Thread: Crossroads South

Default Crossroads South

On December 28th, I walked to the crossroads yet again, because I had one last path left to explore.

I (once again) didn’t take any photos until I turned south at the crossroads. However, as luck (or its lack) would have it, clouds rolled in to block clear views of the volcano and rain started up around that same time.

I spent most of my time on the southern trail trying to stay dry. I passed some people coming up the trail (one on horseback). The trail is rough and narrow, more so than the one to Moyogalpa or to La Concepcion.

It led me past a few extremely poor communities and the garbage dump for Moyogalpa and maybe for all of Ometepe. This clearly not a trail that tourists travel (or are meant to travel). I made it without any incidents, but I don’t recommend that anyone walk this (especially not alone). It is probably the most dangerous area on Ometepe.

The trail widens to a road and passes by the air strip just before it connects to the highway. I managed to get some photos around the air strip, because the storm was passing.

I followed the highway to Moyogalpa, and as I walked across the air strip, I was able to take some photos of a rainbow. This walk was less than 11 kilometers.

Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crossroads South

Dangerous, from two-legged predators?

Been busy as heck recently. Finally got some time and caught up on your writings. Good reads and pics as always, Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Dangerous, from two-legged predators?
    Yes. This isn't the case for most of Ometepe. I was able to take walks at night in the centers of both Moyogalpa and Altagracia.
    Soy el chele mono.

I think every town or neighborhood has its criminals . If you are lucky the lpcals will point them out or tell you where they hang out. I stopped once at a little stream in Madriz or someplace to walk around. On the downhill side were women washing clothes. Safe enough, but the water was gray from the deterrent and pretty ugly, so I started walking uphill. A little kid came out of a house and exchanged the usual pleasantries, but told me not to go to the pozo (swimming hole) because that's where the vagos hang out and rob people. I walked up a ways to a barbed wire fence and then turned back.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

This has been a very wet year, following a wet last year.
    This is supposed to be THE TIME for the Caribbean side, but it's been steady rain, night and day.

Gusty winds. Im going to throw caution to the winds and head to Big Corn tomorrow morning.

Windy, cold and constant rain on the farm too.

It's a good thing the Global Warming crowd came up with that "Climate Change" alternative.
    Can't lose with that one

Blog Entries

For a really good time, take the panga to Little Corn. Pick a time when it is raining and blowing 20 knots.
    I once saw a guy crying and praying at the same tome. Not sure he ever took the panga back to Big Corn.
    Ahhhh Nicaragua....it ain't for pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    This has been a very wet year, following a wet last year.
    This is supposed to be THE TIME for the Caribbean side, but it's been steady rain, night and day.

Gusty winds. Im going to throw caution to the winds and head to Big Corn tomorrow morning.

Windy, cold and constant rain on the farm too.

It's a good thing the Global Warming crowd came up with that "Climate Change" alternative.
    Can't lose with that one
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Poor timing for Coast travel....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

A small country between 2 big oceans, lotta weather change from day to day and year to year.
    Drizzle in jan and feb in Esteli, really weird. High night time humidity makes sleep more difficult. Temperature may only vary 3-4 degrees F during 24 hours, but humidity can bounce by 25% RH.

If last year was Fly Year, this year is Flea Year. Gusty winds, allergies up the kazoo for sensitive people.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Never did get on the Big Corn boat,, just too nasty even for long time sailor. Now it's beautiful, Sunday morning coming down in Bluefields. No boat until Wed,,

I think that I'll take another bite next year. End of Feb, beginning of Mar.
    We stayed at the Caribbean Dream here, $27 on a debit card, hot water and A.C..

BLUEFIELDS is not exactly a destination resort. Didn't feel it was dangerous,, just dirty and loud.