Thread: Shitting Squid

Blog Entries

Post Shitting Squid

Other day I asked one of the Guys on a Shrimp Boat if he could get me a pound or 2 of Squid. Be careful what you ask for, 3 - 5# bags got delivered this evening. Another sack with Lobster Tail got dropped off. No charge for either. They been catching Shrimp like Rice so I been eating that near every day, nice big ones, been paying c70# for head off 25-30# Shrimps, cheaper than any meat here. Then there is the Snook

Looks like Calamari and Squids in a spicy tomato sauce tomorrow, that will use a few #'s.

Being Poor is terrible, depending on these sorts of hand-outs. Sometimes the 3rd World Life is hard for the 1st Worlders to believe.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shitting Squid

Oh, to be "poor" like you.....Jesus.....free lobster and squid or cheap shrimp.

Must be tough.....
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

I don't think I have eaten 15# of Squid in my entire life.

Was really wondering how I was going to use up the 5# the 1st Guy brought me, then the 2nd Guy showed up with 10# more, Damn.

Not sure if it the time of year or the weather but my Shrimp Guy (80 years young) has been catching 2-5# almost every night of nice big Shrimps, he tosses a net from shore.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Food grows or swims everywhere, no one needs to go hungry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Food grows or swims everywhere, no one needs to go hungry.
    That is the simple philosophy I have been preaching here for over a decade, surprisingly hard to find believers, easier to hit the nearest Pulperia.
    Ernie K Doe

I bought 6 pounds of shrimp when I was there,, from a boat in the bay,, guy asked C$100, felt like I was robbing him,,, gave him 150

Everybody in the boat looked at me funny . . .shrimp were good, they have this sweet taste when they are straight from water to the pan.

Blog Entries

KWP,
    Are you still in Bluefields? Gonna try to go to the islands again?
    I assume that the shrimp are seasonal....yes?
    I remember one time I was in the Bahamas (Bimini) with my brother. We caught 2 dozen lobsters one day and cooked a bunch for dinner that night.
    We ate so many lobsters that we could not finish them all. We both had that melted New Zealand butter running down our arms and hands. It seems impossible in retrospect, that anyone could turn down another lobster.

Blog Entries

The Shrimp is the cheapest I can remember seeing it in years. Big Shrimp with head on are going for 65 cord #. I pay 70c for head off.

Very seasonal Tom and for whatever reason they are really big right now, few months back they were running small, not worth peeling for me.

The weather looks like it is trying to calm some but it is still pretty wild. Hard rain all night Friday then most of the day Saturday, off and on rain yesterday and the Squalls keep coming through on a regular basis. Saturday night there was Thunder and Lightning most of the night, unusual for this time of the year.
    Last edited by cookshow; 02-26-2018 at 05:52 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Sunday I cooked what Locals would describe as a "Hell Pile" of Calamari, wish I had weighed it before I started. I cooked, and cooked, and cooked some more. Finally the Oil was getting trashy and a little low so I bagged up the rest for another day. The first batches were great, as the oil faded so did the quality but that did not slow down the eaters.

Had planned to stir fry some but was tired of standing over the fire, so called it a day.

Ended up giving a few pounds away, still have 5-6# in the freezer. Have the leftover marinated (but not breaded) Squid from Sunday thawed out in the fridge, guess I will attack it tonight.

If you can get it for a decent price it really is pretty nice, used to buy it from Shrimpers in Louisiana and they taught me to clean it (pre YouTube), easy to work with and cooks quick. With the internet you can surely find a recipe that suits your taste.

When we used to get the bigger ones we would stuff them and cook on the grill or stuff and bake in a tomato sauce, makes an impressive dish.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

What would you stuff them with?

Blog Entries

Cheese, Bread Crumbs, some sort of Sausage, but anything will work. Italian Sausage, Nice Cheese, and Bread Crumbs are Hard to Beat....
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Sounds like something for Melissa to take on.

Stuff, dip in batter and or coat with bread crumbs and deep fry? Squid bombs!

Blog Entries

When I was browsing Squid recipes online I thought about stuffed Jalapenos, looked and sure enough there are Squid Bomb type recipes.

