Thread: The US Consulate is a Ponzi Scheme

Default The US Consulate is a Ponzi Scheme

Pity the Nicas applying for visas. I mean the legitimate ones, not the flakes. They pay the $160 fee, take the foto, travel to dirty nasty Managua, get fingerprinted, and when they get to the window with their documentation the clerk asked them a few questions, insinuates a few things, refuses to see their documentation, and then denies the visa. Next, that will be $160, sucker.

Then they give the sucker/I mean applicant/ a form that says you have not proved your need to return to Nic. This decision is not appealable, but sucker, if you can scrape up another $160 you can come get screwed again.

Mr Trump, if you want to drain the swamp you can start at the US Consulate in Managua.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Default Re: The US Consulate is a Ponzi Scheme

Well,, actually they tell you not to come back unless something material changes.

There is a lot of the luck of the draw here. Get there early,, ignore the appointment thing,, get there at 7AM and get in line. You sign up as you arrive and you are seen in that order.

Seen early,, I think that you have a better chance. As it gets towards lunch the interviewer's stomach is growling and he just wants to get out of there. That means,, clearing out the room quicky.

Before that he might be inclined to listen to your BS story and grant you a boon.

Women: Low cut top,, but not tarty (tough as most Nicaraguan women look tarty when they dress to impress).

Guys: Forget it,, you don't have a chance. Might as well head to Mexico and get on La Bestia. Your odds are much better.

If something material changes they won't know because they will not look at the paperwork. You have the right to bring documentation, they have no requirement to look at it. Kaching, $160, come back another day. In most cases I think the deceision is made before you even step up to the window.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    If something material changes they won't know because they will not look at the paperwork. You have the right to bring documentation, they have no requirement to look at it. Kaching, $160, come back another day. In most cases I think the deceision is made before you even step up to the window.

They have some guidance program they run during the interview. But,, yes,, your application is probably scored before the interviewer sees you. Still,, apparently he has quite a bit of flexibility. So,, he CAN put his thumb on the scale.
    I've heard of some outrageous visa approvals that made no sense at all.

I went through the process with Ariana. Her belly was already such that she had trouble getting too close to the window. Arriving with her supposed "prometido" the guy was probably thinking,, "give me a break!!" I thought we had a pretty good story,, but I'm sure he had heard them all before.

In retrospect,, it was cheaper and easier and more of a sure bet (Camino Real hotel,, meals, gas to Managua),, $160 visa application fee, just to go mojado.
    Not the solution for everyone . . . . but worked for us and we had a lot of fun doing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Well,, actually they tell you not to come back unless something material changes.

There is a lot of the luck of the draw here. Get there early,, ignore the appointment thing,, get there at 7AM and get in line. You sign up as you arrive and you are seen in that order.

Seen early,, I think that you have a better chance. As it gets towards lunch the interviewer's stomach is growling and he just wants to get out of there. That means,, clearing out the room quicky.

Before that he might be inclined to listen to your BS story and grant you a boon.

Women: Low cut top,, but not tarty (tough as most Nicaraguan women look tarty when they dress to impress).

Guys: Forget it,, you don't have a chance. Might as well head to Mexico and get on La Bestia. Your odds are much better.

Helps to be blond male and born in Germany, but I do know a few guys here who have ten year visas. The trick seems to be owning property, having a business, and having a family. Or having a job, a family, and property. Kids right out of college will be turned down, also anyone who is free-lancing, non-property-owner.

Mexico is as tough but doesn't charge $160 to tell the person no, and does look at the paperwork. A kid I know here tried to get a visa to travel with me as my interpreter going to Mexico City and was turned down for being in debt (they want to see your bank records). Same kid got into Panama and Costa Rica, and heard that he could get visas for Cuba and Brazil.

The $160 fee applies to anyone applying for a US visa from any country. The supposition is that anyone claiming to be a tourist isn't really until proven otherwise. We know how that goes here with perpetual tourists.

Worst case would be young male, no current job, just out of school.

Blog Entries

I have lots of Friends with 10 year Visa. They own things,,,,
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

We waited a long time in line the other day and my wife was counting the people who walked away with no visa. Almost all. I think the day of the 10 year visa is going away. So many jump ship it isn't worth the risk, especially with the new political climate in the US.

As the wall gets build, people will be looking for other ways and visas will be clamped down on.