Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Save El Porton Verde (and my son!)

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Save El Porton Verde (and my son!)

I was going to go to Canada one day but it snowed so I went to L.A., and then to mex, British Honduras, and Guate.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrown View Post
    I think Eric Voltz did it -- there's a YouTube video of the scratches on his back that he said was caused by the rough pine coffin and the police posting the video said looked more like human nail scratches. There was another guy whose US family was promoting that he was framed and that seems to have gone away when the girl delivered her baby (DNA tests would have proved who was the daddy).

As for coke and weed -- I know a government lawyer who think it should be legal. The way the Jinotega police seem to handle it is rather like the way killings in and around an adulterous bed are handled in the US South -- nobody else is guilty either, so if your druggie friends rob you, that's not a legal problem. Our local pot smoking gringa's nephew who was here to beat a statutory rape case (16 year old when he was 20 or so) left to avoid being arrested here on something else.

When various people tried to figure out how to get Basil Givner off, I figured that various other people could have worked to give Eric Voltz an alibi.

The thing with underaged girls is that they will go to the cops under certain conditions. One of the things that got one guy busted was that he put the girls' photos up on Facebook.

One of the mistakes people make is assuming that uneducated means naive and gullible, and strong gender roles mean women are submissive. Studies in the US trying to find a mental illness cause for crime found that the sanest people in poor neighborhoods were the criminals.

Anyone doing tourism here in the north central mountains, especially ego/eco tourism, sigh. The trait of being blindly romantic about what one can do here goes with being blindly romantic about a woman with whom one has not even a language in common. Girl in San Juan del Sur fell for a sleazy surfer druggie and serial exploiter of women. She posted his photo. He looked like a sleaze. Being blind to the danger signs is part of being a gullible victim, and some of the problem is arrogance on the part of the person who is sure he or she can control the situation because of an economic role held in the US. Lots of people confuse institutional empowerment (your job description as manager) with personal power (sometimes yes, or the boss give you some of his because you're not a threat to him).
    Voltz most likely didn't do it. Everyone focuses in on that one item ignoring the heaps of logistical evidence that says he doesn't. She also got much more out of it than you are characterizing her for doing. The standard stories are told in a way to paint her a certain way, but the truth is she was no stranger to befriending gringos of capital.

It was an area of interest on mine when I first came down here.

A simple trip to San Juan, a few days in the local bars. Everyone knows who did it.

I don't believe Voltz did it either. He was a convenient fall guy, everybody wanted to see the guy go,, he was an embarrassment to the gringos,, and the real killers were probably Sandi connected, which counts for everything.

: . . Oscar, SIL husband, thought he had it all figured out in 2010 - On a trip down there he paid (Partially) for a plot, a casket, even arranged a P/U and white chairs for his ailing Mothers' end. In 2012 she passed. He spent 3 days getting the Casket to show up, the truck to show up, the chairs to show etc etc. Lesson taken is you make the arrangements when it happens and if there is no one to make the arrangements for you, it is not your worry :-) ..."

I had a little taste of this when Ariana's mother died suddenly,, of a stroke. It highlighted the shortfalls of Nica medicine if you have anything seriously wrong with you. She had an earlier, minor, stroke, and was simply sent home.

I could go on,, a long story,, husband converting money Ariana sent down for medicine and medical care to rum,, over a long period of time. She had diabetes and high blood pressure, both could have been controlled with medication.

Anyway, when she died, they got in touch with me to bring the body back to Condga from Estelí for the wake in my pickup trip!! No one had two nickels to rub together at that point. It didn't happen, as they were referred to a Presta Mister who specializes in providing the complete enchilada, casket (probably re-usable with a hinged bottom), tables, chairs,, transport, on the time payment plan. I got down to Condega from the farm,, and got a message that they found >>> other transport.

I gave them $200 to buy food for the wake, and was hugely relieved, as I was uncertain about the legalities of driving around Nicaragua with a dead body in my truck bed wrapped in a tarp (at that time they didn't have a casket).

I went back up the hill and made a midnight run to RobleDal to pick up the mourners,, half of the community packed standing up in my truck bed, the truck swaying side to side as we negotiated the switchbacks,,, -- and a day later Robertina was safely planted in terra firma.
    I didn't attend the funeral,, which they have never forgiven me for,, mostly because the mourners expected a ride back home.

You can get to RobleDalito from two directions, the Yali road,, a really treacherous track,, or from the north. The north is the only way you can arrive by bus,, the bus from Condega past my farm,, to San Jeronimo,, but it's a 45 minute walk from the bus stop.
    Little kids have to be carried much of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    You can get to RobleDalito from two directions, the Yali road,, a really treacherous track,, or from the north. The north is the only way you can arrive by bus,, the bus from Condega past my farm,, to San Jeronimo,, but it's a 45 minute walk from the bus stop.
    Little kids have to be carried much of the way.
    I thought that there was a passable road (of sorts) from Bramadero to Robledal. I remember seeing the turn off when I walked by Bramadero on my way back from Yali, and I saw it from the Robledal end too, but I've never walked it.

When Krisnia and I walked to Robledal from San Jeronimo, we talked to her family and they told me that the road can handle vehicles during the dry months. I considered walking out through Bramadero so that I didn't have to take the same way out through San Jeronimo that we took to get there--because that path is muddy and was brutal on me knees. The only reason we didn't is because they convinced me that going through Bramadero is much farther.
    Soy el chele mono.

