Thread: Happy Day Finally Arrives

Default Happy Day Finally Arrives

Despite Javier telling me that Mariposa was still a week away, and Arielka claiming that pigs are ALWAYS born at night,, Mariposa decided to suddenly drop her "litter" at 4PM on Friday.

She farrowed 15, but one came late, didn't notice it, and it was born encased in the placental sack and suffocated. I was pre-occupied getting the others fixed onto teats and didn't see it come.

Despite staying up with her until about 3AM,, she managed to sit on another one,, the biggest one too, so I have a total of 13 healthy and happy piglets.

Birthing 15 apparently takes a lot out of a girl. She went off her feed, milk was late coming in (supposedly typical of her Landrace breed). She was still out of it the following afternoon, about 24 hours after, so I suspected all the possible ills I had read about in the books and online.

I injected her with 10 ml of Gentimycin, which I was going to use anyway before and after. She was fine the following morning,, so I have no idea if the antibiotic did her more good, or me. She started to eat, coaxed by her favorites: beans cooked with some soup bones,, and fresh milk.

I have a crock pot and a quantity of beans that I cannot sell. Pigs love them,, but only if they are cooked. These animals are real carnivores,, any meat pleases them. I found bags of fresh soup bones with quite a bit of meat on them at La Colonia for 7 pounds for 100 cords. I put them into the crock pot to flavor the beans.

Her milk came in big time, finally,, piglets are happy, nurse for a bit,, play in the pen,,then return to the piglet house for a nap. When she is ready to nurse, she grunts (some secret pig talk, I assume) and they come out to nurse. Process repeats repeatedly, unless she doesn't want to nurse,, or is eating, or drinking.

Piglets look very healthy,, I still haven't given them their iron shots or cut their teeth. She gets the odd bite on a nipple, and swings a foot at the offender.

But, she's a very good mother. Gets up carefully, nudges the piglets out of the way when she flops down to nurse them. They are getting more aware of their environment as well,, and understand that she provides a threat.

More pics and blog. Battery is gone. Still no decent internet on the farm. The new tower winks at me, if I had a 500 meter arm I could reach out and touch it, it's that close.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: Happy Day Finally Arrives

One busy Momma!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Pirate farmer, it warms the piggy corner of my heart to read of your success. Such a fine looking litter and with momma so well primed, and to read how you're becoming attuned to her grunts. Is your window beside her pen?

Let us know when you'll be serving 'lechon asado'.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Congrats!

Blog Entries

Where are the cigars?

15 new mouths to feed. Are you setup to handle that many?
    Soy el chele mono.

Thank you for the congratulations.
    It's been a busy week, but finished OK

Piglets are growing like weeds, clearly getting enough milk, spend a lot of time chasing the odd chicken or two that winds up in their pen. Or sleeping in the sun, piled on top of one another.

Mariposa is back to her aggravating self, but eating like a ....pig....?
    She loves those beans,, high in protein,, and I have quite a bit I couldn't sell because my guys mixed two varieties when they were drying and cleaning them.
    Bean buyers won''t buy them like that. I managed to unload a couple of quintal,, but at a big discount. I wish I had saved them for all the hungry mouths coming down the road. We ground up another 3 quintal of corn this morning,,

I was a bit worried about all the beans,, maybe changing her bowel habits, but I can testify from first hand experience that they didn't make any difference at all. Maybe she loves the beans because she's a Nicaraguan pig?

I have two pigs and about 30 chickens that need to "descansar en el paz del Señor" as the sound trucks say, as they announce a wake. I can't believe how fast they plant people here,, but as the guy said in Cap'n Ron:
    "We have to,, we have no refrigeration"
    This has to be malpractice paradise for the doctors.

Blog Entries

Ya know....it is a sure sign that your life has changed when you take notice of:
    A....Your Pigs Dietary Preferences
    B....Your Pigs Shit
    C.....You then document the above.

Salud...

P.S. .....I guess my commentary may be a commentary on my lifestyle as well, eh?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

welllll, better than sitting on the porch and talking about corn?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"