Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Plot thickens, or the plot thins

So all of the "Stuffs" arrived last Tuesday and they got at it Wed.

The flow through blocks will be set up like the 5 on a dice for each of the 8' spaces between vertical columns on the fence.

Looks like the compound has commissioned a private security (the yellow hut) the hut is right between the boulevard and out garage door...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Daniel sent some shots of how far they got last week.

Blog Entries

Apparently Jimmy "Tiene la Cagadera" on Tuesday and BIL told him not to come by for the rest of the week.

Blog Entries

So it looks like Jimmi has recovered from La Cagadera .. Wall side #1 almost done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So it looks like Jimmi has recovered from La Cagadera .. Wall side #1 almost done.

Did he have an easy case, or something more difficult ? It's still, 95% recover, 5% get go into the hospital, 2% die.

The numbers change a bit, depending on demographic.

Arizona had 79 deaths day before,, but 57 were a result of re-classifying death certificates that were submitted on the same day. Some of the death certificates dated from April. You didn't hear that part on the news last night. Even ABC picked up on the "spike in deaths" in Arizona.

You know that these people HAVE the details,, they just choose what to report to support their agenda.

Arizona had 27 yesterday, Texas, another "hot spot" had 9. The DIMs on their knees praying to a God they don't believe in didn't work for Oklahoma,, the state only had 3 deaths yesterday, and a paltry 95 per million ongoing.

Compare that to NY's 1611 per million.

Good time to visit Granada:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Did he have an easy case, or something more difficult ? It's still, 95% recover, 5% get go into the hospital, 2% die.

The numbers change a bit, depending on demographic.

If it was the " C- Word" it would have been his second go around - He had it bad, flat on his ass bad - almost 4 weeks ago now.

Blog Entries

Got news this AM that Daniel has pneumonia

He being pumped with antibiotics at home now.

Blog Entries

The back wall is done and Chilo has her Nancite trees.

Blog Entries

BIL sent a video that shows the back yard fence coming along.

Some cut and pasted text.

What you see here is a 360 deg view of the back lot of the plot. in 3 or 4 years we will have 4 or 5 apartments here. The time zero is the back wall, then side wall then the wall to the street with the 2nd Garage door then our house back wall. The growth you see is 4 months since last cleaning.

Video

Blog Entries

So this is what 600cord gets you for drawings

Very nicely done as well

They print 11x16 very nice and I guess they could go to a E sheet if needed

If the most esteemed Mister Jonh would like a copy of the PDF I can send them, but not sure on your email these days..

A pesky nephew who only bothers me for cash, got a hold of me Sunday - He needs $100 and gave me his ID number to send western Union.

I said there is a shovel and 9 bougainvillea in Masaya that you can dig in and I will give you $75 - He actually showed up at 6:30 today and started but then was complaining how it was too hard, needed two days and would need to call over some friends.

I told him I planted this stuff for 20 years and that was BS - I could plant all 9 in 2 hours and he was getting a real sweat deal - Also told him to take the job and do it or Daniel will give him $10 and he is not to contact me ever again.

He said he will finish the job. Lets see what happens.

Daniel thinks I should have never have offered the job, but hey I'll give him one chance.

" . . I told him I planted this stuff for 20 years and that was BS - I could plant all 9 in 2 hours and he was getting a real sweat deal - Also told him to take the job and do it or Daniel will give him $10 and he is not to contact me ever again. ..."

Like the guy at the freeway off ramp with the sign,,, Will Work for Food

Nice looking drawings. I need something like that to keep me on track.

Blog Entries

The drawings are already helping out

One last "Mini" job for the front door and garage door. This will finish up the perimeter fence at 109"

As there were elevation drawings (For the fence) were to scale I could merge two parts to one - Throw them into paint and mark them up. The right is the Garage door - THe left is the entrence door - The entrance door (#2 to #3) is off at a 45deg to the garage door (#2 to #1) .

The next "Big" job is the wall to the crapper and 4 support columns for the second floor in the eastern half of the shell.

Once that is done it is time to move to the 2nd floor - floor.

Blog Entries

Giovani eventually finished the work and it looks like (from the pictures) it was an OK job - My internet is at the data package from our cell provider so not sure if I can attach the photo.

Funny thing about the job though.

Background #1 - Last summer I found a riding lawn mower by the side of the road for free. I pulled it home and documented the head gasket replacement and general service on da fazebook. Well Giovani naturally assumed I had sent that lawn tractor down to Masaya, and not that I had sold it for $300 bucks. So he complained that he had to cut the grass with a Machette. Next he complained about the spikes of the bouganvilla . I just ignored the complaints and (FB) calls.

He tried to duck out before watering the last 3 , well he was going to water them with a 1/2 qt bowl , but BIL said now 5 gal pail each plant.

Daniel arranged with the security guard to water the trees for the next few weeks for 100 cord a week.

Once the front entrence is done we go great guns to get floor 1 complete for our (Hopeful) visit Jan Feb to start floor 2.

