Thread: Claro wi-fi

Blog Entries

Default Claro wi-fi

The following is lifted directly from FB (without apology to Zuckerberg who's touring the USA in his bid to become Supreme Leader) in hopes it may be useful to Real Nica fans.

6/29/17 Ira Nicaragua the new frontier
    Two years ago i had Claro come to my house and change my Internet password. The factory password,i learned,is easy to hack and as time passed,to many moochers so i had Claro change it. Problem solved. Then a week ago,the power blinked, as it as has done many many times, but this time,i lost Internet. On trying to establish Internet,i found that my modem had returned to the factory settings. So off i go to Claro to have them come out again to reset the modem back to MY password. I gave them my name,account number, my cedula and my passport, then they said my service was in another persons name? Finally i got the mess all straightened out, From all the documents i gave them,they choose to use my cedula but instead of the cedula number they were using my birthday as the cedula number. .Now i need to be here all day Monday for when they will show up will but i know it will really be Weds or Thursday.

Charlotte For real! Sold my house May 1st and am still getting bills emailed to me! Now I have to go by with a rental receipt dated May 1st of my new place and sale papers showing the new owners!

Francie You can actually change your password yourself at home.

Ira I have no idea how and do not have the cable that is needed from laptop to the modem. l have had a friend change it without using the cable but the it goes back each time i turn off my laptop.

Francie to Ira you can do this wirelessly. But, after you make the change you have to reboot the modem. Which claro modem do you have?

Ira to Francie ..no idea what i have

Karen I just changed service with Claro and waiting for the next nightmarish event....likely billing for both places! Do you know the contraseña for the admin to claro routers by chance? I would like to change my password as well....just have the factory ID as my password ?? thanks, Francie Butler, for any light you might be able to shed/share ??

Francie to Karen pm with the password.

Mary We have a Claro assigned password but it is long enough that I can't even remember it!

Ira I was told all that is really different on factory passwords are just the last 4 or 5 numbers. All it takes is one smart hacker in your neighborhood and then everyone has your password. Same thing has happened to more than one of my friends.

Jeff There are 2 passwords on a modem as you probably know. One to get into the modem admin admin and one to secure your wifi. You can change both when you get into your modem with first password. You can also change and hide the SID which is the name of your broadcast wifi router. But you need to get the first user name and password. Another thing you will want to do, and this is very important. You will want to save your changes and restart your modem. I hope this helps Ira.

Ira nope,Claro will put me password back like before. In 2 yrs,this has only happened once.

Cory The code to unlock claro modms is User:Admin password:C1@r0

Scott What about using Mac addresses? I think I have to add each device on my router.

Jeff That's an excellent way to secure you network. Unfortunately some modems don't have this feature.

Jeff I use "Network Scanner for Android" by First Row if you want to see who's on your wifi network. Remember your router and phone are included usually as the first two items.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Claro wi-fi

Let me guess, Ira is over 60, probably over 70. Francie is under 40. Jeff is under 30.

It's such a shame when you move to a furrin country and things are run just as inefficiently there as they were back home.

Blog Entries

As for Suckerbird, he's the globalists' wet dream. He's their master manipulator of the masses. But I doubt he'd be anything but a Zaphod Beeblebrox as president. Purely a figurehead (get it? If you know who Zaphod is, you will...) Zaphod was put into the position of galactic president specifically because he was totally unsuited for the job, and would distract everyone's attention away from who was really wielding power.

So many of Douglas Adams' visions have come true, his Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is hardly humorous any more.

His story of the Golgafrinchans is an exact allegory for the global warming hoax. The Golgafrinchans convinced each other that the planet was going to be eaten by a giant mutant star goat, and that their only salvation was to evacuate the planet and colonize a new one. So they divided up the population into three groups, the thinkers, the doers, and the middle management (bureaucrats, politicians, etc.). They sent off the middle management first, to get the new planet ready for the arrival of the others. Except that there were no others. The others had cleverly convinced the middle management, bureaucrats, and politicians to leave them alone once and for all. Unfortunately, the planet they colonized was Earth, and we are their descendants.

So maybe all we have to do is convince Jeff Bozos, Elon Musk Ox and the other elitists to go ahead and colonize Mars, and take your global warming mongers with you, and leave the rest of us to, uh, fend for ourselves. Yeah, that's it. We'll be just fine.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

And for documentation sake...

Cory The code to unlock claro modms is User:Admin password:C1@r0
    This information only means something if you have a wire connected to the box. Then enter in your browser (one or the other) http://192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

You will be prompted for the PW like Cory mentions.

Set up is typically (never set up a claro, but many others) quite straight forward.

You definatly want to disable Administration by wireless or Wi fi. This will typically have wording like Use port 80 or use port 8080 <- This stops people scamming your wifi by login in and changing your profile.

The password is printed on the bottom of the box for Wi-Fi for Claro - You can keep it, but might want to change it after numerous family visits - Devices do remember and people pas passwords around.

Lastly the MAC address thang is a good one - This is a list where the unique ID of "the thang" attached to the router is allowed access, regardless of the password. This way you only have items that you eexplicitly give right too connect - But it is work.

Last count, with phones , Ruko, Apple TV, Computers, IP cameras, tablets and the like, there are 50 freekin devices on our house network - I don't do MAC address.

Marta pays 1200 to 1400 cords (depending on the person you ask and on what day) for cable TV and 1mbps for her.

BIL just got a new provider (Daniel, 2 down from our plot) Cable and Inet @ 2mbps for C$1200/month - So far he says it is good - 2mbps is really the minimum you need for IPTV.

Spent a 1/2 day with Ira last trip and met a couple others . Ira is a good guy - On wife #6 ya know - But he is doing what's right for the last boy. Citizenship et al - I see his stories and shudder at me as a single man in Nicaragua - Sure hope Maria out lives me down there...

Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 06-30-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

" . . . .The password is printed on the bottom of the box for Wi-Fi for Claro - You can keep it, but might want to change it after numerous family visits - Devices do remember and people pas passwords around.

Or the Claro guy who does the install sells the password to your immediate neighbors . .
    In Condega I had a line of people sitting outside my house on their smart phones. I assumed they were there because of the shade.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

" . . . .The password is printed on the bottom of the box for Wi-Fi for Claro - You can keep it, but might want to change it after numerous family visits - Devices do remember and people pas passwords around.

Or the Claro guy who does the install sells the password to your immediate neighbors . .
    In Condega I had a line of people sitting outside my house on their smart phones. I assumed they were there because of the shade.

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

My wife gave our password to a neighbor once. We see her in front of her house on her cel. Seems the signal won't go all the way into her house! Various family and friends seem to have our password. At a recent party so many were on their cells that my wife got mad and turned off the router. That works, but woo onto me. I had scammed the system by playing the good host and greeting everyone and then sneaking off to our room to play on the net. Now I am shut off, too. Current strategy is to turn off the router when people start arriving and then sneak it back on later.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

My lovely, little Nica wife is jealous of the time I spend with what she calls my com-puta. Even our toddler - whose vocabulary might approach 100 somewhat-intelligible words - says it: Daddy's com-puta.

I cut a deal with our neighbor. We share my cable TV and his Claro wifi. His son spliced into the coax cable on my roof and he told me his password. The problem was that I could only receive his wifi signal sitting near the wall we share. But my bro-in-law solved that with a boosting router that rebroadcasts the signal in our midst. Now the problem is too many moochers - streaming works well the first half of the month, after that it's sluggish until the next month.

Surviving in Nicaragua required an ethical readjustment.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Nica women are jealous of a ham sandwich...

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s