Thread: Customs forms - some inside tips.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Customs forms - some inside tips.

So on this last trip, we came in via Mexico. A couple interesting tidbits

#1 - Not sure if this is new, or just because it is Mexico connection, but we were only given one customs form for the 2 of us. - Previous trips was a single sheet for each. Maria filled it out. There was a place to enter the amount of cash you were bringing in and one to declare goods. We put in the amount we had in cash and that we had a radio (still in box) and some other gifts.

#2 - Fellow at Immigration said we do not need to put in the cash and the goods, filled out a completely new form for us from the old one (with the claims removed) and asked Maria to sign.

Tourist card is still $10.

#3 - Also with reflection to some recent news reports on passports, they asked Chilo point blank if she has a Nicaraguan passport. From what I have read if you are a Nicaraguan citizen (e.g. born there and not renounced) you must present your valid Nica passport if you have one. Chilo does not, but the question posed by the Immigration fellow leads me to believe they are enforcing that rule.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Customs forms - some inside tips.

We had one family form, the surprising thing was that it only had one name on it. customs is customs, I gueass and they are only looking at the money. At immigration you go one by one and get your picture took.

You only declare the cash if it is OVER 10k. don't confuse them if it is under 10k.

Long time policy for dual nationals to fly in on their Nica passport and enter the US on their US one. Surprised she hasn't got her passport yet.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    We had one family form, the surprising thing was that it only had one name on it. customs is customs, I gueass and they are only looking at the money. At immigration you go one by one and get your picture took.
    Looks like Canadians do not get pictures

You only declare the cash if it is OVER 10k. don't confuse them if it is under 10k.
    Makes sence now - It was worded as declare the cash you have, not in the context of the 10K

Long time policy for dual nationals to fly in on their Nica passport and enter the US on their US one. Surprised she hasn't got her passport yet.
    Has not had one since hers expired in 95, has only had a Canadian one since then, but did get a Celdula re-issued in '08 and then '15 in the new style.

Blog Entries

Don't mean to be persnickety jejeje, but don't your Nic relatives know everything about things Nic?

I call it Nicaraguan chauvinism. Some seem to think they know everything about Nicaragua because they are Nicaraguan. I have found out several times that it doesn't work that way! If she only has a year she should probably start looking to get her Nic passport. Also, I understand Nicas living abroad for x years have the right to bring buku goodies back tax free like a foreign jubilado does.
    migracion website probably explains much of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So on this last trip, we came in via Mexico. A couple interesting tidbits

#1 - Not sure if this is new, or just because it is Mexico connection, but we were only given one customs form for the 2 of us. - Previous trips was a single sheet for each. Maria filled it out. There was a place to enter the amount of cash you were bringing in and one to declare goods. We put in the amount we had in cash and that we had a radio (still in box) and some other gifts.

#2 - Fellow at Immigration said we do not need to put in the cash and the goods, filled out a completely new form for us from the old one (with the claims removed) and asked Maria to sign.

Tourist card is still $10.

#3 - Also with reflection to some recent news reports on passports, they asked Chilo point blank if she has a Nicaraguan passport. From what I have read if you are a Nicaraguan citizen (e.g. born there and not renounced) you must present your valid Nica passport if you have one. Chilo does not, but the question posed by the Immigration fellow leads me to believe they are enforcing that rule.

Traveling in Mexico is such a joy. People are friendly and helpful. No axes to grind
    (despite or maybe because of Trump) Peso is incredibly cheap, making everything a deal. Even gas was cheap for a while until the government jacked up the price.

It's a first world country, with autopistas that rival our interstates. I remember the Mexico of the 60's (as will Daddy-YO).
    Pretty much the Nicaragua of today.

Blog Entries

If she only has a year she should probably start looking to get her Nic passport. Also, I understand Nicas living abroad for x years have the right to bring buku goodies back tax free like a foreign jubilado does.
    migracion website probably explains much of this.
    OK, I guess the part we do not understand is the necessity of a passport - If she has her Canadian passport, and Celdula, what does a Nica Passport get her? Are you implying that she is ineligible for the duty free return to Nicaragua after 10 yrs absent if she does not have a passport?

Ironically was talking to brother inlaw this AM over coffee and pico, he states when he came back 3 yrs ago he just came in, not taking advantage of the repatriation clause. He says he may do that this fall, bringing down a High and dry Tuscon - Has a US import Accent for the last 18 months and parts have been a breeze - Much more so than the Mazdas' he brought down last time.

Blog Entries

One pleasure of flying Copa to panama was I didn't have to sit in a US airport listening to a squeaky voiced recording telling me "Do not take bombs on board the aircraft for people you do not know well" over and over again. I found the store clerks, etc, to be upbeat in Panama.

Probably a lot of moms and kids in MX who are happy dad is going to have to drop his mistress in the states and come home.

Blog Entries

Check with migracion or somebody. It may be that they want a passport just because they want a passport. When she comes in on her Canadian passport does she have to get a tourist visa for 10 bucks? If she does, that means she is a tourist and has to check out every 90 days? It may not matter for short trips, but when she moves back I think it will be an issue. If she doesn't have to get a tourist card than may mean nothing, they are just letting here slide like the currently do with the foreigner perpetual tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    OK, I guess the part we do not understand is the necessity of a passport - If she has her Canadian passport, and Celdula, what does a Nica Passport get her? Are you implying that she is ineligible for the duty free return to Nicaragua after 10 yrs absent if she does not have a passport?
    The repatriation thing is optional like the jubilado thing--I've done it twice and never applied for anything but may bring down a car later this year. If my wife can't get a visa, no reason to leave a car sitting up in the States. We can tour Mexico and bring it down.

Ironically was talking to brother in law this AM over coffee and pico, he states when he came back 3 yrs ago he just came in, not taking advantage of the repatriation clause. He says he may do that this fall, bringing down a High and dry Tuscon - Has a US import Accent for the last 18 months and parts have been a breeze - Much more so than the Mazdas' he brought down last time.