Thread: usps informed delivery

Default usps informed delivery

The post office in the US has started a new thing if you still get mail there. You can open an account online and they will send you an email of the face of every letter delivered to your address. Informed delivery does not show a photo of packages, but they give tracking data so you can see where the package was mailed and figure it out from there. The jury is still out on whether I want to see all my old junk mail or not...

While on the post office theme, the correos in Esteli has moved, it is 1/2 block s of El Quesito. Also, I sent a registered letter to the US recently and it took 30 days to get there. Correos said this is normal. Still waiting for some important docs by mail from the US for 5 months. Worst players are the govmint--irs and ss have many things they won't do online or online out of the US.

Anyone have recent experience with DHL or anyone in the countryside?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Default Re: usps informed delivery

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    The post office in the US has started a new thing if you still get mail there. You can open an account online and they will send you an email of the face of every letter delivered to your address. Informed delivery does not show a photo of packages, but they give tracking data so you can see where the package was mailed and figure it out from there. The jury is still out on whether I want to see all my old junk mail or not...

While on the post office theme, the correos in Esteli has moved, it is 1/2 block s of El Quesito. Also, I sent a registered letter to the US recently and it took 30 days to get there. Correos said this is normal. Still waiting for some important docs by mail from the US for 5 months. Worst players are the govmint--irs and ss have many things they won't do online or online out of the US.

Anyone have recent experience with DHL or anyone in the countryside?

I'm trying Optima for the first time.
    https://www.optimacargo.net/index.ph.../puerta-puerta

They ship weekly from Miami.
    If they would offer some consolidation service, it would be perfect.
    However, they don't consolidate.

Their price averages $2.50 a pound, higher for electronics, less for books and clothing.
    There is a $25 minimum. Pickup in MGA,,, or deliver to Estelí for $35 extra.

I'm shipping some stuff for friends in the box, and some documents.
    My box is mixed from everything from used clothing to a charger for my solar system.
    Lots of small odds and ends that are difficult to find in Nicaragua.

Others have used this service before with good results.
    We will see, and I will report my results.
    Supposedly the shipment leaves Miami on a Wednesday and arrives in Managua ready for pickup the following Wednesday.

The $2.50 /pound price includes "average" customs charges, with things like a laptop or TV costing extra (because of the additional customs charges).

I've been doing a bit of "consolidating" while I'm in the US, for myself and friends. I invariably mule things when I drive.
    I rarely use EBAY now as I can find almost everything I need on Amazon, and I get free two day delivery.
    So, the potential is there, ship to Optima, they throw it all in one of the totes,,, then ship,,, just a few details need to be worked out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-17-G...FYWIZAodFZwMxg

I actually buy the totes at Costco, about $8.50 each. They sometimes go on sale for $6.50.
    Amazon has a good price too. There are two sizes, and I used to get the smaller totes for $6 from Sears.
    If you are driving the totes are the only way to go. Dirt and water-proof, easy to open for inspection

This shipment was originally going to go with someone flying from Lauderdale to MGA on Spirit.
    I was paying for an extra bag, I seem to remember $50 for 40 pounds. Pretty reasonable.

But, it got caught up in IRMA and missed the flight.
    I had to have the original box shipped back to Arizona
    Something got added every day and the tote
    is now up to 65 pounds,, but it's finally out of here
    I'm shipping it Fed Ex Ground to Miami for $60. Post Office was $119

This would be a do-able thing if the expats in Estelí could ever get together and cooperate on things like this.
    A shipment every month could meet many needs.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 10-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Blog Entries

el duende grande I have used DHL here in Jinotega. They can get a bit pricey but it works. An overnight document takes 3 to 5 days to reach Jinotega from Denver , Colorado and cost $80.00. The delay is in the transfer from Managua to JInotega. I did pick up my legal envelope at the office in Jinotega. DHL's online tracking is good and I could follow the item the whole way. They get more expensive for items needing to go through customs. They charge $40.00 to act as your agent with aduanas and will take a credit card to pay customs fees and agent fee. Aduanas takes 2 to 3 days with them acting as your agent and saves a trip to Managua. The item then takes 2 days to get to Jinotega after passing aduanas. The Managua DHL office does have some English speaking staff and respond with in a day on emails.

Ok, thanks. I checked DHLs website and they have an office in Esteli. I'll wander by it some time to verify.
    I did their online estimate. It choked 3 times before finally accepting Esteli as an origen, but I got a quote of 50 bucks for a document to AZ.

