Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

Default Re: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    If anti-sandis leave, the 2021 election is just a formality. Not that previos elections weren’t, they just won’t have to cheat next time.
    Who runs in 2021?
    La Chamuka,, or the Reincarnation of Sandino?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

So BIL got the clean up crew hired and on the job - Plot leveled, Left over stones moved, Barb wire placed.

Now the 6" of fill is needed - We have a quote of just over $100 for the 6inches by 35 foot by 80ish foot.

Wire the money tomorrow.

Buddies who built the wall wanted too much for the entire job - Surprize surprize eh..

Video... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fdL...ew?usp=sharing
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Property tax was paid yesterday - C$575 from Oct 2014 to June 30 2019

The surveyors showed up - We did not need to pick them up like we were told - But they did just show up before lunch - Imagine that.

We will find out the cost for the permit (for the compound) within the next week, or month, or 3 months - I guess.

Blog Entries

So now on to the house...

Funny interpretation of events ... So I had thought I had heard "No need to submit plans for the fence - Just pay the fine" (C$500 to C$1000)

So I thought - OK now I need to hunker down and make the plans for the house with all official drawings and such - Going over the next steps with Chilo I got the following clarification..

" No need to submit plans for the House - Just build it and pay the fine when the house is done"

Well this is puzzling - but as she explained her conversation with the fellow behind the counter it makes no sence to do all of the planning bits as it is 10's of thousands of dollars and in the end things are not built to plans - So just build it and pay the fine when it is done.

She did mention that others have mentioned that if there are city employees who can get snotty and make you take it down, but you really have to try to piss them off.

So now off I go to do our 2 story 24 x 30ish foot covered end of the compound and we will see what time brings.

Blog Entries

Think of it as a tax, not a fine, and it’ll make more sense. It’s only semantics.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We just paid our city tax. It was about usd 5.00, for which we surely get usd 0.13 in services.

Trashman didn't come Sunday. It now seems there is more trash piling up than there are people in the neighborhood. Pampers really really suck, the dogs chew into them looking for precious pearls and then scatter them all over the street. City said their truck broke down. So send another one, right? In the middle of the night the little woman wakes up and tells me I should hang our trash from a tree. I usually do, but the trash guy doesn't do slip knots so I have to donate a new piece of string every week.
    Sweet dreams...

I don't know about house building now, it has probably changed in the last 10 years. 1 good thing now is it appears they are placing electric meters during construction. Before you had to finish the house before the fire dept would sign off on the meter.

If your curbs are not in, be very careful how to place your house as the new road may be higher or lower than the existing one. Probably higher as they cheap out their work by building the curbs and road on top of existing grade.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

I have a video (i'll see if I can save it to google drive and link here) showing how our 18" lift from center road grade really helped in the last down pours..

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    I have a video (i'll see if I can save it to google drive and link here) showing how our 18" lift from center road grade really helped in the last down pours..
    For the price of fill I don't see why everyone is not up a foot or two. Even on my slope I have drainage everywhere.
    For the most part I use 4" tubo and drill my own holes. Tubo with holes is probably available in MGA,, but not in the north

This goes into a French drain filled with the local piedrin. I've seen grave ( 3/4 ) too, it would work better,, but again, not here. Some 12 " heavy tar paper would be nice to keep the tubo from filling with roots, but I've never seen that here

It works well but only if I supervise the trench digging to get a proper gradient. This idea of a necessary slope for drainage is beyond the local ken

Blog Entries

About 0m:40s is looking into our compound..

You can see what my BIL has to deal with on his front porch (the first 30 seconds)

Video
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 06-11-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries

I put in 4 inch pipe to drain but later on the lower part of the lot I discovered 6 inch pipe and that is much better. (2) 6 inch pipes works on all but the worst rains. I would love to tear out the 4 inch and replace it, but it would involve cutting too much concrete.

Much of our problem stems from Sandismo, the developer never put in the drains for the lotification and Marena won't touch him because he is connected. Kinda reminds you of the scenes in the Godfather where somebody became a Made Man. A group of home owners went to a lawyer recently who provided us with some information but said it would not be rentable for her to take a case against a gran cacique sandinsta. Our lawyer is supposed to be a vandalica, so my wife doesn't want to go to her because she would not have fair access to the courts. Same deal on getting our road graded. A major owner in the area is a vandalico so we get no city services to spite him. A couple years ago he sprung for road maintenance but he is not doing it every year. I have gone to sjds and wilwili this year and the worst roads I faced were in the 3 blocks getting out of my neighborhood!

We also added a custom metal gutter on the front of the house with a 4 inch pipe to the street. We need another one on the rear of the house but it will be harder to plumb it to the street.

Blog Entries

Interesting twist...

So Chilo has known Dona Coco for over 30 yrs. She and Don Alfonso arrived about the same time as Edwardo (Now back in Canada for a short stint to get his CPP and other things in order) in the early 80's . Dona Coco was very close to MIL Dona Rosa and was a fixture in our place for most of the 90's and early 00's for visits.

Don Alfonso passed away last year on their last return to Niclandia. Dona Coco came back for the winter as all her children, grand children and GG children are up here. But she had made arrangements for a return trip this year, open ticket, purchasing a matching ticket for a lady who said she can help get through the grind of flying there and back.
    Well that lady has now reneged.

Dona Coco contacted Chilo to see if she if she wanted to fill the roll of helper for the flight there and back (no other ties for the approx 1.5 month stay) So far it looks like a go - Will try to set it for Oct/ Nov so I can tag along for the last 10 days to clean up the build.

So now pitter patter, lets get at 'er for the actual house layout (29' x 24')

Your residencia has really filled up. Why not sell and start over with better drainage.

A lot on that bench overlooking the Estelí lights on the road to Jinotega??

Blog Entries

A lot of work to sell and move, and if I move again it will be to somewhere nice. Not ready to go back to the US to die, not ready to change one pueblo bajo for another.

Our neighborhood has not filled up, given it has been here for 10 years. Many of the houses you see are not occupied, several have never been occupied. It is the same phenomena you see in the US--people want to get out of the filth and squalor of downtown only to see the boredom of suburbia, plus mud and zancudos.

Neighbor with the "flying bandits" house says he is not going to return to Nic from the US so he is selling, another neighbor is looking at a house in Managua for half the price of what they paid in Esteli, another complaining about infiltration into their house from the charco.

Latest plan is for each neighbor who is willing to chip in 1000 cords to fill the potholes with balastre. During the rainy season the rocks will get pushed into the mud to give a more uniform surface. Best quick fix, but if you do this enough the road just gets higher and higher and the properties get farther in the hole. There is no substitute for good urban planning and competent local government. Esteli is a case study of working today to create a worse tomorrow. Onward to more victories.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345