Thread: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed. Something New

Default Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed. Something New

With emphasis on the New and Blue

I know this guy,, he knows me,, knows that I'm not a vago,,, he had just finished hassling a couple of guys from Moscow (what were the chances).

Weird questions, supposedly I was supposed to go on some webiste and fill out the form 7 days before arrival. Who knew ????? No me,,, not the Moscow guy, not the hippie couple who were pulled off the TICA bus for the interrogation and missed the last bus out. Had to take a taxi to Somoto,, after dark,, rates double, I would guess $30

Guy swore it's happening to the fly in crowd too,,, has anyone else had a similar experience. Supposedly started first of year. Guy didn't have any forms,,, just wrote info down on blank sheet of paper.

Then came getting through aduana,,, total nut including a Right Side pump $199.
    I should bill them for my time, server in Managua not talking,,, can't fill out the polyca (polica).

Could I just give you the money

Anyway,,,

Oddly,,, there was a new, manned,, tourism desk with brochures for Bluefields and even a new map with all kind of highways,, numbered but non-existent. Please come,,, but please don't,, seems to be the new message.

Note to CookShow,,, wear a tie for the next border run.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed. Something New

I must be too sober - the last paragraph was the only one I could make heads or tails of.

Which border did you cross or which port did you arrive at?

I did the Nicaragua/Costa Rica crossing at Penas Blancas this week (on the 5th leaving Nicaragua and on the 7th returning to Nicaragua).

I went down using normal buses. There's no border crossing reason not to do this, but I find that traveling for 10-12 hours in these buses gets harder with every trip.

I took my large pack with me (even though I had a place to stash it and I intended to return to Nicaragua) because on my previous crossing I was hassled even while trying to leave Nicaragua, because they assumed that I was simply going to cross back into the country immediately (probably because of my lack of luggage). I calculated that they wouldn't hassle me if I had my large pack, and they didn't, but I have no way of knowing for sure if the reason they didn't hassle me was because I had luggage...

I went all the way to San Jose, spent the night, a day, and then another night before I took Ticabus back to Nicaragua. I decided to pay the extra $21 (the difference between taking the normal buses and taking Ticabus between San Jose and Managua) so that I would have an easier time getting another 90 day extension crossing back into Nicaragua. I did this because the last time that I crossed back on my own I was hassled. The man at the desk seemed to be reacting to all of the stamps in my passport showing that I keep renewing. This worked too (I got another 90 days), but I can't be sure that it worked because I had Ticabus run my passport through or not.

I haven't heard anything about a website or a form in order to cross into Nicaragua.
    Soy el chele mono.

Oh, and welcome back.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I must be too sober - the last paragraph was the only one I could make heads or tails of.
    Yes, the note to Cookshow. Poor Pirate got worked over, discombobulated evidently. That was at the El Espino crossing. Is it the same thru Guasale? A CA-4 thing? How about Penas Blanca? A relative recently crossed near San Carlos - it was a cakewalk. I recently extended my tourist visa at Migracion in Managua - a huge hassle, but successful. Almost no other foreigners were there then - word has gotten around it's a dead end.

This may be a tit for tat with the Trump administration, which gave notice to a bunch of Nicas in the US on Temp. visas issued after Hurricane Mitch. Or could it be Roberto Rivas' revenge?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Wasn't just me,, I think my post got truncated, two guys from Moscow, and an European couple who arrived Rica bus were pulled off for the drill.

They talked about something like this for missionaries last year.

I had a new passport,,,

There is supposed to be something on the migration website that you fill out 7 days ahead of arrival

When I get somewhere with WiFi I'll review the post. Place I was at yesterday was terrible.

I have my phone,, and it's working well at the farm, but internet for laptops and tablets still not up

I always get the triple whammy. Migration which normally goes quickly,, then aduana,, then a permiso for the truck.

The have to go in order and can't be done simultaneously as each outfit holds onto my passport for their part of the process.

Adriana is the longest as they rummage through my bins trying to decide what is taxable,, and what is not.

Permiso is usually fast, but was slower this time too. Lots of new people.

I can never complain about what the charge me. And the people are nice.

This time I got hassled about the bin of medical supplies we had. Shelley's surgery center donates more than we can carry,, really nice stuff.

We have no problem crossing into Mexico with the donation so we are just going to find a clinic in Mexico that wants the stuff, and drop it there.

I understand that Niceville has its rules and I respect that.

It wasn't a horrible experience and we were up on the farm about 9PM that evening. The country is evolving and I accept that too.

The guate relative who came in from guate had no problem. He went online 7 days in advance to notify of his intention to come to Nic. C4, no visa, no passport, but you have to give notice so they can spend 15 seconds checking on you. It's an anti-gang thing, but surprising it would apply to furriners other than Guate and Sal.
    Mom is Nica and came with no problems I know of on C4 cedula.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

​Poster/bumper sticker from the 1970s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    The guate relative ... went online 7 days in advance to notify of his intention to come to Nic. C4, no visa, no passport, but you have to give notice so they can spend 15 seconds checking on you. It's an anti-gang thing, ...
    Good to know. I did a few Google searches for the website, but was unable to find anything.
    ca-4 notice of intent to visit nicaragua
    ca-4 7 day notice requirement nicaragua
    It'd be nice to read even tho I sport no MS-13 or other gang-banger tattoos, nor have I pledged allegiance to any narco-lord.

Being easily sidetracked while searching, I did find this month old notice from the US Embassy interesting:
    Travel Advisory January 10, 2018
    Exercise increased caution in Nicaragua due to crime.

Violent crime, such as sexual assault and armed robbery, is common. Police presence and emergency response are extremely limited outside of major urban areas. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from using public buses and mototaxis and from entering the Oriental Market in Managua and gentlemen’s clubs throughout the country due to crime. U.S. government personnel require special authorization to travel to the Northern and Southern Caribbean Coast Autonomous Regions due to crime and transportation safety concerns.
    "Gentlemen's clubs"? In the Wild East?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

"Require special authorization"?????? ................. Pussys.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

If a govmint employee gets in trouble its a lot of read tape for the govmint, and costs a bunch.*
    I take embassy memos with a grain of salt. There is usually some kernel of truth but they are written in legalese and generalizations. Hard to get to the nitygrity. Many are written for govmint employees, corporate types, or dual citizens and don't have much to do with jubilado Fudds.

Nice to know all the folks going to the Duchy of SJDS are not poverty fiends. Maybe they will provide cosmic balance the folks up here in the Segovias.

*Unless you are hillary and let the embassy staff in libya die. You get a Clinton Free Pass.

Note to CookShow,,, wear a tie for the next border run.

Reminds me of my first trip to c.a. A hippy girl riding with me had her "border crossing dress". At the time Belize was very picky and would often not let hippies in, so it came in handy.

Blog Entries

"Border crossing dress"?