing the scum layer) The same type of fittings are used at the wall to the second chamber and at the exit to the leach field,

Welcome

Leech fields seem to be the exception here. In this area, there seems to no substantial clay deposit it is all sand like soil and drains quite well. 3" of standing rainwater from (Pre hurricane) Nate percolated down within 24hrs from the surface.

KWP may chime in where put in a pit up in the hills where I think the soil is more clay like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    bleach, sand from the washing machine, etc. are bad for the system but the come in small quantities and will not cause a failure for many many years. Flushing toxics like paint thinner down the toilet wlll cause problems quicker.
    I am seriously thinking of a smaller tank solely for grey water. (Kitchen sinks/showers/washing machine. Maybe 6 x 6 by 7 or 8 deep.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123