Thread: La Laguna del Valley

Default La Laguna del Valley

The paved highway that connects Condega to Yali passes by the turn offs (on the northern side of the road) up into a string of communities in an area commonly referred to by the natives as Canta Gallo. I asked why it's called that, and they told me that a long time ago, people would climb out into the middle of nowhere (far from any house) and they'd hear a phantom rooster crowing. They figured that it must be a phantom or ghost rooster, because there were no houses anywhere around there, and therefor no chickens, and therefor no roosters to crow. They took this as an evil omen of death. Personally, I have a hard time hearing this story without thinking about "Ghost Chickens in the Sky." For those who haven't heard this--do yourselves a favor and Google it.

I can completely understand the rooster legend after living up there for a couple of months. There are rooster calls all through the night, and not just from the rooster that lives under the farm house. He crows in response to all of the other rooster--both the flesh and feather as well as the spectral variety.

The main road up into Canta Gallo runs past a town called La Laguna del Valle, but the locals just call it La Laguna. There is no lagoon in La Laguna. I asked several people over the course of a few weeks about why it is called La Laguna if there is no lagoon, and I finally found someone who knew. Something like 15 years ago, there was a lagoon in La Laguna, but it dried up. Whatever natural spring fed it just stopped. Where the lagoon was, there is now a field. She also told me that the lagoon was owned by a man who didn't want anyone swimming in it (and had therefor fenced it off), because a child had drown in the lagoon. She speculated that the lagoon dried up because of a curse connected to the child's death.

On June 6th (just a day after my attempted walk to Nispero), I decided that I'd walk down the road towards the highway again, but this time take my camera. I took pictures along the stretch that I hadn't already covered until I reached the road. I thought for a moment about walking to Condega again so that I could take photos along the highway (I remembered many places where I'd wished that I had my camera), but then I remembered that I was miserable after that walk...so instead, I waited at the bus stop for the first bus. As fate would have it, a bus to Condega was the first to come by, so I went that way instead of to Yali.

That's the advantage of walking down to the highway (about 5 kilometers from KWP's farm) instead of taking the bus. The only bus that passes the farm goes exclusively to Condega, so if and when I want to go the other way, I need to walk down first.

Here are the photos that I took along the rest of the road down to La Laguna:

Last edited by drlemcor; 07-14-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: grammar
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Default Re: La Laguna del Valley

Gosh...that is some beautiful countryside!

Thanks for posting.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Those rocky hills are great.

Do you or KWP know why no one builds on top of the hills? Seems all the houses are in the valley. Good views probably don't equal good farming.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

no chisme on hilltops?
    lotta lightning, too.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Long walk for water.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

With few exceptions, the locals live as close to the main roads as possible. I assume that this is so that they have easier access to water and transportation as well as society (chismes). From personal experience, I also know that it takes a lot of effort to walk up and down those hilltops/mountains. A house up high has amazing views, but it is also a pain in the butt to get to.
    Soy el chele mono.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

But cell reception for all....

Drlemcor - Are you still writing from in country or have you had to return to the daily toil up north to once again return? A lot of your posts are from more than 30 days back.

You can see why Andy and KWP put down roots there.

Hope to do the same in the next 5 to 7 yrs..

People have Rio Blanco planted in Chilo's mind.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

I'm in Costa Rica now. I could have posted a couple more to catch you all up to the present (now that I have good internet access), but I've been slacking off. I'll get to them soon enough.

I am taking a brief trip back to the States for a family get-together, and then I'll be back in Nicaragua.

The remaining posts that I will write tomorrow or the next day all concern Rio Coco in one way or another.
    Soy el chele mono.

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    With few exceptions, the locals live as close to the main roads as possible. I assume that this is so that they have easier access to water and transportation as well as society (chismes). From personal experience, I also know that it takes a lot of effort to walk up and down those hilltops/mountains. A house up high has amazing views, but it is also a pain in the butt to get to.

You have to live close to your crops and livestock or they will disappear. That said, I've always been fascinated by the closeness to the road in urban areas. The noise and the dirt ...

So many of the small businesses that cropped up in Condega are right on the street. The lots are deep, a little foresight into the future when there will be more cars and people needing parking would serve these businesses. Parking is already an issue, and cars are still owned by a tiny percentage of the population.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a vicious circle I've seen in several other places. Cars lower the quality of life in a community, so people move further out, putting more cars on the road.
    Bad/no urban planning makes it worse. Esteli is doing an amazing job of creating tomorrow's problems today. The public market is a monument to bad government. Look at the market in Somoto as a contrast.Some folks make a big deal about business being free from govmint restraints, but when a store is built without parking it does society no good.
    I was amazed at the good roads near Granada on a recent trip, asphalt and concrete, not bumpy blocks, lane markings, etc. Will Granada have the sense to not let them be blocked by vegetable stands, parking on the corners, etc?

Sometimes I think the elected officials need to stand back, kiss babies and tell war stories, and hire a professional manager to run their cities.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Ghost Chickens!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INdyzSnERlE
    I especially liked the 1st, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th photos.

Blog Entries

LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by songbird27 View Post
    Ghost Chickens!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INdyzSnERlE
    I especially liked the 1st, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th photos.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.