Thread: The week electric.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default The week electric.

So the last 3 days of our stay was very (Non) electric.

Not for us, but for the street.

Mondongo Angelita lost power (DNDS pulled the plug) on the 27th. Chilo says that they play the electricity loan game (3 or 4 months no pay, then pay off at the last min) like my SIL does.

Don Bayardo, who lives 2 doors, down lost power 2 years ago for no pay - Last trip they were backing the wrecker up every nite to the pole and reconnecting - Apparently DNDS did something to the pole now so it is not as easy and they have stopped trying.

You may have recalled me typing about the empty lot between SIL house and my SIL's - SIL. Well the lady who owns that plot (who is again somehow related and has been in Miami the last 30 yrs) passed away earlier this year. As the documents and stuff unwound it became apparent that (my) SIL's SIL had topped into (her) SIL's meter (at the empty lot) drawing power for her house. Apparently, DNDS found out by the coconut telegraph, investigated, found the tap, and have shut down those two meters until "Things" are figured out.

So other than Marta, the church, and Dona Lucy with a house front pulp, this end of the street was pretty dar the last few days.

So it looks like they heydays for "power jumping" are on the decline, or they are in lower-middle-class neighborhoods anyways.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: The week electric.

Stay tuned for the next episode of “As the Electric Meter Turns.”

Let there be light!
    We got our street lights in, well 2 out of 3. 2 people on one end of the block didn't want to chip in so like they say back home, "screw you".

Process is simple. A neighbor with extensive contacts in city hall starts the process until the run around exhausts her. Then a neighbor on the other street goes to Disnorte and got the true poop and started the process for his street. He's a retired army officer with a Get-her-done attitude. Enough people chipped in that they put 5 lights on 2 blocks so they are loaded for bear. It took maybe 10 days after they bought the lights and did the paperwork.

So my wife took up the challenge, armed with coaching from the neighbor and only had to talk to about a dozen people between Disnorte, Sinsa and Cubas electricas. I almost skated thru the thing unscathed, but low and behold 2 Disnorte contractors showed up to do the installation. Do you have the bolts? No, says the little woman, they didn't tell me about no stinking bolts. "OK, the people in the office don't know anything, we'll call the shop". Soon a truck shows up with 2 more men and a handful of big bolts. Then they opened the boxes sealed by Sinsa to find the light bulbs were missing, all 240v 150 watts of them. Called Sinsa, they said it just couldn't be but they could review the security tapes to check, which didn't happen quick and It was getting late and there were now 4 men standing around, not including me because I don't count. So we head of to Cubas electricas to buy the bulbs, with a lineman riding shotgun with me to make sure we get the right bulbs, which he double checked when we got there by calling his supervisor. In Cubas electricas, you need to talk to 5 people minimum to get anything done on a good day. Fun, a round trip thru the whole damn ghetto at rush hour.

So they installed the bulbs with moderate success, batting 500 you might say, they worked fine 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off. It was dark, they said they would come back the next day with bulbs that work and they did.

Then Sinsa called and said they found the bulbs they said were sealed in the box but we couldn't get a refund on them because they were not a separate item and were only sold with the complete light assembly. So later my wife stopped by and got the bulbs which are absolutely worth less to us.

But, we gots light! I think the cost per light was $140 or so, fixture and arm. Split between several people it gets cheap. Like Pirate's transformer, once it is installed you gift it over to Disnorte and they are responsible for maintenance. The houses on the block get the energy cost billed to their monthly bill. Such is progress.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Save those extra bulbs! They could come in real handy one day.

I'd run me a 220 line to nowhere to use them just for spite except I think they need ballasts or something!

Blog Entries

I bought 6 of those 18W 12V LED spot lamps (3 for the snow blower, 3 for other small projects.) They ARE BLINDING.We will put up similar units on our 4 corners for overnight illumination and at $ 10 a pop (Canadian) today, a steal of a deal. If you want to wait the 6 weeks from China you can get them for $7 CDN each.

Blog Entries

You gotta link for those lamps? Are they on Bangood?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

My memory is failing - It was 8 of them and it was $7 CDN from a Canadian seller http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8X-4inch-18W-...49.l2649Tested 2 of them from my work shed soffit - 8 root up, pointing out on a 45ish angle lit a 9' circle to almost daylight on the ground. This fellow got them too me in 5 days - There are other US and Chinese sellers for what looks like the same package.

Blog Entries

I like the rechargeable solar lights for this, no need to worry about the power being cut off.

I have a few of those. Just enough light to see if somebody is there.
    Last year in AZ I found a battery operated led motion light at home depot. The relatives are trying it out, Point being it didn't need to be in the afternoon sun with reflected heat. It's tucked up under an eve in shade and illuminates a dark corner.

Can't beat light at night and with everyone else dark the ladrones will hit their houses.
    Cheap alarms like the ones at harbor freight are outstanding. Again, you just want the thief to go next door. Prevention is everything in Nicaragua. You'll never get satisfaction from the police in the case of a theft.

And you think Disnorte is bad??? I had a window broken in a truck and some tools stolen. I did the denuncia even though I knew I was wasting my time.