Thread: Books Suck!

Blog Entries

Default Books Suck!

OK....so I was led down the primrose path by KWP to read some books written by his old buddy from Key West. Namely...Reese Palley, and the books were "Concrete" (John's Favorite read),"The Answer" (an energy solution), and "Call of the Ancient Mariner". I bought them on Amazon and much to my dismay, they were not available on Kindle. Well, it has been a few years since I have read a paper based book, but thought that I would go retro for 2-3 books. BIG MISTAKE.

Paper books suck. They are heavy, very hard to read at my age, and require a light source. The Kindle is back lit and lets me vary the font size to suit my eyesight and mood.

Regarding content....."Call of the Ancient Mariner" was a pretty good read as it was more about an old mans experiences and philosophies rather than an outfitters guide to sailing. His stories are interesting and on point. His wife is about 30 - 40 years younger than he is. Apparently he likes to sail naked, which caused a serious problem at one point in the cruise.

"The Answer" (a book about power in the USA) was technically boring and terribly opinionated but the appendix was a treasure trove of information about all of the other nuclear designs that are available to us......apparently there are a lot of ways to safely use nuclear energy on a small scale......especially when you are not trying to build nuclear bombs with the by-product.

"Concrete" was (John was correct here) a piece of shit. It is a coffee table book. The print is too small to read, even if you are a very young person, it was meant to be looked at rather than read. The part about Flaglers' overseas highway was the only part that I struggled (read) through.

Now I have 3 books taking up room and I will never read again and I do not have a coffee table. They are yours for the asking. If no takers, they go to the local library.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Books Suck!

Why didn't you borrow them from your local library to begin with? If my local doesn't have it on the shelves, they can get most any book, in print or not, thru interlibrary loans. Usually within a week. They also offer several e-book services for Kindle or audio downloads, 'checked-out' for 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Of course, it's nice you contributed to KWP's buddy - what's he get, 10% - and the printed books industry, now that no one is bemoaning us killing trees
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

In retrospect, you are correct about the library, but that would have required 2-3 trips and Amazon is a point and click away....I took the easy route.

However, the point was about the ease of reading on a Kindle rather than paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Why didn't you borrow them from your local library to begin with? If my local doesn't have it on the shelves, they can get most any book, in print or not, thru interlibrary loans. Usually within a week. They also offer several e-book services for Kindle or audio downloads, 'checked-out' for 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Of course, it's nice you contributed to KWP's buddy - what's he get, 10% - and the printed books industry, now that no one is bemoaning us killing trees

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post

"Concrete" was (John was correct here) a piece of shit. It is a coffee table book. .
    You should have said that his opinion is Reinforced.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    You should have said that his opinion is Reinforced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post

Hmmmm...must be architectural humor.....

Blog Entries

Too early in the day?

Reinforced concrete?

Blog Entries

Ohhh...I got it (the first time).

I'm slowly moving my allegiance to Kindle as well.
    It's just so convenient to read on a tablet, well lit, light in the hand, with adjustable type size. One problem: When I fall to sleep and the book eases out of my hand onto the floor, the damage is minimal and limited to the book.

When you are reading What Hath God Wrought (thanks a lot, Bruce - I'll never finish that sucker),, the weight starts to really make a difference.

Uber-liberal and free spirits, Marilyn, Reese and I spent a lot of time talking politics. The lived across a canal from me, with Unlikely tied to their side of the canal,, and my Jolie Fille, to the other.
    Marilyn WAS much younger than Reese. One memory that is seared into my consciousness was from a morning I happened to be in her kitchen.
    She was trying to secure a curtain or blind over the sink, and climbed up on to the sink to get better access.

Her skirt lifted up, and I was presented with an eagle-eye view of -everything ---- as she scrambled up onto the sink,, one knee at a time).

They were great neighbors. Reese swam every day, and was proud that he could bend over and touch his toes without bending his knees. I cannot do this.
    He was always writing some book. Marilyn manufactured her own jewelry, a totem design that she had developed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...XSQsEAQliSK8M:

Reese purchased his ocean front lot cheaply as it was considered un-buildable. He designed this wedge shaped house that met side lot requirements, and was perfectly adequate for Marilyn and himself. He claimed that he brought it in for $75K, lot included.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Ohhh...I got it (the first time).
    You know a groaner is a groaner when someone groans about it in type :-)
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I'm slowly moving my allegiance to Kindle as well.
    It's just so convenient to read on a tablet, well lit, light in the hand, with adjustable type size. One problem: When I fall to sleep and the book eases out of my hand onto the floor, the damage is minimal and limited to the book.

When you are reading What Hath God Wrought (thanks a lot, Bruce - I'll never finish that sucker),, the weight starts to really make a difference.

Uber-liberal and free spirits, Marilyn, Reese and I spent a lot of time talking politics. The lived across a canal from me, with Unlikely tied to their side of the canal,, and my Jolie Fille, to the other.
    Marilyn WAS much younger than Reese. One memory that is seared into my consciousness was from a morning I happened to be in her kitchen.
    She was trying to secure a curtain or blind over the sink, and climbed up on to the sink to get better access.

Her skirt lifted up, and I was presented with an eagle-eye view of -everything ---- as she scrambled up onto the sink,, one knee at a time).

They were great neighbors. Reese swam every day, and was proud that he could bend over and touch his toes without bending his knees. I cannot do this.
    He was always writing some book. Marilyn manufactured her own jewelry, a totem design that she had developed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...XSQsEAQliSK8M:

Reese purchased his ocean front lot cheaply as it was considered un-buildable. He designed this wedge shaped house that met side lot requirements, and was perfectly adequate for Marilyn and himself. He claimed that he brought it in for $75K, lot included.
    Its funny ....the things one remembers so vividly.

https://www.therealnicaragua.com/For...tic-Panga-Trip

Blog Entries

Yeah, at just over 900 pages, the paperback is unwieldy. I did to it what I did to my Lonely Planet's guide to Central America when I first venture to these here parts: cut it up. Took a box cutter to the binding to handle only the chapters I was interested in reading. At first it was the story behind the war with Mexico. Lately it's the conquest of Florida and the expropriation of lands Indians cultivated in the South. As I peel off pages, I toss 'em on the floor. It's useful to keep a map page handy for further reference.
    Reese swam every day, and was proud that he could bend over and touch his toes without bending his knees. I cannot do this.
    Supposedly, with heels against a wall, men can't, but some women can touch their toes. A fun party test is to ask someone, keeping heels against a wall, to pick up a chair in front of them - men can't, women can.This is certainly not the most interesting anatomical difference between the sexes.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.