Just a picture of a dug hole here - Photos of the planted trees is on Chilo's Whatsapp.

Mind you I think Jan/Feb visit possibility is still 50/50, thinking Nicaragua may be a limited travel destination out to Samana Santa next year.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 08-02-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Mind you I think Jan/Feb visit possibility is still 50/50, thinking Nicaragua may be a limited travel destination out to Semana Santa next year.

You don't think that the vaccine will be a game changer ?

They are manufacturing tens of millions of doses as we speak, as part of The Donald's Warp Speed initiative. Moderna should hit first, as early as October, and we have 300 million doses purchased from Astra Zeneca ($ 1.2 billion buy) that should be ready in early 2021.

Even if Sleepy Joe is elected in November, the Dems won't be able to "social justice" the pooch until Inauguration 2021.

Enough time for everyone to be vaccinated.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

And something to warm Daddy-Yo's heart:

The Bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine was developed in the early 1900s as a protection against tuberculosis. The Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Australia is
    conducting a Phase III trial, and several other trials are underway to see if the vaccine partly protects against the coronavirus.

It's going to be weird if they find that we had a vaccine all the time.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 08-02-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Blog Entries

You don't think that the vaccine will be a game changer ?

2nd and 3rd order artefacts of the actual ailment are not yet fully understood - Why would we think they could understand 2nd and 3rd order artefacts of the actual cure any faster.

Blog Entries

And something to warm Daddy-Yo's heart: The Bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine . . . The Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Australia is conducting a Phase III trial, ... to see if the vaccine partly protects against the coronavirus. It's going to be weird if they find that we had a vaccine all the time.
    That horse was D.O.A. As soon as they said it was "cheap and safe." It's at the bottom of NYT's list for a reason. That it showed encouraging correlations with controlling the viral spread and may be the reason why Asia's death rates are so low, that's all irrelevant . Like hydroxychloroquine, it's a politically incorrect med.

While we wait for a vaccine (Waiting for Godot?), seeing the world turn inside out & upside down, and hearing more convincing evidence that this coronavirus that came from a Chinese lab is not natural, but man-modified, I've come to believe that I'm living through the peaceful conquest of America. The sheer countrywide incompetence of the USA is staggering. It'll take years to play out, but China has plans for the world. America can't even fix its old roads, bridges and tunnels. Or maybe I just suffer a mental fog from bouts with covid-19? Or too many ice cold Victorias?
    2nd and 3rd order artifacts of the actual ailment are not yet fully understood
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...arm-scientists
    https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...-everyone-else
    Can't say that I ever really got it. Get out & around a lot in Leon, in & out of Managua, try to mask-up, but if I feel a throat tickle coming on, I'll pop half a chloroquine + zinc before bed. Damned if I know if that cheap shit really works. But being a year younger than the Pirate, which puts us both on the virus' hit list, and me with a 6-yr-old son, I feel I should do something.

Blog Entries

So it looks like Giovani went blathering on to the security guard. He wants 300 cord to water each week.

Daniel said he will just water a bowl full every day.

I told him it is really only needed every day it done not rain for maybe two weeks.

Too bad for the guard. He could have had an easy 100 cord for 30 min work. But just like Giovani they are just looking for the quick hustle to get the next quick hustle.

Sneaking up on 60 weeks until we split time and wondering coping mechanisms for the insanity for stays over 30 days :

Blog Entries

Oh this is rich - So 1) It appears Giovani hired a local kid to do the last 2 or 3 hours of work - 2) He unfriended me after he was paid. 3) Giovani did not make sure that the kid did not run away with the tools.

Daniel got the tools back.

The punk is blocked - I almost think it was worth the $100 (CDN) to get him off the pester list for good...

Now on to the front door

Blog Entries

Probably the best advice we got from our builder (Jimmi) is the raise our grade by 1 foot.

Here is 8" of water on our street, which is still about 8" below our garage door sill after following his direction. It cost us about $100 including fill, transport and smoothing...

It was very good advice indeed (Our place is to the right of this photo)

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my neighborhood people bring in as many as (10) 12 meter trucks of fill per little 10 x 21M lot. Wait till you get a wet year, the amount of water is unbelievable. One extra problem, the city can come in later and lay the curbs on grade (not dug in)with the crown of the road 1 ft. higher than grade. That leaves you one foot in the hole.

Relatives have a lot in the neighborhood. I filled it in for them to 1 foot above the curb and told them if I built a house there it would be at least .5 meter higher. Balastre is a one time expense!

I brought in 3 trucks the easy way--before the wall went in and at least 4 more later. Won't work for a hurrican mitch, but most years the upper lot where the house is gets by fine.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    One extra problem, the city can come in later and lay the curbs on grade (not dug in)with the crown of the road 1 ft. higher than grade. That leaves you one foot in the hole.