Speaking of Jalapenos, until the last few years they were seldom seen here so I always grew a few plants, now they are offered by many vendors. Things are changing, even getting decent Broccoli and nice Spinach on a somewhat regular basis, until recently those were thing you only saw in MGA.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    KWP,
    Are you still in Bluefields? Gonna try to go to the islands again?
    I assume that the shrimp are seasonal....yes?
    I remember one time I was in the Bahamas (Bimini) with my brother. We caught 2 dozen lobsters one day and cooked a bunch for dinner that night.
    We ate so many lobsters that we could not finish them all. We both had that melted New Zealand butter running down our arms and hands. It seems impossible in retrospect, that anyone could turn down another lobster.

Yes,, our current plan is to try again end of March. Shelley has to be back to work on the 15th,, our new arrangement is, we spend as much time as possible together to avoid distractions.

We still have to haul Sebastian back to the US. He is WAY over on his tourist visa,, haven't figured how we are going to manage all of that.

But, life is simpler than it has been in the past.

I know what you are saying about lobster. Leaving the Hemingway marina west of Havana, I sailed close along the north coast. Guys out on the reef would spot me, one guy holding up two lobsters,, the other rowing his pallet-innertube boat frantically. A buck each, big guys. I snapped off the tails, put them in a mesh bag dragging behind the stern. When I had a moment I'd clean them and them freeeze most of them. I had a rail mounted barbecue, so ate lobster most of the way to isla mujeres. Yes,, you do get sick of them. Too rich.

I gave most of them away to a 70 foot aluminum Swedish school boat that was docked next to me. One of the girls rolled out a mat and did her yoga exercises in a bikini in front of my boat daily. I figured I owed them. And I couldn't eat any more lobster.

They were on a round the world, year-long, "learning" cruise. Great people.

Maybe if I go around again . .
    With my karma I'll probably come back as a shit beetle

Blog Entries

Island will be nuts for Semana Santa. Boats will be running more often from Bluefields but will be PACKED. I am expecting to see a big increase of people out on El Bluff because of the new road.

Rooms on the Island will be scarce, if you are sure you are going you better start planning now.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Speaking of squid......
    How much of the road to Bluefields is not paved?
    Man, talk about a game changer....reliable road to Bluefields?!

Anyone hear from or about Mupitara or Down South Bob?

Blog Entries

When I saw it in December I would say a little over half paved. KWP did it a week or so ago so will have a better idea. They are working 24hrs a day on it and were paving when I saw it. There are 7 buses a day now making the trip via road, they are already reducing the Bluefields - Rama Panga fleet. The road is easily passable in it's current state, I did it in a Taxi with no issues.

Funny, someone just asked me about Dud yesterday and I am about to send up some smoke signals see if I can make contact. Have not checked on DSB in a while, he is back in Texas.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Last night was Calamari Po-Boy Sandwiches. Only the 2nd day of March and think I am maxed out on Fried Food for the month. Still have not Stir Fried any but that is coming, found a cool Korean recipe that I want to try.

Think I am down to 5# or so of Squid, I have a feeling more is in my future. The Shrimp Veda (season closing) is end of March so all the boats are out making the final push. Depending on who you talk to Lobster Veda started yesterday, seems they are letting the smaller boats have a little more time, the hard weather the past month meant lots of lost traps.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Freeze it while you can. We froze pitaya pulp this year for the first time and its nice to have some left in the dry season.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    When I saw it in December I would say a little over half paved. KWP did it a week or so ago so will have a better idea. They are working 24hrs a day on it and were paving when I saw it. There are 7 buses a day now making the trip via road, they are already reducing the Bluefields - Rama Panga fleet. The road is easily passable in it's current state, I did it in a Taxi with no issues.

Funny, someone just asked me about Dud yesterday and I am about to send up some smoke signals see if I can make contact. Have not checked on DSB in a while, he is back in Texas.

It's all very drivable, some of it you have to slow down for. The pavement is poured concrete,, smooth as silk,, light traffic.
    Where Bluefields is going to put the additional vehicles,, I have no idea.