Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

100% noticias talking big casualties in Masaya, how's it look from your view?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Apparently, city hall is burning now in Masaya - This may affect the fence permit possibly?

Hope that portland cures fast ...
    May also mean your land records just burned up, they used this trick before.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

A little news finally here in US:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/05...more-dead.html
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

hummmm, read about the alcadia substation in managua that was emptied of contents by Sandis and then burned shortly thereafter? Who got the goodies?
    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Finally! I'm glad to see that someone is.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

No Jews, no oil, located next to Niger, poor Nicaragua!

Fox Latino kicked the bucket last year. They were crap but at least they covered stuff a little. Sur toting the Cuban/Ortega party line. A mention in Al Jezeera, but they are tied up with Trump's new embassy opening which was moved up to coincide with the 70 th anniversary of the conquest of Palestine.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Aparntly all land records are with Courte Supreme in Managua - And we know that they are beyond reproach
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I think they are in the Registro, a different office than the Alcaldia. The one in Esteli partially burned years ago, people were told to bring in their kids and register them. That probably went well.

A lot of stuff was GPSed and digitized a few years ago.

Blog Entries

So the fence guys showed up last night - Continued to dark, then continued this morning - Still awaiting pix from BIL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pbI...ew?usp=sharing

Blog Entries

So the fence back and north end is done. Attached is a small video showing the inside of the compound.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tB...Y5eUpYVnQhT-KM

As you may guess the "House with 4 to 6 apartments" is on hold for at least a year - Probably 3.

The house was to come from the far wall you see back about 60 foot leaving 15' to the street. Now we have decided to finish the fence South end and 1/2 of the front facing fence. The remainder of the front fence will be zink for now. On the south end (where the BIL is recording from) we will build a single story 20x20 or 20x30 house. Once or if things return to some semblance of normal we will proceed with the apartment build.

Now I am thinking I will take another year of work (To the end of 2021) just to bulk up on cash a bit as I am guessing even after a return to some sort of rule of law Niclandia will be "adventure retirees" only and not the happy go lucky or senior seaking peace and the sun on the cheap.

Next planned visit in Nov - Just 2 weeks

Blog Entries

"...dale pues."

Well,, based on the idea that there is no such thing as bad publicity,, this "burp" did put Nicaragua on the map.

If (or , better,, when) Ortega leaves, everyone will fall ober themselves giving money to Nicaragua.

Ortega leaves with his hundreds of millions, Nicaragua picks up where it left off.

Win -win, except for the people who died, were beaten or otherwise traumatized, and their grieving families.

A year or two,, three or four to get back to where we were.

Blog Entries

A neighbor is still working on a 4 unit apartment a block from us. lotta folks don't know what to do, but a half built building serves nobody. Don't know what his funding is. Lotta room for money laundering here.

dicho americano--"screw me once, you are an A**hole, screw me twice, I am the A**hole".
    Nobody is ever going to give Nic anything unless they are bribed. Recovery unlikely, 5 year minimum. Lotta downside risk for a 20 year to never recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    A neighbor is still working on a 4 unit apartment a block from us. lotta folks don't know what to do, but a half built building serves nobody. Don't know what his funding is. Lotta room for money laundering here.

dicho americano--"screw me once, you are an A**hole, screw me twice, I am the A**hole".
    Nobody is ever going to give Nic anything unless they are bribed. Recovery unlikely, 5 year minimum. Lotta downside risk for a 20 year to never recovery.

I hear what you are saying,, but if the A-hole leaves, that leaves a country that ALMOST made it.
    Not really,, but that is how it will be packaged. As long as your neighbor accepts rent payment in Cordoba,, he will keep the apartments rented

Nicaragua will never be Costa Rica,, but the difference between points A and B still offer a lot of room for growth and investment. And cheap living for retirees. There are still a lot of really decent people in Nicaragua who are not complicit in the country's recent problems.

NOTHING can be built on Ortega's base. The corruption is endemic, was endemic among the old Sandi's,,

BUT, the money thing makes it look like the country will crater quickly without outside financing. The lenders will be the complicit in the continuation of a corrupt, abusive state if they give Ortega more money. At some level they must realize that.

STILL, the experience of Venezuela is sobering
    Nicaragua is Venezuela next year,, absent some lender bailout.
    Lender bailout is NOT going to happen as long as the Chamuka and Daniel are still running the country. Sure,, there is plenty of stolen Albanisa money around,, but who will want to invest it in a surefire disaster?
    Wouldn't it be better to hide the money for YOUR eventual exit?

If you have dollars you are going to be fine,, just like you would be fine in Venezuela through it all (except,, you probably would have been murdered for your pocket change by now).
    Keep your head down,, don't go out after dark,, maintain a greater level of security.

What anyone in the US who has the misfortune to live in a major city does routinely.

Venezuela has managed to hang on for five years. But it has a million + barrels of oil to provide goodies for the top 1% of the government and military. They are content. The rest of the population is starving,, either in- country, or on the streets of Peru, Colombia,, and Brazil.

Nicaragua does not have that oil cushion. They are quickly running out of dollars.

https://tradingeconomics.com/nicaragua/balance-of-trade

Based on the history of Venezuela devaluation,, Nicaragua could survive on funny Cordoba for a year,, but like Venezuela, it will spiral downhill quickly as the realization sets in, and shortages of imported goods appear.