" . . . I thought that there was a passable road (of sorts) from Bramadero to Robledal. I remember seeing the turn off when I walked by Bramadero on my way back from Yali, and I saw it from the Robledal end too, but I've never walked it. . ."

Yeah,, Bramadero is on the Condega Yali road. I CANNOT believe you walked all the way from Yalí

I walked it once too, San Jeronimo to RobleDal,, with Ariana, to visit her parents and attend some graduation.

It was rainy season,, I returned covered in mud head to toe,, with my dress shoes filled with mud from a slide down a hill into a bog.
    Ariana packed a change of clothes,, and a pair of high heels. That was a very long day. I had a house in Condega at the time.

The road,, well . . . I almost lost my Highlander once when the road simply collapsed under me due to supersaturation of the soil
    from a stream that passed over it.

Another time,, I was negotiating a washout where I had to drive up the right side of the cliff face. Everyone in the vehicle got out, crossed over, and waited for me on the other side. There are numerous switchbacks where I had to back,, and take another bite, to make the turn. Coming down,, not letting your brakes lock, especially if the road is muddy, is crucial, or you'll just start sliding.

It's a beautiful part of Nicaragua. I love that slice of the country,, it's old Nicaragua, people living much as they lived before the revolution. Very little cash money,, they either sell on the cheap to some guy who comes by in a Hilux, or they struggle to get things to a market via horse, then bus. The people are very open and friendly.

I was there one year when Ariana's father, Don Chico, sold his coffee to a buyer for 60 cents on the dollar. Another time we filled my truck with a load of his Chitoma that he sold in Condega. It's a hard life.

I've installed two solar electric systems up there now, out of my pocket. They were making some progress getting an electrical line closer each year, but now . . . . ...The Canadians were financing most of that but they quit and asked for their money back.

My systems work well, thanks to LED bulbs, and little other energy need.
    Ariana donated a TV last year, and I've provided DVD's for the kids on an ongoing basis. So there is that bit of entertainment. Not much else.

The MoviStar tower close to my farm provides a consistent signal now, a big help. Phone used to be really iffy. The other big consumer of electricity from my solar plant is,, charging cell phones. Don Chico make a few cords charging cell phones for the community which he promptly converts to a small bottle of guaro.

Blog Entries

This discussion about the difficulties of ‘taming’ much of Nicaragua with modern machinery reminds me of the raw strength of Nature and of how much of Nicaragua is effectively ‘uncivilized’ (‘undeveloped’ is the operative word) still in the 21st century. Clearly it’s part of the attraction of the place. In our hearts, many of us recognized the truth of what Thoreau said, “In wildness is the preservation of the world,” for it teaches us, shows us how little we truly know.

“Nature is not, of course, always benign and beautiful. It can be frightening and terrifying also. Not too many generations ago, raw nature and wilderness tended to inspire fear and dread in "civilized" people. They represented Otherness and the Unknown. That which is "wild" is also "bewildering". Today, wilderness is usually considered to be something good and in need of preservation. The beauty and awesomeness of it dominate our attention. We are attracted by wilderness, the Otherness of it, the sense it is something inevitably outside of us. Always beyond us, it is what is ultimately real.” Henry David Thoreau
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Returning to the 2019 origin of this 2017 thread pothole: “Voltz most likely didn't do it.” That was my impression at the time. His alibi that he was elsewhere, in Managua, at the time she was killed in SJdS appeared solid. Still the guy seemed despicable, like a carpetbagger. Making big money Californicating SJdS, hooking up with the local beauty queen, for whom he bought a dress shop (where she was killed) as a consolation gift for his inability to commit. As I recall he ran afoul of FSLN cause too many of his real estate transactions were cash deals (drug lords?).

Returning to the true origin of this thread, Mike Quinn (webtrainer), what’s happened with El Porton Verde and your son, if you don’t mind my asking?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Returning to the true origin of this thread, Mike Quinn (webtrainer), what’s happened with El Porton Verde and your son, if you don’t mind my asking?
    The last I seen him post on da Faze book

1) The hotel is no longer in his hands
    2) He has limited access to the boy, but access no less.
    3) He managed to find employment teaching english and was under some sort of harasmant from the boys Mother's family he reported on a pop up post about 6 months ago.

Not sure if he frequents here anylonger.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Wait - someone made big money in SJDS?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Wait - someone made big money in SJDS?
    Remember the pre-2008 'Housing Bubble' fever? SJdS was rumored to be CR before the gold rush. Boomer yuppie Shangri La. A realtor's Mecca.

NOW on Amazon: Gringo Nightmare: A Young American Framed for Murder in Nicaragua by Eric Volz 3.9 out of 5 stars (48 ratings) 304 pages, St. Martin's Press; 1st hardback edition (April 27, 2010) Kindle $7.99 Hardcover $18.31
    Paperback: 8 Used from $300.00, 2 New from $1,731.88 (Eric's copies, I'd guess)
    ___ "In the spirit of Midnight Express ... comes the harrowing true story of an American held in a Nicaraguan prison for a murder he didn’t commit."
    The vignettes of the prisons and cold-blooded inmates are scalding. ... Volz describes a web of sinister international political acts involving even Nicaraguan president Daniel Ortega, whom he calls corrupt and duplicitous in this tale of everything that can go south for an American facing uncertain justice abroad.
    "In March 2015, Volz announced the launch of the David House Foundation, a nonprofit, non-partisan think tank offering research and analysis on the growing trend of politically motivated detentions of travelers abroad."

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The longer I stay here the more I realize that making silk purses out of sow's ears is so problematical.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456