Thread: Heads up for Guates

Default Heads up for Guates

The inlaws of a friend of ours were turned back at the border. Seems Guates need to give Nic 7 days warning before they can come. This is an anti-gang thing, it gives the cops a chance to run them thru the computer.
    They used to have the same thing for Salvadorans, not sure if it is still in effect.

We are still trying to find out if it applies to our Nic relatives who are residents of Guate. The kids may be Guate citizens, so it gets tricky.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

Default Re: Heads up for Guates

Guate Mala!

So much for the C4 thing. I chat with the migracion people if they are in the mood (generally are). That passport swipe through the computer supposedly accesses the Interpol database. The last time I came through they told me that the C4 computers were not interconnected (which doesn't make a lot of sense,, it wouldn't take much of a server or much storage to maintain a database of people going back and forth).

The borders are generally so porous that unless you are driving,, a quick por monte detour will get you to where you want to be.
    Even with CR supposedly watching their borders more carefully a lot of Nicas are passing back and forth to work illegally in CR.

Like us with our illegals, there is a lot of aprovechar on the part of the Ticos.
    I've posted a bit in the past about this,, not a warm and fuzzy situation for many but an unskilled Nica can make twice as much in CR as in Nicaragua.

It's not the earnings multiple that they would realize in the US, but it's close, and relatively easy to get back and forth.
    I met one woman in Playa Coco who was pretty much the sole support of a small bed and breakfast,, cooked in the morning,, cleaned the rooms, tidied the common areas, checked in incoming guests in the afternoon.
    She made $300 month and worked twelve hours a day, seven days a week. This was four years ago and salaries are up in Nicaragua, so . . . .she is probably making more.
    She lived in a large Nica encampment,, about twenty minutes from Playa Coco.

People wonder why so few Nicas, relative to the Guates and Hondurenos, make the journey al north, and I think this is one explanation.

They have plenty of work to the south.

Blog Entries

I sympathize with the good folk getting caught in this dragnet. But I feel better about living in Nicaragua since they're making this effort to keep the gang-bangers out, tattooed skulls and all. It's a tribute to DOS & the Sandis that the Narcos haven't taken over yet. (Or Big Pharma with its devil-cares-less mass production of opioids.)

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    The borders are generally so porous that unless you are driving,, a quick por monte detour will get you to where you want to be. Even with CR supposedly watching their borders more carefully a lot of Nicas are passing back and forth to work illegally in CR.
    Like us with our illegals, there is a lot of aprovechar on the part of the Ticos.
    My sis-in-law is a case in point. Years ago she visited us to give birth. 'We' raise her kid (it takes a village). Meanwhile she works in CR and wires money. On rare occasions she visits. So while her "hubby" (married to a Tica; separated?) drives across and waits, she walks around. No big whoop.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

The relatives come by bus for xmas. We called them with the heads up and they said it didn't apply to them, only to maras. Let's see mama talk her way thru aduanas with her 20 year old Guate son. Here's hoping, the kid is an agreeable nerd type, no threat to anyone.

Say a prayer for me, this xmas relatives coming in from 3 or 4 foreign countries......

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Just about every country has a secondary revision point just past the border.
    So it's not a slam dunk, but for the most part they don't change.

I often walk past a border point to get to a customs agent or something on the other side, there is generally a no -mans land between borders, with interesting shops, eating places, interesting if you have the time.
    I could just keep walking in most cases, and jump on the back of a hired MC or get on a bus to continue on.

Where there is a more defined border, such as the river between Guatemala and Mexico there is always a raft to ferry you across.

I had a situation returning north at the Mexico border,, green coffee is not allowed (it's a seed) without a certificate of provenance. Roasted coffee,, OK.
    I had about 100 pounds. and the guy was adamant.
    There is a no man's land with a large hotel and parking, I asked if I could take my coffee to the hotel and make some arrangement for them to keep it.
    So, I turned back towards Guatemala and before I could even pull in the entrance of the hotel two guys approached me about "swimming" it across the river.
    We struck a deal,, I turned back to Mexico, and they were waiting for me about a quarter mile down the road with my coffee.

I've only seen buses stopped going INTO Costa Rica for secondary checks, never in the other countries.
    Someone else might have updated information.

In the C4 the immigration secondary checkpoints double as "keep the customs people honest" checkpoints.
    In most cases you could ferry your stuff across and clear customs with an empty truck (I've had it offered to me numerous times).
    The checkpoint guys are looking for this. As long as you have SOME paperwork they leave you alone.

Of all the C4 countries, the only one that is consistently honest is El Salvador.
    They have these big posters everywhere,, Denounce Corruption! with a phone number.
    Sometimes you need a little corruption . . . not a lot, just a little.
    Honduras used to be terrible, Amotillo used to be a nightmare,, but they have really changed.
    Now it's all smiles and how can we help you??

They are all doing better in terms of efficiency and honesty.

In all fairness, when you arrive as a TOURIST with a load of .... everything but the kitchen sink . . . and want the rules bent a bit for you, a gratuity is often in order