Thread: Always Something

Blog Entries

Default Always Something

Been doing the "Usual" (nothing), last week I got a disturbing call, 1,000 - 1,500 more Trees and Plants to put in the ground.

~

Today I needed a rest from People, went and talked to some Trees I know.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Always Something

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

today i needed a rest from people, went and talked to some trees i know.

It's about the only way to have an intelligent conversation, eh?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Spent almost a year getting these Trees, things finally came together, went to Wawashang 2 weeks ago and got to hand pick the ones I wanted.

Talking to Trees is something I might be able to sell here, somehow it makes "sense".
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Shall we call you The Lorax now?

What was disturbing about the call - or was it just that the call disturbed your reverie?

Blog Entries

I hate phones, but I got a Big Ass one, doble chip, cell and internet on 2 carriers, still never rings, I use it for Internet is about all. When it rings I think long and hard about answering.

Dr Seuss Would be Proud of this. So yes, maybe Lorax.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I hate phones, but I got a Big Ass one, doble chip, cell and internet on 2 carriers, still never rings, I use it for Internet is about all. When it rings I think long and hard about answering.

Dr Seuss Would be Proud of this. So yes, maybe Lorax.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...brarian_d.html

Everything is so political on this site. Although I'm struggling with the talking to the trees metaphor.
    One great thing about trees: They always stand for the national anthem.

Some help from The Deep Thinker from Leon will be needed on this one.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Cookshow recently posted about talking to the trees as well

Googling "Trump Seuss poem" Brings up some epic rhymes.

=======Edit If I would have scrolled I would have seen him scribbling such=====
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Just googled Wawashang

Seen Wappy close by - Wonder if anyone worries in Wappy?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Seems like watching the zin rust or the turtles bask...

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Just googled Wawashang

Seen Wappy close by - Wonder if anyone worries in Wappy?
    Be Wappy, don Worry . .

If they ever put a good all season road through imagine the tourists.

The north has a good all season road.....

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    The north has a good all season road.....

Is that the one out of Matagalpa?
    Do you have a link to any mapping from Nicaragua? The usual maps are way out of date.

That be the Panam and there are still no tourists!
    MTI's website is crappy and hard to navigate, but it has departmental and some city maps in considerable detail.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    That be the Panam and there are still no tourists!
    MTI's website is crappy and hard to navigate, but it has departmental and some city maps in considerable detail.

But still no all weather east-west road,, right?

I drive from the US frequently, and agree that the Nicaraguan Pan Am is the best in Central America.
    Mexico's autopistas are great,, but they ARE pricey. You will spend as much or more,, depending on where you are.. on tolls, as you spend on gas.

Costa Rica is concreting their Inter-Americano, 4 lanes, and what they have done is beautiful, with overpasses, etc.. but it's slow going.
    Guatemala is putting in a lot of 4-lane, but it's still miserable and dangerous driving close to the borders.

Nicaragua could make huge strides JUST by putting in some more passing lanes to alleviate congestion caused by slow moving, and smoke spewing, truck and bus traffic.

K what are you planting now? Still coconuts or something new? If still coconuts what type did you get?

Blog Entries

Few asst Trees but mostly Coconut. Currently planting Brazilian Green Dwarf and Malaysian Yellow Dwarf, 500 of each, have had good luck with them. The Pictures are 1 of each, side by side, planted a little over 2 years ago. Unfortunately all are not so far advanced but many do have on Nuts and many, many more are in Bloom.

Some trade offs planting the Dwarf Trees, you go to Production sooner (3 yrs vs 6-7), but they do not have the Life Span of the Taller Trees (40 years vs 100 years). These Trees are highly Disease and Pests Resistant (always a concern here).

If things stay on pace I should have this 1,000 in the ground by end of week. Set over 500 Monday, but I already had those holes dug in anticipation of the Tree Delivery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cookshow; 10-04-2017 at 05:28 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Will have to get some of those. Are they even resistant to the coconut weevil? How much were you paying for each in a batch of 500?

Blog Entries

Nothing is resistant to Coconut Bug, luckily they are not as bad here as on Island. About to start building Pheromone Traps, not sold on them but they are a cheap thing to make and the Pheromone is available to me so going to try them.

Prices? Day of Week, Lunar Cycle, Who You talk to..... Figure about $1.25 for Bare Root Delivered (in bulk), bagged ones obviously more. The ones I got this time, most were 4-5 feet tall so worth the price but it meant me going to the Plantation to chose my Trees, so more time and expense involved in that.

Not keeping close count but figure I have set 1,000 this week. Getting down to a few left.

Storm was North of us, we had some rain this morning, steady breeze all day but it has been easing. Guess the Pacific Side of Nica and all of Costa Rica are getting hammered from other storms. Lots of Flooding.
    Ernie K Doe

https://icons.wxug.com/data/images/b...calindex_0.gif

7 dead in CR, 22 in Nic.. forecast for Esteli is 3 inches tonite.

Seams like the same pattern as 2010-11-- Storm blows off NE corner of country and sucks in rain behind it.

Blog Entries

"El último reporte del Gobierno de Nicaragua informa que hay 11 personas muertas en: Rivas (1), Carazo (1), Puerto Cabezas (1), Estelí (3), Nueva Segovia (1), Boaco (1) y Chontales (3)."

due to tropical storm Nate, as reported en today's La Prensa.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Steady light to moderate rain here, with flooding in the usual places. Glad in our project this year we discovered 6 inch drain pipes for the yard instead of the usual 4 inch ones--not a puddle in the yard except where the masons mixed cement on the ground. In 2010-11 I broke 2 curbs and made a dirt vado across our street for drainage and all is working still.

Grandbaby has been in hospital for 4 days so we have to run food to her and the mom a couple times a day. Her infection seems to be improving so the game is to get her out of the hospital before she or the mom get some worse hospital germs.Waiting on some bacterial test that takes 3 days to culture. I can hear the Panam running as usual.and it is not raining now. We are getting reports that there is considerable flooding in town due more to poor urban planning than anything else.

On a happy note, another baby in the same room with chronic/permanent problems was noticed by my stepdaughter and another muchacha in the room. They posted pix and info on fiesbook and the response was overwhelming. Donations of medicine, food, and clothes rolled in for him and another handicapped kid. Lotta fraud in NIc., but this was the real deal and the response was amazing. One of the local families of substance even quietly sent a representative to wish the mother and baby well and gave her a sealed envelope with money equivalent to more than a month's pay for many people here. Another donor gave a baby stroller to a kid whose grandmother could no longer carry her.

Gotta take the rat dog in to the vet to get his stitches removed. Never knew what a pita Chihuahuas were. Rat dog tried to steal a bone from his best bud the German Shepard. Amazing how a chihuahua head fits so perfectly in a shepard's mouth!

Hohum, another day in paradise