Also, last year I did a whole series of transactions thru DocuSign online, but this year I had a problem with another bank in the US, probably due to poor training on the bank's part. That's when I finally just sent a certified letter that took 30 days. More an more internet is being accepted for signed documents and fax is becoming out of date. The post office in Esteli no longer does fax so you have to hunt down a private company and pay a buck a page.

Pirate- I generally check things on Amazon, ebay, and some brick and mortar stores to see who is best for shipping stuff to AZ. Walmart and home depot now have online shopping and usually free delivery. A tip for Amazon--click on the other vendor buttons and sometimes the other vendor has the same price with shipping but no AZ sales tax, so it is better than Amazon price wise.

Having a relative mule down a camera lens, you have to go on your account to add an extra name/address so ebay and paypal will ship to them.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Ok, thanks. I checked DHLs website and they have an office in Esteli. I'll wander by it some time to verify.
    I did their online estimate. It choked 3 times before finally accepting Esteli as an origen, but I got a quote of 50 bucks for a document to AZ.

Also, last year I did a whole series of transactions thru DocuSign online, but this year I had a problem with another bank in the US, probably due to poor training on the bank's part. That's when I finally just sent a certified letter that took 30 days. More an more internet is being accepted for signed documents and fax is becoming out of date. The post office in Esteli no longer does fax so you have to hunt down a private company and pay a buck a page.

The world is really changing. And changing fast.

Everyone seems to be going to an "account users get a break ,, deal,, casual users without an account pay through the nose"
    Even the USPS. Their rates have almost doubled.
    USPS delivers Sunday for Amazon, no extra charge.
    I used to work for USPS when I was going to college. What a bunch of sluggards they were back then.

I used to get a really great rate from Fed Ex when I was in business. Some of MY customers paid 30% of retail.
    I use my son's account now, it's about half If I walk in with a pre-printed label with his account.
    Just doing the label on-line gets you a discount of 15%, as opposed to walking into Fed Ex Office.
    Anyone can set up an account.

The shipping outfits, like the the company I use for my mail service, PostNet,, bend you over big time, if you try to ship something, and then add $5 for a box.

Amazon: I shop the alternatives too, have accounts set up so it's fast. Walmart, Sears,
    Thing is, Amazon has everything, and a good selection of everything as well.

I got a mess of mason jars recently from Walmart, 50% less than Amazon.
    We use mason jars for much food storage in Nicaragua,, big plastic sealable containers for flour, rice,, cereal, etc.
    Rubbermaid.

Nuts sealed in a mason jar will last a long time.
    I have to keep buying them as they keep disappearing.
    The mason jars, but good nuts are really hard to find too

The whole shopping experience is changing.
    Amazon wants to put a special lock on your door,, delivery person uses a one time code to open door and put the package inside your door.
    Camera inside snaps a picture of the door opening and the package delivered.

Interesting: most UPS or Fed Ex ads show a black delivery person.
    THIS commercial features a fresh-faced white girl with a ponytail opening your door and dropping off your package.
    Stealing packages from porches is big business in some cities.

The 2-day deal is pretty good, it's gone up to $90 a year, but price is right if you order a lot, they don't seem to care what it weights,,
    I hear that they are getting it down to 1-day shortly.
    Amazon allows four users on your account to take advantage of the free 2 day shipping.

You can typically order before 10PM, and get your package next day for a small shipping bump.
    Otherwise it will be there the day after.

Other changes: All the grocery stores now offer delivery. Set up an account and you save at least 25%.
    You can shop off your smart phone. It's not all it's cracked up to be, but I imagine some people use their computers at work.
    With a big screen it would work better..

No more paper coupons,, load the coupon or weekly deal on your smart phone and it automatically gives you the price at checkout.
    I have Frys, Albertson's and Safeway on my phone. Some killer deals,, Nicaragua it's not.
    You can print out a shopping list,, you specify a store, and the list is laid out in the order you walk down the aisles of that store.

Jeff Bezos is now the richest person in the world.
    I think Putin really is, but at 900 billion for Jeff, does it matter??
    Amazon continues to grab market share. He'll be the first trillionaire shortly.

I stayed in a bad part of L.A. a couple of years ago for a couple months. People were getting doorstep dropoff, but Amazon had a deal with some local stores where they could send stuff to the store and you pick it up on your way home from work or whatever. Probably better for people who live in apartments or next to the neighborhood thief.
    I tried same day delivery once, and surprise surprise, there was my stuff at 9 pm in the ghetto, West Indian driver and all.
    But Nic is coming along, a couple weeks ago maxipali installed self serve/electronic signature card readers at checkout. No more muchacha pulling Bic pen out of her hair. Chip cards are taking over, too.