Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Box

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Box

Dzs of places including Pricesmart selling security camera systems, really hot item here nowadays, doubt confiscation is an issue, taxation would be my concern.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Aduanas took them away from the traveler. Maybe the person couldn’t pay the duty, I don’t know. I’m still slightly surprised that people think it’s worthwhile to schlepp crap from America than to buy in Nicaragua. The sticker price is only the beginning.

Blog Entries

Likely did not declare it, can bring in up to $500 worth of stuff new in box every 6 months I believe it is, have your receipts and story in order.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

They put a stamp in the back of your passport, no big deal.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Well that was fascinating

About 5 acres of containers - A cacophony of activity as Jamaicans, North africans, Nigerians et al were stuffing containers.

In one it was piled to the top and the back door was open and a ladder placed as a fellow stuffed one more suitcase as (assumed) his wife commanded on.

Our fellow showed up (late) and directed us to his holding container - It was stuffed with fridges, bikes, treadmills, Tube TVs, flat TVs, drywall steps, Dewalt tools, mitresaws et all.

A bargaining session proceeded where a price was agreed upon (2 of our boxes were oversized)

He commented he was the lightest skinned man there.

Everything was placed and a receipt was written.

The box should leave Wed.

I assume he has an in with Aduna as all of this can not get in, at the price he charges, without that line.

He said he sent down a Nissan Versa last year for $2K US all fees in with the shipping.

It all is under my BIL's celdula.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Except it sucked half a page of my passport!
    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    They put a stamp in the back of your passport, no big deal.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Box arrived in Managua today... Now we see how much detail they are paying to incomming containers now..

Blog Entries

Congrats, you beat the xmas rush!

Blog Entries

Sept 8 to Oct 21 (Box actually left the yard Sept 10 I was told.. ) That is almost too quick...

It may also reflect how sparse the input is to the country now with the slow economy - We will see if the customs vultures descend accordingly..

Blog Entries

So Box with 2 - 43" TV's - Tools and some clothing $100

Box with 8hp motor (new) Oscillascope, 4 skil saws, 4 jig saws, 5 drills, 450W UPS, Tile saws, hand saws and sanders - $150

So $250 on top of the original $590 for all 4 boxes - $840 all in..

Hope to sell most of the tools to recoup their cost(s) and all shipping giving us our Sinks, clothes, and other sundries we have packed in there the same time at no cost...

The boxes leave customs Friday the 5th.

Blog Entries

So....these are shipping costs?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    So....these are shipping costs?
    Shipping cost - 4 boxes (2 greater than 2 cubic foot) - I would say 700ish lbs total ... $590

Contribution to the the FSLN ressusitation fund..... $250

Would be a better breakdown..

Blog Entries

Good tools are easy to sell. I brought down several electric tools when I came down. After I got the house built I seldom if ever used any except the jigsaw now and then, and that was rare. Ended up selling it all off after about 5 years of moving them around a few times a year when cleaning the bodega. Sold them all for more than they had cost me. Then like a dumb ass I loaned out the jigsaw, never to be seen again, should have sold it too......
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

These are fair tools - Black and decker, lower model Craftsman, One Mikita 1/2" though which should go for good.

I am just expecting to cover those tools costs (out of pocket) and the shipping of all the other stuffs.

Probably will give the build guys a Skill and a Jig saw if they do a good job.

We have a Habitat for Humanity around the corner from work - Get a Dewalt saw there for $20 - That one stays with me up here..

I doubt the Oscillascope will sell, I may just donate it to one of the repair shops in Masaya. I got it 30 yrs ago and it would have been 10 yrs old at that time.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 10-29-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Blog Entries

I had bought several at flea markets and they were so so, would catch sales at Home Depot or Lowes so had some new. BLADES, buy blades they are pricey and crap here, I had a ton.

I sold my circular saw to a neighbor with the deal that anythime I needed it I could use it, he loved that as I always sent it back with a new blade, I had a stack of them had got on sale at Lowes.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Had a relative send me down a set of tools. Pricey shipping but since I bought them on sale at HD it pretty much evened out. Mucho mo bettah than hauling crap on an airplane.
    also, en serio, view the website of each airline before each flight if carrying ANY lithium batteries. Now they seem they want them upstairs with you and Copa also wants terminals taped, etc.

I had my routine down for years, 2 short 47 lb. suitcases and a 12 liter day pack so as not to fight tooth and claw with United overhead storage space. Last year I had an injury so I left 1 of the suitcases in the US. this year with my CF American Airlines return flight I am planning on 1 suitcase and a 30-40 liter carryon pack. I, too am not happy about passing a land border thru aduanas, but I have long mastered the 1 power tool, 1 laptop, 12 hand tools, 1 tablet dog and pony show. Plus I am tired of hauling crap here, don't know if me or the country is going to kick the bucket first!

I will probably dump the AA flight but I have to wait till I am in the 331 day window to schedule another rt. will chat with AA customer service to see if I can smooze them into a change because they changed my flight after bookiing.

Googled SW. They have no flights to vegas from lib, but some from SJO, 1 daily but most on saturdays. finally found how to see the weekly schedule on SW page, that helps a bunch. Another problem with SW is they do not let you plan in advance by more than a few months. Most big carriers have the 331 day rule which I have always used to get me in the US every 10-11 months at different times of the year, 1 year xmas, next year thanksgiving, etc.

Friend in Panama will be traveling when I come back so that takes the fun out of a long panama layover. But maybe i do Panama anyway, new lens for my camera.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Had a relative send me down a set of tools. Pricey shipping but since I bought them on sale at HD it pretty much evened out. Mucho mo bettah than hauling crap on an airplane. .

BIL Daniel had his entire tool box sent for $600 - I think it 5.5' high - 4'wode and 18" deep . That was before the troubles - Now I bet they would have tacked the extra $200 on top.

Blog Entries

Panama layover, you got yellow fever vaccinne? They may or may not ask coming in but have been sticky about it. No problem if only in transit. Also if over 65 I think some exception perhaps. plenty about it on the web.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

When I was looking most if not all Southwest flight go through Houston, they have tons of flights to Vegas from there, Dallas, everywhere they fly but may have to do the logistics yourself.

I flew SW few times a month for many years and loved them, their awards program was great, plus they fly out of Love Field in Dallas, easy peasy compared to sprawling DFW.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Jet Blue also flies out of SJO and don't think they show up on booking sites, I looked them some but saw nothing great. Watch Avianca, they run great dealsa but you better jump fast if you see anything and you get to fly North in route instead of covering same ground twice.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

So the list of items seems to garnering interest - Probably because the items are priced to cover their cost, their shipping, the shipping for all of our stuff.

While it might be like Kijiji (Owned by Google, our take on Craig's list) where 10 people say they want it two show up and the one that actually has cash wants it at 1/2 price..

The 1600psi pressure washer has 4 people in line to pick up. One Yoga/surfer fellow is even interested in one of the Moca pots..

The Motor will probably have to be listed on the non expat lists to get interest..

Blog Entries

Finally the box(es) were released.

Jimmi (Builder) took one of the old Black and Decker circular saws (7 1/4 and metal build) and a Black Aand Decker firestorm Ni-Cd drill - I rebuilt the NiCad pack a year ago and it turns strong - Gave the equal of $120 US for the pair in cash and decreased work payments.

Everything is intact surprisingly - The dual basin, faux granite, sink with the extendable hose faucet will make me a target for sure... Anyone who will see our kitchen will be looking to extort or rob us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12