Yes - But almost everyone on this street is at grade already, so the chance of them going up is slim (but certainly not zero for sure)

The crest of the road is probably 4 to 5" below this shot with the (Alleged) curb about 56 to 8" down.

"Relatives have a lot in the neighborhood. I filled it in for them to 1 foot above the curb and told them if I built a house there it would be at least .5 meter higher.

Balastre is a one time expense! "

Do you remember what you paid for the balastre by the 12 meter truck ? For me,, freight will probably cost more than the material, unless they happen to be doing some road construction close by. That is the case for piedras canteras.

I agree,, getting up a foot is the best thing you can do. A vapor barrier using that inexpensive and strong black plastic would be a good second. Not only would you get a better cure, it would keep the slab drier going forward.

One of the problems I have seen with slabs is,, the top surface is not finished like in the US. They do it in commercial construction, I've watched it and they have the tools,, but for the little guys, so much is a rough surface, and then they come back with a repello, and it eventually spalls. If you are covering the slab with ceramic,, then you don't need or want the repello, so no big deal.

It's hard to get what you want sometimes.
    Even if you are willing to pay for it.

Blog Entries

Jimmi starts the last portion of the wall today - He actually did find another side job in August which is nice for him.

Once this is done then we move to the last rebar'ed columns to be cemented for the support structure for floor 2. We will probably have to dig one more Seizmica

Up here we head up to the plot on the island Sept 18 - Have a few trail cams, a 200' tape measure and some shovels gloves and other small tools. Plan to measure out the full 80x134 foot and rip into the pile of sticks that was the old cabin - My guess by looking what was left of the stove it was a 1920's sort of one room shack. We will string up the trail cams and probably go up and swap cards and batteries on them in mid Nov, early Dec.

Lumber in Ontario is insane - What was a $2.25 8 footer 6 months ago is now $6.58. So the new 10x10 shed that was also to hold the solar panel test panes is on hold until things become quasi stable.

Chilo is really worried this week. Her youngest brother (48 or 49 yrs old) was admitted to hospital Monday for a heart attach and in the general check up an MRI also showed some or a clots in the brain. Our two hospitals have been set as Heart/respiratory (St Marys, where he went for the Heart attack) and Grand River (Which in Natal, Trauma and cancer). For Brain he is being transferred to London, about 50mi away.

It is kind of a flip from 30 yrs ago - When Chilo's 2nd eldest brother arrived here under refugee program he had a descending thoracic aneurysm taken care of in London. A procedure he would have done here in KW if it was today.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 09-03-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Last time I paid about 2200 cords for 12 M of selecto here in town. Somebody here has a bigger truck which I hear is a little cheaper per M delivered. For years they have been selling a powdery yellow selecto. It is popular because it is easy to place but it is really crap. Moving water above ground or underground will wash it away. What I did on the relative's lot was put down a layer of real rock balastre (nominally 4 inch) and then covered it with a layer of the powdery stuff to fill the gaps. I'll let the rain and time settle it in as nobody is building in the near future.

It was around double for our place in the country. Lucked out and got some free balastre when they put in a phone tower. Neighbor bought some local stuff in the country and it turned out to be more like powdered clay. I've seen this before, you get a big surprise when the first rain comes. Best bet is find a local landowner who has a project going and will sell some extra while he still has the loader and truck on site. More and more this is being done with loader and dump truck, not by shovel, at least on the big trucks.

Like piedra, distance from the source is a big part of the final cost.

"Relatives have a lot in the neighborhood. I filled it in for them to 1 foot above the curb and told them if I built a house there it would be at least .5 meter higher.

Balastre is a one time expense! "

Do you remember what you paid for the balastre by the 12 meter truck ? For me,, freight will probably cost more than the material, unless they happen to be doing some road construction close by. That is the case for piedras canteras.

I agree,, getting up a foot is the best thing you can do. A vapor barrier using that inexpensive and strong black plastic would be a good second. Not only would you get a better cure, it would keep the slab drier going forward.

One of the problems I have seen with slabs is,, the top surface is not finished like in the US. They do it in commercial construction, I've watched it and they have the tools,, but for the little guys, so much is a rough surface, and then they come back with a repello, and it eventually spalls. If you are covering the slab with ceramic,, then you don't need or want the repello, so no big deal.

It's hard to get what you want sometimes.
    Even if you are willing to pay for it.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah. I put a vapor barrier under our first house but forgot on the second. Since both houses were built about 18 inches above grade it really didn't matter. We did put iron mess in both slabs, one time store bought and the other time made on site. Also, these guys put out a lot of energy tamping the fill with a pizon but I have never seen anyone water it in as they compact it. I think it would be much stronger. Sometimes they will bring in a gas powered compacter, but even with this I think watering it in would be better.

With time you feel the voids under your slab. I suspect much of this is from poor compacting but some is from ant nests.

Rough surface is standard on the assumption you are going to tile it. If you don't tile it it will eat up your shoes. So went my first pair of Birkenstocks....

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast