Thread: Ramos Teresa Sincapa

Default Ramos Teresa Sincapa

On January 3rd, I took a bus from Moyogalpa towards Altagracia around 11:00am. I paid C$13 to get off at the 2nd turn/stop past San Jose—called Ramos. I’d checked out this area via Google Earth, so I had a vague idea that the dirt road that descends from the highway at Ramos would take me down to a beach after a bit of a walk.

The walk down the hill was mostly shady (thanks to trees), and it was downhill, so it was easy going. I passed some houses along the way and they struck me as peaceful. I heard sometime say “Hola,” but I couldn’t figure out where the person was. I looked around until the same person said “Hola” again to help me zone in on her. It ended up being a nun, or a woman dressed like a nun that I imagine is a nun. I’m not Catholic, so I’m not 100% sure. In any case, her smile and friendliness were contagious.

I found a spot along the dirt road where a low rock wall was broken a bit (indicating the people would cross it there). I took a detour to climb over the wall and walk out into the field beyond. There, I was able to see both volcanos clearly to either side of me. This in-between (the volcanos) area might be my favorite spot on Ometepe.

The dirt road runs into the lake at a beach and line of houses called Santa Teresa. The road turns left and follows the beach for a ways, but I could force myself to follow it for a good 10 to 15 minutes. I was too enchanted with the shaded bit of beach right there.

A horse was tied to a tree, and so he made it into a few of my photos. A little boy was climbing up on a dead tree just off the shore and then diving off the far end over and over. It looked like a good time. If I had trunks or if I didn’t have to walk all the way back out to the highway, I would have gone in…

When I did walk down the beach, I took many more photos. I kept going until the road diverged from the beach. I asked a woman (who lived there) if I could walk across the island to the beaches on the far side. She told me that I could, but I’d have to get wet, because the water level had risen high enough to put part of the path underwater. I asked if she’d refill my water bottle, and she did so.

I turned around and walked back the way I’d come. When I made it to the end of the beach, I took a turn to the left instead of going straight back up the hill. I was fairly certain that this side road would take me out to the highway at the first stop past San Jose (called Sincapa).

A beetle was pushing a ball of poop across the dirt road. I was compelled to stop and watch it push its prize as I contemplated my own journey through life. It was easier for me to relate to this beetle than I’m entirely comfortable with in retrospect.

I passed a community with a water tower (called Sincapa) and then I came across a side road that goes down to a beach hotel called Tesoro. I walked down there just to take a look and take a few pictures, and then I climbed my way back out to the highway.

Less than 50 yards from the highway, I saw a bus pass by heading towards San Jose and Moyogalpa. I knew that I’d just missed the bus, and that there likely wouldn’t be another one for a long time, so I decided to walk the highway to San Jose instead of just standing there to wait for the next one.

A large group of howler monkeys were hanging out in the branches of trees that extend out over the main highway. They reacted to me when I got into range, but they let me get close enough for some nice photos.

I found a turn off to a zip line shortly before San Jose. I doubt that it compares to the ones that I took when I was in Monteverde Costa Rica, but I admit that it makes me curious.

Another bus came by right after that, and I took it. The bus turned down to the port to pick people up in San Jose, and so it took me longer to get back to my room in Rosemary (in Moyogalpa), but I enjoyed the views with the long shadows and the lighting at this time in the later afternoon.

This was my last long walk on Ometepe on this trip. After a month on Ometepe (again), I moved to Managua for a month. I probably walked more in Managua over the next month than I walked while I was on Ometepe, but I didn’t take my camera on any of those walks—because I was walking in Managua.

I’ll probably submit another thread on my time in Managua later on, but for now I mention it just to contrast it with Ometepe. There is far less stress walking on Ometepe than walking in Managua. I have to plan ahead (water and food and bus schedules) more on Ometepe than in Managua, because there are places to buy things all over the place in Managua. The only exception/reversal to this is peeing. I can pee anywhere I want on Ometepe, but despite the fact that many (or most) Nicaraguan men will pee wherever they want in Managua, I can’t get comfortable peeing against the side of someone’s house of where people can see me.

Saludos!

Soy el chele mono.

Default Re: Ramos Teresa Sincapa

More photos:

Soy el chele mono.

Default Re: Ramos Teresa Sincapa

The rest of the photos:

Soy el chele mono.