If they follow my advice and print the new Cordoba notes on absorbent paper, with the pictures of Rosario and Daniel on opposing sides,, then the Cordoba will have some intrinsic value.
    Not the gold standard,, the TP standard

Maybe China will just buy the country outright from Ortega?
    It would give VendePatria a whole new meaning.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 08-25-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Maybe then the canal will finally be built.

Blog Entries

They pulled the canal out of their transportation projects, which is a nice way to say the chinaman couldn`t come up with the money. The Panama expansion is working and with the newer, bigger Bad Boy image funding for anything big will be difficult unless it is politically motivated. Did you hear about the German reporter who got kidnapped and robbed doing a story on the Swiss aid project that got robbed and overrun? The Swiss posture that they don`t play politics, but how about plain ole thievery? Poor Switzerland is going to have to dregg up their biggest white guilt dummy to cover this one up.

The Canal failure is probably why the Sandis got so teste with the students, that plus losing the silly lawsuit with CR over rio San Juan, the forest fire thing, looting social security and who knows what else. they could have just tear gasses them till they pucked and sent them home to mommy. Instead they crossed a line that can`t be undone. All or nothing, winner take all.

If they don`t find a sugar daddy quick, money laundering will be the growth industry.

Other than that, a lot of belt tightening is going to go on. With all the Haitiens and Venezuelans taking first dibs, nobady is going to want enough Nicas to save the economy. CR is asking proof of refugee status, Ecuador and Peru now require venozolanos to have passports instead of just cedulas, Spain is going to require yellow fever shots for people not coming from Yellow fever countries. Its going to get nasty out there.

PS- elections aren`t till 2021 and if the plurality thing is still in the constitution it could be a close race.

Blog Entries

If anti-sandis leave, the 2021 election is just a formality. Not that previos elections weren’t, they just won’t have to cheat next time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    If anti-sandis leave, the 2021 election is just a formality. Not that previos elections weren’t, they just won’t have to cheat next time.
    Don't worry John, the Nicas will fuck it up on their own by nominating 3-4 candidates to run against Ortega instead of one candidate, thereby splitting up the anti-Ortega vote and Ortega wins with 33 % again.

Blog Entries

One almost wishes that somebody would put severed horse heads in the beds of Liberale politicos. Like in the movies.
    Periodically, as needed, they are slow learners.

Same BS in AZ. Sherriff Joe is running in the Repubricrat primary to siphon votes from an established conservative.
    You have to excuse me, I am in mourning after reading all the good things people are saying about the late Senator McCain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    You have to excuse me, I am in mourning after reading all the good things people are saying about the late Senator McCain.
    Effing RINO....overplayed his hand and overstayed his welcome.

McCain was a valiant American hero who served the wishes of his constituents, whether we agreed with that or didn't it is what he did. I have always admired him greatly and think he was a tough SOB, I truly respected him above many Pol's, not that I follow American politics really. I just wished he had voted against Obamacare, but that was a set up to let the dying guy take the blame. The Republicans are all in now with Obamacare, they are full of shit as a Christmas turkey about opposing it. They fucking bunch of them got bought off. It is like Sam and Ralf the sheep dog and coyote.

Blog Entries

So back down below in the thread I was stating that Nov was going to be the next visit date - That did not happen but the 9th of Jan is next.

This is "compound wall build" task visit. It is the "Red" wall and 1/2 of the green wall we are doing this trip - The orange was done when Chilo was down during the troubles last may.

The red will have an 8x8 foot opening very close to the orange wall for car entrance.

The green wall will proceed from the red/green corner about 25 feet.

The space that is left in the green wall to allow the 40' containers to be squeezed in. If things go to plan we should have 2 sent down in 2019 (fingers crossed)

The curved corner will be figured out when there - We are 95% sure it will be an entrance door to the compound. As I mentioned previously, with the troubles we will be making the house at the red wall end rather than at the corner of the orange walls of the plot. Apartments will wait until things are really "normal".

We started buying building supplies - There is a returns auction once a month (mostly Lowes Canada as best I can tell) and I did pick up one of those fancy schmancy pull out faucets for the kitchen. I had to replace the sink in the house 2 yrs ago and did so with one of those high arched detachable hose ones - Chilo insisted on the same for down there - Now have to find a 10 to 12-inch deep sink to match. The auction price made it 1/2 of what it is new.

There was a really nice stove top (6 burner) that sold for 1/3 retail but it is still too far out to pick that up - We plan to buy an up north stove or stovetop that is nat gas, where a propane retro fit is available.

Have a box of left over Liton recepticals and switches as well - That will go down next as well.

So far, including the cost of land (and what we plan to spend on this trip) we are in for just under 12K US.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

You need a pink wall, and name it Floyd.

I’m told walls are cruel and racist and cost billions. And that you’re supposed to let everyone live on your land and have your stuff. I’m so confused.

Blog Entries

It is confusing John, and I understand your concerns. However we should all set an example like our Democrat Representatives and Senators do and let illegals live in our houses and garages. What is that you say? They don't let illegals live in their houses? But....but....

Blog Entries

They do live in their houses. In the maids’ quarters.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast