Thread: Ding dong, the TUC is dead.

Default Ding dong, the TUC is dead.

I'm seeing all over Facebook that the Managua bus cards are being discontinued on September 16th. This is the first good news that I've heard out of Nicaragua in many months.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ding dong, the TUC is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    I'm seeing all over Facebook that the Managua bus cards are being discontinued on September 16th. This is the first good news that I've heard out of Nicaragua in many months.
    What is a bus card and what does this mean (to you)? Please elaborate.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Most Managua City buses haven't accepted cash for about 3 years. You had to pay with a pre-paid, refill card. Called a TUC. All the $$ went to the government and was then doled out to the various cooperatives and routes. There were some odd and end mixed use buses, but not many. Basically the government was controlling urban transportation. It all happened at about the same time that they forced them to buy the Russian buses. Payments for the Ruski buses were deducted automatically from the owners/cooperatives. Basically the government controlled everything about the trans system. What I have heard is that the last couple of months payouts to the bus guys didn't happen, surprise surprise as Gomer used to say, and that they all said "vete a la verga" to all the TUC deal and that the company that ran the TUC, it was administed by a "private" company as well, said FU U 2 and is skidding their rig as well. Good and prosperous times afoot.

There are some locals who preferred the cards, because they could charge them ahead of time over their cell phones and not have to worry about carrying change.

However, as a foreigner the cards were nothing but a hassle. When they appeared, I suddenly couldn't use most of the buses in the city--the ones outfitted with card readers. After a while, they adapted to this problem by having people hang out at bus stops who would offer to pay using their card for double the price, but these people weren't at all the bus stops and weren't around at all hours...

Buses are the most economical way to get around in Managua. You can get almost anywhere in Managua with the right combination of 2 buses for a grand total of C$5, or about seventeen cents.

Now that the cards are no longer a thing, I can hop any bus at any time and anywhere.

Now that the cards are no longer a thing, the number of passengers will be more evenly distributed between the available buses making for less crowed rides overall.

Now that the cards are no longer a thing, a visitor to Managua can hop a bus from the airport and take to all the way to Metrocentro for C$2.5 instead of paying those taxi sharks that hang out there and charge in dollars.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

So....in a nutshell, the government (or government appointed entity) is out of the bus transportation loop because they did not pay the bus operators and the bus operators are now collecting their fares directly from the consumers again.....correct?

And thanks for the replies.

So....in a nutshell, the government (or government appointed entity) is out of the bus transportation loop because they did not pay the bus operators and the bus operators are now collecting their fares directly from the consumers again.....correct?

And thanks for the replies.
    That and probably a few other things too. Who knows, as anything that the ALBA/ALBANISA/FSLN/POS really got involved in or gets involved in is going to be convoluted mess. Walking Man is right though, a lot of people liked the cards and once most of the hitches in the giddyup got worked out it was a system that seemed to be OK, but obviously a private company was running things and not the government or INTRAMA. That is a lot of money rolling through a system if you think about Managua. And there was some big money made on selling those buses to the cooperatives and taking the old school buses off the streets. The LADA taxi deal was another nefarious boondoggle. I haven't been in Managua since May of this year but I hope to go back in the fall, I always look around for how many LADA taxis are still running. The government, in theory, got about $16K for over on those POS's, not the defacto president, over 7 years and I think they were all "donated" by the Russki's. Those fucking things don't run worth a shit and they don't last, especially not with Juan Earndheart Jr. of Nicaragua behind the wheel.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Bet the Co-ops are too worried on getting the cash from DOS inc is the real issue.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Cash is king!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Cash is king!
    And pretty soon...US$ will be King.

Blog Entries

And pretty soon...US$ will be King.
    Depends who you read - some claim the USD will cease to be the world's reserve currency. Maybe we'll all go back to gold. Ha ha, fat chance.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kahdafi had an actionable plan to go to a gold backed currency for all of Africa, you see what happened to him. Wonder who got all his gold?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    Most Managua City buses haven't accepted cash for about 3 years. You had to pay with a pre-paid, refill card. Called a TUC. All the $$ went to the government and was then doled out to the various cooperatives and routes. There were some odd and end mixed use buses, but not many. Basically the government was controlling urban transportation.
    We had 2 data points from Apr 16 and Nov 17

So Nov 16 we took a co-op to Pochomille as part of Sandie sponsored visit to Pochomille. The Bus left Achalunica at 4:30 and we were at the beach the entire day. - Talking with the driver he was saying how they still took up to 30% of their riders for cash.

Here they are twining an air line back on on the way back.. :-)

On Nov 17 we watched a game at Denis Martinez (Fantastic facility BTW) and did not want to walk to UCA as it was dark and I had a camera - They took our 6 cord without question. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=e54136c747
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??