Thread: Moyogalpa to Air Strip Beach

Default Moyogalpa to Air Strip Beach

On January 3rd, I walked from my room at Rosemary down to the dock looking for a bus to take me out to the San Jose port. My plan was to get off at San Jose and then explore down by the shore from that point. However, I started too late in the day to make it out there and back again without worrying about missing the last bus, so I just started walking south along the shore.

I didn’t make it very far before the old road/beach disappeared entirely (thanks to the highest water level of the lake). I had to walk east back up into Moyogalpa in order to turn south and then west to get back to the beach, but once again I ran into a dead end.

Despite my failure to find a stretch of beach to follow up to this point, I saw some beautiful sights and was able to take a few nice photos. My energy level was high, so I decided to just keep doing what I was doing (cutting back up and over and then back down) to follow the beach as closely as possible.

The next dirt road down to the shore got me to another dead end after cutting south just a smidge along the beach between some houses. I could what I thought was a path through a bard wire fence and around another house, but I don’t cut through private property without permission.

A kid was playing nearby, and I asked him the best way to get beyond that dead end. He told me that I could backtrack, but then (I think because he noticed the disappointed look on my face) he told me that I could cut through the property right there and follow the shore as long as I was willing to get my shoes wet.

I thanked him, crouched down, and twisted to get through a narrow opening in the bare wire fence. I sliced open my forearm on my way through. It wasn’t too deep, so I just ignored it.

The “beach” beyond that house was what looked like a game trail over some rocks right at the end of the lake. I didn’t get my shoes wet, but if I had slipped an inch, I would have. I followed it as far as I could, and it felt like a good ways.

Where the trail ended I found a fancy metal gate leading inland and a couple of women swimming in the lake. They shouted flirty things at me. I asked them if I could go through the gate, and they told me no, that it was private property (not theirs, but private).

I backtracked a bit to a trail that cuts east. When I followed this trail, I came out in a small neighborhood that I’d never seen been hidden behind a baseball field. It’s about half way between Moyogalpa and the air strip.

I followed a road out of that neighborhood to a dirt road that I recognized from a previous walk to Puesta El Sol. To get there, I had to turn west (down to the beach) right about there (the very next turn).

This time, I decided to go straight to see where the road goes. It turns out that it runs into the air strip. I had to take a road towards the beach before hitting the air strip and then follow the beach to get around it.

I really enjoyed the views on the thin strip of beach between the lake and the edge of the air strip. I took a lot of photos there before moving past it. I ran into some angry dogs and sketchy looking guys once I got past the air strip.

I opted to take a dirt road east up to the highway (parallel to the air strip). I took the highway north towards Moyogalpa, but I decided to head west again on a tiny trail that winds through some houses to get back to the dirt tail so that I could follow that back to Moyogalpa instead of walking on the highway.

Except for the barb wire slice on my arm, I was pleased with my fallback walk. There are some beautiful out of the way spots along the shore relatively close to Moyogalpa that I’m pretty sure no other tourists explore—but should.

Soy el chele mono.

Default Re: Moyogalpa to Air Strip Beach

Here are the rest of the photos:

Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

... I don’t cut through private property without permission.
    In my limited experience Nicas in the countryside don't get uptight about someone crossing their land, just so long as you close the gate again after passing thru. However, you can get shot in many States for trespassing, so I can understand your attitude.

It all brings to mind the Lord's prayer. After saying give us our daily bread, the Catholic version asks,
    forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
    For a religious society, this would seem to loosen that aspect of 'private property', whereas 'to steal' is clearly against a fundamental commandment, 'to trespass' is not.

I was raised on a different version:
    forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
    I don't think it was intended to make me a better capitalist, but what do I know?

I ... crouched down and twisted to get through a narrow opening in the bare wire fence. I sliced open my forearm on my way through. It wasn’t too deep, so I just ignored it.
    Had your tetanus (DPT) shot as a kid, I presume.

What's with the abandoned apartment housing? Looks more livable that many shacks people call home here. I would assume it was built by the party not currently in power, and thus left for the weeds.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post

What's with the abandoned apartment housing? Looks more livable that many shacks people call home here. I would assume it was built by the party not currently in power, and thus left for the weeds.
    I was thinking motel - you can see where the air conditioners would have been. But they'd be serviceable apartments as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I was thinking motel - you can see where the air conditioners would have been. But they'd be serviceable apartments as well.
    Same thought here. Someone with ties to the States as Window Units were never common here. Lot of them on the Island but all came from the States.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe